Things that can't be measured
Jul 8, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #46 of 77
I have one question though. If everything in the music can be measured why can't it be replicated 1:1?
Measurement(up to whatever resolution we manage to get) does not guaranty playback at that resolution. Also replicated where? Pick the conditions and the list of issues will naturally start popping up. Digital 1 to1 is basic, but I'm guessing you're asking for more than that.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #47 of 77
I have one question though. If everything in the music can be measured why can't it be replicated 1:1?
What exactly is not replicated correctly?
What do you mean by music? Depending on how music is defined measuring it is also defined. Recording signals from microphones for example is measuring one definition of music (sound pressure at the point of the microphones), but that may not be the definition of "music" you want to use?
Recording, mixing and mastering music is creating a definition for that piece music.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #48 of 77
2D81A8A1-DD93-4FF2-9EBE-4777F11E814A.png
050996A0-80E4-4F1C-B3C3-BF2FEAB58D22.png

https://www.davidgilmour.com/press/2005/march/TapeOp_March05.pdf

David Gilmour is into cables. He tested 20. Directionalized!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #50 of 77
David Gilmour is probably subject to brain damage from drugs. I suspect drug use has a lot to do with the magical thinking involved in this kind of stuff.

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #51 of 77
David Gilmour is probably subject to brain damage from drugs. I suspect drug use has a lot to do with the magical thinking involved in this kind of stuff.

Well, "Brain Damage" is one of his songs....

More seriously, this type of thinking existed long before recreational drugs were widely used - I think it's far more complex psychology than that. Humans seem predisposed to following popular thought when it supports their personal views on many topics.

Jul 10, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #52 of 77
22736688-959E-4539-9FAC-3F9A64D0050D.jpeg

Still it’s a fascinating write up about making a house boat into a recording studio. The cables are just one concern. The complete silver solder another. Even if a waist of time and energy to do that, the rest of the project is quite the read.

It must have sound amazing!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #53 of 77
Now come on, we all have a little dain bramage. Don't be a hater.

Jul 22, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #54 of 77
He probably had access to really good brain damage!

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #56 of 77
22736688-959E-4539-9FAC-3F9A64D0050D.jpeg

Still it’s a fascinating write up about making a house boat into a recording studio. The cables are just one concern. The complete silver solder another. Even if a waist of time and energy to do that, the rest of the project is quite the read.

It must have sound amazing!
Maybe it's just me, but a boat like that seems a really risky and kind of stupid location for a recording studio filled with expensive equipment.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #57 of 77
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #58 of 77
Not that PF is recording any more.

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #59 of 77
These changes apparently can easily be heard, but cannot be seen in the frequency response of either the headphone or DAC output. Can somebody point me to the science behind that and how we would go about measuring these effects?

These "things" that can't be measured aren't "things", they're perceptions. All the audio "things" that are actually "things" can be measured. So, the science you're probably looking for is therefore Psychology, although the science of Psycho-acoustics deals with some of them.

Science can't tell you everything buddy! We don't know everything about audio and how it works - its all just magic to a degree!

Yes, science can and does know everything about audio and how it works. How you ever seen inside say and ADC or DAC, are they empty boxes filled with invisible magic or do they contain electronic circuits and chips which follow the rules of science? What we don't know "everything about" is what all humans PERCEIVE when experiencing sound waves produced from the audio.

at the end of the day, trust your ears!

If that were possible, then so much of the audiophile nonsense posted here would simply not exist in the first place. Unfortunately though, what you suggest is not possible, because human beings don't perceive/experience sound from (only) their ears, it's always filtered/processed by their brain. If that were not the case, then music would not exist!

G

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #60 of 77
So if I go out into space and continue to travel in a straight line where will I go? Where does it end, or what point will I eventually end up? Science can’t begin to answer that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back