Thinking about getting a small amp
Sep 22, 2015 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

locke9342

New Head-Fier
I recently got some spending cash ~60 (bit on amazon giftcards) and can possibly go up to 90 if its really worth it. I'm not a huge audiophile but I'm trying to be, I currently have ttpod T1e and california silverado's. Is it worth it to get a small amp? I was looking at the lucid labs cmoy amp in the altoids tin (should I build one?). I listen to a lot of classical, edm and indie. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 9
  I recently got some spending cash ~60 (bit on amazon giftcards) and can possibly go up to 90 if its really worth it. I'm not a huge audiophile but I'm trying to be, I currently have ttpod T1e and california silverado's. Is it worth it to get a small amp? I was looking at the lucid labs cmoy amp in the altoids tin (should I build one?). I listen to a lot of classical, edm and indie. 

ttpod you use are of extremely low impedance of 12 Ohms so most amps would possibly made things even worse. I wouldn't bother with amp at all, especially if you get decent volume (and I assume you do?) out of your current source. Only search for one when you actually would benefit from it, this way you'd just be getting it for the sake of hobby without any actual benefits, or at least not the benefits nearly worth the money. 

However those Silverados might benefit from one, no idea how sensitive they are... 

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 9
  Well I heard that some amps not only amp they also make the sound quality better, if thats not so then I probably won't need an amp for a while

Well I think that is mostly myth and hype in "audiophile" world. Task of amplifier is to amplify sound, less it does the better. 

However, if impedance isn't matched, or if amplifier isn't powerful enough (if headphones are extremely low sensitivity (SPL)) then amplifier will substantially improve sound quality, bass response will be better etc. 

If amplifier is too powerful - sensitive earphones may pick up a lot of noise so it will again ruin overall experience, sound quality or whatever you wanna call it.

Also better amplifiers maybe have less distortion on high volumes or simply make less background noise which also makes better/worse sound quality. 

But you'll see extreme fairy tales about amps how they open new horizons, how they add all kinds of imagination things around, I wouldn't bother with it much, especially not if main earphone you use is so low impedance... if you don't hear constant background noise and if you get loud enough volume without any distortions, you are good to go, save money or get some better earphone should be a better option in my opinion.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 9
First of all, low impedance means nothing when it comes to power requirements.  A headphone at a low impedance could be extremely hard for an amplifier to power, or it could be easy.  All the impedance determines is the amount of voltage vs. current needed to develop a certain power level.  That power level determines sound pressure level (loudness), given the headphone's efficiency (or sensitivity in some quarters).

So, the power required by a headphone is completely dependent on its sound pressure efficiency (sensitivity) and completely independent of impedance, period.

The only reason - the ONLY reason - impedance enters into a power discussion, is because it determines what proportion of power vector quantities (current and voltage) that the amplifier must produce.  Some amplifiers can produce current more easily than voltage (solid-state, battery-powered portables, etc.).  Other amplifiers can produce voltage more easily than current (tubes, desktop amps with mains-supplied power supplies).  Typically, small solid-state devices such as smart phones, small DAPs, etc., are only powered by batteries.  That means their ability to produce voltage is limited.

Low impedance headphones need more current than voltage for a given power level (Ohm's law), whereas high impedance headphones need more voltage than current.  Consequently, small telephones, DAPs and portable amps can power low impedance headphones more easily because they are not required to produce much voltage.

However, as stated above - the power level itself is completely dictated by the headphone's efficiency, period.

Another misconception - Despite many objectivist's opinion, a statement such as "some amps not only amp they also make the sound quality better" is entirely true.  Why is this?  Because every headphone needs an amplifier of some sort - it doesn't matter what the device.  The problem is, many amplifiers that are built into small portable devices, smart phones or sound cards - such that you don't even think of the fact that there really is an amplifier in there - will lead to a predictable reaction once a high-quality amp is inserted into the headphone audio string: "it actually makes the sound quality better."  This is because the lack of power or lack of proper control over the headphone drivers, probably means the sound quality was cr*p from the beginning and the power level the headphones desired was sub-standard all along.

People know what they hear, even if the terms they use to describe it offend the more technically oriented. Opinions such as those shouldn't be discounted as inaccurate, simply because they're non-technical. 
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 9

Another misconception - Despite many objectivist's opinion, a statement such as "some amps not only amp they also make the sound quality better" is entirely true

So, is it worth it? Would the improvement of a 30 buck amp be substantial? If so what amp should I get?

A CMoy is usually always worth it and very inexpensive. You can spend days and weeks just trying out various opamps, in fact.  Here's a great link from a trustworthy DIY-er: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

Tangent is also famous for having the world-standard tutorial on building a CMoy:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/

I would rather build it, though.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 9
  What's the relative cost if I build it as opposed to buying one? Just in case I pansy out what's the best prebuilt one?

I haven't priced it lately, but I'm sure you could build one yourself for $25 or so.  However, that assumes you have all of the tools to go with it and even the hookup wire.  If not, it's going to be more expensive.

The JDS Labs CMoy is probably the most readily available and most customizable.  I would recommend the 2 x 9V batteries if you can, thought.  Two batteries will give the CMoy a very wide voltage swing and the ability to handle almost any headphone to some degree.  I also do not like the opamps JDS uses, but as long as you make sure they use an opamp socket, you can always change that later.  I always preferred the OPA2134 for a CMoy.  The reviews are all in that reference I gave you earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back