Thinking about getting an AMP. Small and cheap, for my portable.
Mar 12, 2006 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nsjong

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've decided to get an amp. Something that has a long battery life and is actually SMALL (unlike some pics posted in the "portable set-up" pic thread).

Nothing fancy, I want it as cheap as possible. And for the price, small as possible as well.

Any recommendations will help.
Thanks!

(my budget is up to $40 if that can actually get an amp
frown.gif
)

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Well you can definately get an amp for that. Quality and others may differ but you can. I recently ordered this so i can basically control multiple cans and adjust seperate volumes http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHHA400

ITs on sale too. Not the greatest but hey look at the price.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 13
maybe you can save up more before buying an amp. you shouldn't sacrifice quality just to get something now. there are some decent amps for just a few more paper, like a go-vibe(if it goes back into production, but the site is taken down, so i dont know what sup) or a cmoy. if you really want something now, i'm sure you can get a good amp in the second hand market. like i said before, dont sacrifice quality just to have something now. that's what i think, at least.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 13
I have a Little Dot Micro+ that should arrive any day now. It's a little above your price range (~$60) but it has an integrated rechargable lithium-ion battery which allows recharging as well as home use via included AC adapter. If it's anything like my original Little Dot Micro, it sounds very transparent, and basically a "wire-with-gain" sound signature (or lack thereof).
www.little-tube.com is the website.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 13
For $40, you can get a new cmoy. Or save up another $20, and get the Pocket Amp v2 which is one of the most often recommended low-end amps. Plus, it ships from Canada.

The Go-Vibe is no longer in production and if I remember correctly, Norm is no longer selling amps. Norm posted to the effect not long ago.

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #7 of 13
Is there an amp that is REALLY cheap that can compete very well with higher end portable amps? Like a "Koss KSC75" of the portable amp market.

The only portable amp that I know that is cheaper and can compete with higher end portable amps is the Portaphile V2^2. This particular model is still pretty expensive though...
mad.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Is there an amp that is REALLY cheap that can compete very well with higher end portable amps? Like a "Koss KSC75" of the portable amp market.

The only portable amp that I know that is cheaper and can compete with higher end portable amps is the Portaphile V2^2. This particular model is still pretty expensive though...
mad.gif

k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
that's a good question but as the old saying goes: you get what you pay for.

does anyone know why norm stop making amp. he posted that more go-vibes will be in production later. but now his site is even taken down. does that mean the end of go-vibe?

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Confirmed, the Go-Vibe is over. You can get one only through the used market now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I have a Little Dot Micro+ that should arrive any day now. It's a little above your price range (~$60) but it has an integrated rechargable lithium-ion battery which allows recharging as well as home use via included AC adapter. If it's anything like my original Little Dot Micro, it sounds very transparent, and basically a "wire-with-gain" sound signature (or lack thereof).
www.little-tube.com is the website.

HOLY CRAPZ ON A STICK!!!! The LDM+ looks AWESOME on specs alone! Good sound quality (well the Little Dots are known for good SQ), internal lithium ion battery, AND a DC jack for less than $100? There's your ultimate <$100 amp right there!!!1!1
biggrin.gif
Everyone buy it now!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43

mad.gif

The X3 is cheaper than the V2^2 by $80.

Mar 12, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The X3 is cheaper than the V2^2 by $80.

The X3 really that good? Are there many reviews on this amp? I guess I'll have to use the search function...

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
For $40, you can get a new cmoy. Or save up another $20, and get the Pocket Amp v2 which is one of the most often recommended low-end amps. Plus, it ships from Canada.

The Go-Vibe is no longer in production and if I remember correctly, Norm is no longer selling amps. Norm posted to the effect not long ago.

I'll second the PA2V2...great little amp! It's very portable, good workmanship, nice sound, works well with lower impedance cans, and the price is exceptionally good.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

So I've decided to get an amp. Something that has a long battery life and is actually SMALL (unlike some pics posted in the "portable set-up" pic thread).

Nothing fancy, I want it as cheap as possible. And for the price, small as possible as well.

Any recommendations will help.
Thanks!

(my budget is up to $40 if that can actually get an amp )

I also highly recommend Gary's PA2v2. Save an extra $20, and get this one.

For $60, you get the amp, a wall-wart type charger (for running from the wall, and charging the two AA batts), and a mini to mini interconnect. The NIMH rechargeable batts are NOT included in the package, to save on shipping costs. You can get those for about $15-20 (for a 4-pack...you should get about 8-years use!), and they are easy to find. A set of regular alkaline AA batts will work too, but you will need to open the amp up once per month to change them. Now you have all you need to hook up to your portable source or comp.

You want great sound with all kinds of headphones, portability, small size, good build-quality, and unbelievably long periods between recharges (how about once a month, if you listen to it 3-hours each day)? You want the stuff you need, to actually be able to use it right now?

Then, you want a PA2v2. For $60-bucks (includes shipping via Canada Post...both of mine arrived within 3-4 days), plus another $20 for the NIMH AA rechargeables, and you have a package that makes unamped listening a bland an uninvolving experience with portable stuff.

Also included is Gary's lifetime repair warrenty. This is taken from his website: www.electric-avenues.com

"Each amplifier has a unique serial number printed inside. I will stand behind this product and be happy to service any amp (at no charge) should anything ever go wrong, and this offer extends for the rest of my life. I'll admit, a few amplifiers have come back for repair and they were fixed, then returned by the next day. Even if the amp breaks and it's your fault, it doesn't matter, I will still fix it."

I am on my second one (I gave the first away, as a gift to my teenaged daughter for Christmas.) Neither has ever broken, always lasts a month or more between charges, and sounds great.

IMO, it's the best way to make the most of whatever headset you like to use, for cheap. And, if you decide to buy one, you're also supporting a fellow Canadian, and contributing to our economy. Best of all...Gary is just such a nice guy to deal with.

Just my loonie's-worth
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 13
i just pulled the trigger on a pa2v2
gary is a great guy to work with; he responded within an hour to all three of my emails
the only thing left is it get a nice pair of NiMH batteries and play the dreaded waiting game

btw, don't purchase it from ebay, do a direct purchase, its much cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back