Thinking about buying a pair of Grado SR-80i cans
Apr 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Taowolf51

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone!

I own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750 cans, and while I love them to death, I wanted to see if I would like a pair of headphones that were the complete opposite as far as sound signature. While the 750's are very precise and fast, they are also fairly cold. I began looking for more "fun" cans, something with warmer tones and a colored sound. I always knew what company I wanted to go for if I wanted a fun can, Grado. While I did spend a lot of money on my 750's, I don't think I can spend that much this time around. Around $100, with exceptions considered.
I've been looking at the SR-80i's because they fit right in that price frame, but I am always open to suggestions. I'll be using them at my computer powered by my DAC, and outdoors powered by my phone. I don't own an amp yet, so they need to sound good without an amp for now. It would also be nice if they were forgiving of bitrate, while my desktop is all FLAC, my phone isn't, and will most likely be pandora.

I do have one fear, though. I'm worried that my 750's have spoiled me a bit as far as sound goes. I have a friend that has a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros, and when I use those, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. I'm worried that I may get the same feeling with the SR-80i's. Would this be the case, or would the "fun" negate that?
Would it simply be a better idea to spend the money on a warm amp for my desktop, and stick to my current buds for my phone? (Klipsch Image S4).

Also, I haven't really been able to find Grados discounted much on the internet, I heard that this is because Grado has a contract with all of their retailers to keep with the MSRP, is this true? Is there anywhere I can find Grados for cheaper?

And thanks to anyone who can help, you guys have always been a great help! :.

EDIT: Just saw the "headphone advice" thread. My apologies. Mods can lock thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back