ThieAudio Voyager 3
Mar 24, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 71
Would these work well with Fiio M6?
You would most likely be able to drive them (volume) but you will have quite a bit of hiss, due to the 2 ohms of output impedance.

Mar 24, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 71
Mar 24, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 71
increasing the OI usually further suppresses the noise floor (however it can have some FR skew as a consequence). if there's hiss, it's due to the IEMs being too sensitive for the SNR of the amp under load.

Mar 25, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #22 of 71
@buonassi Well I just noticed that it hisses much more on the balanced 4,4mm port (2 OI) than the 3,5mm port (1 OI), but the 3,5mm still hisses that is why I recommend a source with under 1 ohms of OI. ( This is the "hissiest" iem of all I heard, including other BA iems)

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #23 of 71
These are absolutely phenomenal. Also, this is very interesting:

Attachments

• 1B38D72E-9FC7-4806-8260-B76218B990D8.png
    1B38D72E-9FC7-4806-8260-B76218B990D8.png
    479.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #24 of 71
Getting no significant hiss from my BTR5, don't know if there is a big difference between that and an M11?

Absolutely in love with mine, they have shoved my T4s and N3s into their boxes. Only thing I'm struggling somewhat with is finding tips that I'm able to use over a longer period, as the foam tips I have all seem to "warm up" my ear to uncomfortable levels. Anyone had similar experience with foams, and can recommend something else?

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #25 of 71
Getting no significant hiss from my BTR5, don't know if there is a big difference between that and an M11?

Absolutely in love with mine, they have shoved my T4s and N3s into their boxes. Only thing I'm struggling somewhat with is finding tips that I'm able to use over a longer period, as the foam tips I have all seem to "warm up" my ear to uncomfortable levels. Anyone had similar experience with foams, and can recommend something else?
The BTR5 and the M11 seems to have the Same OI so they should hiss as much. Do you have any other BA only iem that you can compare to? It is when you compare the hiss from the V3 to any other BA only iem that you can really tell it has alot of hiss.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #26 of 71
The BTR5 and the M11 seems to have the Same OI so they should hiss as much. Do you have any other BA only iem that you can compare to? It is when you compare the hiss from the V3 to any other BA only iem that you can really tell it has alot of hiss.

Unfortunately they're the only pure BA set I have, so I guess it would be hard for me to tell. I do have a spot of tinnitus though, so I guess my ears could be less disposed to pick up hiss as well.

When I plug them into my Presonus iTwo soundcard there is quite a bit of hiss, which I guess would be expected. Compared to that the BTR is silent.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #27 of 71
Unfortunately they're the only pure BA set I have, so I guess it would be hard for me to tell. I do have a spot of tinnitus though, so I guess my ears could be less disposed to pick up hiss as well.

When I plug them into my Presonus iTwo soundcard there is quite a bit of hiss, which I guess would be expected. Compared to that the BTR is silent.
Thats the reasons.
1. tinnitus
2. your soundcard seems to have 50 OI and your btr5 is 2 OI so the difference is huge
3. no other BA iems to compare to

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #29 of 71
Why do we keep with the OI? OI isn't creating the hissing. Just because there's anecdotal correlation between a few pieces of gear, doesn't mean OI is the causal factor. Quite the opposite: higher OI can actually help suppresses the noise floor. There are a few reasons that a transducer will reveal the noise floor and OI isn't the smoking gun you're looking for. I'll let you guys do your own research, but here's a hint:

• driver sensitivity too high
  • driver impedance too low
  • amplifier voltage/current too high
  • amplifier SNR too poor
Case in point. My Lake People RS08 desktop amp has 0.15 ohms OI and makes most of my IEMs sound like a white noise machine is playing. Hiby R6 has 10 ohms OI and was dead silent with all my IEMs. That's over 60x the OI and yet, NOOOO HISSSSS.

Sorry, but output impedance (and lowering it) really has nothing to do with hiss.

In fact, increasing resistance on the output of an amp is sometimes used to control hiss. It does this by providing further attenuation of the overall amplifier gain by adding voltage drop through the resistor. Less gain usually means less noise and hiss.

It's true that if you increase the resistance, you may significantly increase the output impedance of the amplifier. If that happens, more effects will accrue than just removing the hiss. So, it's definitely a good idea to stay aware of both goals.

Here's a pretty good guide on using resistors on the output for attenuating amplifiers:
https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 71
Which tips do you like for these? Currently using some cheap foam tips from Ali Express, but struggling a bit with them becoming a bit uncomfortable after an hour or so. Are there silicone tips that would fit these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back