Thievery Corp
Jun 1, 2005 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a recently-turned fan of Thievery Corp and honestly, I want to get ALL of their CDs, I just love the style and talent these two guys have. I wish they spun their own Internet radio station!

I was wondering though, in what order I should get their CDs, and if I should skip any (a lot of artists have put out dud albums ya know). I already have Mirror Conspiracy and The Cosmic Game, and yesterday I picked up Outernational Sound and Richest Man In Babylon (from Circuit City's $9.99 sale). What are the must-haves I'm missing?

On a related note, I haven't opened the case for Richest Man In Babylon yet, why is it so big? Does it have two discs inside or something?

Jun 1, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 17
You can skip Babylon Rewound unless you're into dub a lot. Anyone can do dub; it's not that special a CD. It's the last CD of theirs I'd buy, if it all. Abductions and Reconstructions is OK though.

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 17
Ah, Thievery Corporation... my favourite.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're missing 'Sounds from the Theivery Hi-Fi' and that is one of their best.
blink.gif

Also, don't just limit yourself to Theivery Corporation CD's... everything that I have heard from the ESL label has been great. Their compilation CD's are amazing.
wink.gif

EDIT: Open Richest Man in Babylon right now and listen to it!
icon10.gif
[it is that size since there is a photography booklet in it]

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 17
"Sounds from Thievery Hi-Fi" is a good album. I put it on par with Mirror Conspiracy. I used to be a huge Thievery fan but now when I listen to it, it just doesn't do it for me. There are a whole lot of bands in this genre you should check out. The ones that come to mind are Jazzanova, Tortise, Talvin Singh. One of my favorites in this basic genre is Tabla Beat Science's "Tala Matrix." Good stuff.

edit: looks like Philodox beat me to it.
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
One of my favorites in this basic genre is Tabla Beat Science's "Tala Matrix."

One of my favourites as well... I also have a live album of theirs that kicks ass.

Have you heard "Talvin Singh Presents Anokha Soundz of the Asian Underground"? It is pretty damn good as well. I've been a big fan of tabla ever since I was introduced to it through Asian Dub Foundation. For some non-tabla percussion, Chronomad is quite good... it is all drums with a bit of sampling and is a project of the drummer from The Notwist.

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Have you heard "Talvin Singh Presents Anokha Soundz of the Asian Underground"? It is pretty damn good as well. I've been a big fan of tabla ever since I was introduced to it through Asian Dub Foundation

Yes, spirit is comparable, but the Asian Dub Foundation is more agressive than Thievery Corporation and by far not as diversified.
------------------------

If you like Thievery Corporation, you also should check out Fila Brazilia. IMO [slightly] more creative and driving. But Thievery Corporation is still screw good. You might as well consider Nightmares on Wax.

All 3 not that much availabe at allofmp3
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
Asian Dub Foundation is more agressive than Thievery Corporation and by far not as diversified.

I'll give you that, but back when Deeder was doing the rapping they were awesome...
cool.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 17
If you like thievery, you should check out 'Federico Aubele' - argentinian guitarist produced by theivery corp - very nice.

Also down that latin/dub alley is 'Gotan project', a french outfit who put out some really great work.

'Tosca' and 'zero 7' may also be worth checking out.

Jun 2, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
One of my favourites as well... I also have a live album of theirs that kicks ass.

Have you heard "Talvin Singh Presents Anokha Soundz of the Asian Underground"? It is pretty damn good as well. I've been a big fan of tabla ever since I was introduced to it through Asian Dub Foundation. For some non-tabla percussion, Chronomad is quite good... it is all drums with a bit of sampling and is a project of the drummer from The Notwist.

If you like Talvin Singh, check out Nitin Sawhney... his stuff is great... very indian inspired. He's influenced the likes of Jeff Beck .... "Nadia" on his latest cd is a Nitin Sawhney cover.

Jun 2, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by drminky
If you like thievery, you should check out 'Federico Aubele' - argentinian guitarist produced by theivery corp - very nice.

Also down that latin/dub alley is 'Gotan project', a french outfit who put out some really great work.

Never heard of Federico Aubele, I will definatley check that out. I've never been a big fan of Tosca, but Gotan Project and Zero 7 are staples in my music diet.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmx
If you like Talvin Singh, check out Nitin Sawhney... his stuff is great... very indian inspired. He's influenced the likes of Jeff Beck .... "Nadia" on his latest cd is a Nitin Sawhney cover.

Yeah, Nitin Sawhney is great, I love his CD Prophecy. For a similar sound with a bit of DnB thrown in, check out Badmarsh & Shri.
cool.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 17
Sounds From the Theivery Hi-Fi is my favorite followed by Mirror Conspiracy. If you like Theivery Corp., you may also want to check out Kruder and Dorfmeister...The K&D Sessions is a must have in this genre.

Jun 2, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #12 of 17
Also pick up the DJ Kicks cd mixed by Thievery Corporation. It has a couple of their songs but it definitely shows their taste in music if you care to branch out of their stuff.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by drminky

Would that recommendation be for Suzuki - Tosca? If so, I echo this recommendation. Great low-tempo stuff.

IIRC it was played on one of the clips from the 'Animatrix' series - the one with the olympic runner.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 17
you know, i used to really like Thievery Corporation (and Tosca, for that matter), but they really don't do anything for me now. i wish i could go back to a point where i hadn't ever heard either group and do it over again, as i might very well like them now, if they were still "fresh" to me.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #15 of 17
theivery is great stuff. nothing beats mirror conspiracy.

also check out:

zero 7 - "when things fall"
massive attack - "100th window"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back