ThieAudio Voyager 14
Feb 24, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #152 of 558
EST drivers very likely. Also I realized I have a limit in terms of how much detail I can handle in my music. I start to lose the forrest through the trees if you know what I mean. I do not suffer from OCD issues.

A bunch of my buddies got their v14 today and the consensus is holy wow amounts of OCD detail, the best BA bass ever, and glorious tuning. Im so glad people like it!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #153 of 558
EST drivers very likely. Also I realized I have a limit in terms of how much detail I can handle in my music. I start to lose the forrest through the trees if you know what I mean. I do not suffer from OCD issues.

A bunch of my buddies got their v14 today and the consensus is holy wow amounts of OCD detail, the best BA bass ever, and glorious tuning. Im so glad people like it!
Have you demo'ed IER-Z1R?

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #155 of 558
Anybody compared the thieaudio voyager 14 to the fearless audio Roland? I need a reason to upgrade?

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #157 of 558
Feb 29, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #158 of 558

From what I know, Thieaudio is a manufacturing brand under Linsoul Audio.
Linsoul composes a team for each new project, bringing together engineers from different manufacturers to lead the product development and production. This is how the Thieaudio Phantom planar magnetic headphones came to be last year. This time, with the aim of making a lineup of In Ear Monitors, Thieaudio started the Voyager series, which will have 3 IEM’s, all in different price ranges. Voyager 3 (3BA, $100-200), Voyager 9 (8BA+1DD, $500-600 ? [This is still in development phase I hear]), and Voyager 14 (14BA, $1000).

I received the Voyager 14 as a loaner for testing and tour in South Korea, and will have to return it back to Linsoul afterwards.

Build Quality

I’ll be brief in describing the IEM itself.

It’s well built. The resin feels solid and durable. It is half full with resin, and half hollow. This is probably due to the vented Sonion bass drivers, which is also why there is a vent in the shell itself. I got a wooden faceplate, which looks really nice. The shell is clear, and it looks like there aren't any kinks in the tubing or wiring. The size is on the bigger side, which makes sense with the number of drivers inside.

Switches

The Voyager 14 comes with two switches, one for the low-mids, and one for the upper trebles.

Both switches (1,1) up gives it a definite V-shape that pushes up both mid-bass and treble. While it’s great for some genres like rock and metal, it’s not my cup of tea (I don’t like V-shape tunings in general).
Low up, High down (1,0) pushes the mid-bass up and just makes the tuning sound sluggish, a bit dark, and mellow. I’m almost never on this setting.
Low Down, High up (0,1) elevates the upper trebles. It’s not necessarily more of a mid-treble bump as it is a high treble, so it will affect the atmosphere, brilliance, and soundstage. This is also a decent setting if you like airy atmospheres or something leaner. It doesn’t necessarily make the tuning brighter; leaner is a better term. This is probably also the most technical setting.
Low Down, High Down (0,0) is a tuning I also like. It’s quite balanced among the other settings, and I love the texture of vocals on this setting. However, it can also give a slightly boxy/nasal tone. I’m almost always on 0,0 or 0,1 settings.

Sound

I will write about the sound in the (0,1) setting.

In general, even with all of the switches down, the tuning leans towards a slight V. Not a severe, or even mild V, but a slight V. This gives it a bit of warmth, but not enough so that it hinders on technicality or the overall balance. I would call the tuning balanced, but also musical. Perhaps somewhere between the Anole VX, Fibae 7, VE8, from memory.

Bass

The bass focuses on mid-bass rather than the sub-bass.
The bass is impactful and can definitely rumble, and in this regard, I will not even add the “for a BA” tag. It’s a strong bass, period. However, the quality of the bass is still like that of a typical BA. It’s not the fastest bass, and with the mid-bass emphasis, it can at times feel a little sluggish and spread especially on 1,1 or 1,0 settings, rather than tight like that of other driver types. It’s a deep and impactful bass, but decay is a bit on the slower side, and not the cleanest texture. The mid-bass emphasis makes bass guitar, tom-toms, and lower register keys sound really great. Kick drum is usually ok, but doesn’t have that super clean punchy texture like from a dynamic driver. Overall, the bass has a nice depth, and is quite solid.

Mids

The mids are on the warmer rather than neutral side. However, vocals are almost never behind (on the 0,0 setting. On the 1,1 or 1,0 setting, they can fall behind). One major strength of the Voyager 14 is the texture of the mids. They are truly rich and well-textured. Well recorded vocal tracks can sound so good, not just in terms of the tuning, but the timbre and texture of the sound. However, on the note of vocals, the Voyager 14 made the tuning decision to cut back on the upper vocal frequencies, which sometimes removes that “bite” and clarity/presence from vocals. This makes vocals sometimes a little hazy and less defined, but in return, it does make for smoother vocal finishes. Whether you like this or not will depend on your cup of tea. Do you want sharper vocals, or smoother vocals? For me personally, I would like a little bit more in the 5-6k area. The extent also depends on vocalist’s range itself. Additionally, it’s not that vocals feel positionally behind, but rather about the quality of the vocal finish itself. Apart from vocals, string instruments, particularly acoustic guitars and keys also have great texture and timbre. In classical music, strings, especially cello, violas, and lower register violins, sound fantastic (this is coming from a performing violist). In violins in the 0,1 setting, E-strings can come off as slightly sharp (probably due to the 1-2k characteristic of the iem) and is much smoother on 0,0 setting. Same with some woodwinds like oboe and clarinet. But other than that, orchestral pieces sound fantastic, particularly due to the soundstage and imaging of the Voyager 14. Texture and timbre. Delicious.

Treble

The extension of the trebles is really great. Every detail is there, but the treble is never harsh or piercing. It’s actually a very smooth treble, that has been well extended, which gives a great airy atmosphere and helps to widen the soundstage. Snare brushes and guitar strings have a nice shimmer to them. Cymbals in general are well balanced and never get in the way with too much brilliance. The one caveat to the treble is that there seems to be a slightly sharper rise on the 1-2k area, which can throw off the tonality from the near-perfect tonal balance of the entire set. This can sometimes make sounds like hand clapping or snare snaps and side-sticks too sharp for the mix. Certain female vocals (like Norah Jones for me) can feel a little too sharp because of this as well.

Overall in tuning, I find the tonal balance almost perfect. If I could, I would back down 1-2k by a little bit, and raise 5-6k by just a little bit, and it would be a perfectly satisfactory tuning for me. Moving the hill of the bass from the mid-bass to sub-bass by a little would also help to make the sound tighter. To me, its tonality is not as good as that of the Anole VX or the VE8, both of which I loved, but for half/third of their price, this is damn good.

Technical Aspects

In terms of technicalities, the Voyager 14 is also quite impressive. The 5-way crossover definitely is noticeable with fantastic instrument separation and layering. It really does shine so well in complex mixes and compositions. Even on the 1,1 setting where the mid-bass verges on hindering on vocals, the separation of the Voyager 14 saves it from any loss in the vocals. Imaging is also very accurate. Soundstage is spectacular, with plenty of air. It is definitely wider than the Anole VX, but the VX seemed to have a little more depth. Not as wide as Z1R though.

Conclusion

All in all, the Voyager 14 is an incredibly technical IEM that has an almost amazing tuning, but could use a few tweaks to make it perfect (in my opinion and preference). The Voyager 14 is definitely a new step up in the “Chi-Fi” market, and clearly steps up from the likes of the Moondrop A8/S8 and the Fearless Audio series. In this regard, the Voyager 14 is one of the few Chi-Fi items that I have tried that sits firmly and solidly in the “Hi-Fi” category (as opposed to “Mid-Fi”).

There are many so-called “Hi-Fi” IEM’s from Western big brands that I have tried and felt were just ‘meh’, and did not deserve the price they were asking for. The Voyager 14 is a clear distinction from the myriad of these kinds of monitors.

But the big question for me is whether the Voyager 14 can steps into the likes of “legendary” IEM’s. Does Voyager 14 fit into the category of the Z1R, VX, VE8, etc?

For me, while the Voyager 14 can definitely stand in the ring with such legends, it doesn’t quite defeat them. And a lot of this comes to the few kinks in the tuning, which I have described. However, the true prowess of the Voyager 14 is in regards to its price. It is anywhere between half and a fourth of the price of some of its worthy competitors, and while it may not win, it gets damn close, and that’s huge. For customers who are targeting these “legends”, and know exactly why they want them, the Voyager 14 may miss the mark. However, for everyone else who do not have that one reason for getting a Z1R or VE8 or what not, the Voyager 14 may be the perfect balance between price and performance. This is particularly true considering that a lot of the top brand name mid-tier products (which end up in the $1000-2000 range) don’t measure up to the Voyager 14, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #159 of 558

Linsoul composes a team for each new project, bringing together engineers from different manufacturers to lead the product development and production. This is how the Thieaudio Phantom planar magnetic headphones came to be last year. This time, with the aim of making a lineup of In Ear Monitors, Thieaudio started the Voyager series, which will have 3 IEM’s, all in different price ranges. Voyager 3 (3BA, $100-200), Voyager 9 (8BA+1DD, $500-600 ? [This is still in development phase I hear]), and Voyager 14 (14BA, $1000).

I received the Voyager 14 as a loaner for testing and tour in South Korea, and will have to return it back to Linsoul afterwards.

Build Quality

It’s well built. The resin feels solid and durable. It is half full with resin, and half hollow. This is probably due to the vented Sonion bass drivers, which is also why there is a vent in the shell itself. I got a wooden faceplate, which looks really nice. The shell is clear, and it looks like there aren't any kinks in the tubing or wiring. The size is on the bigger side, which makes sense with the number of drivers inside.

Switches

The Voyager 14 comes with two switches, one for the low-mids, and one for the upper trebles.

Both switches (1,1) up gives it a definite V-shape that pushes up both mid-bass and treble. While it’s great for some genres like rock and metal, it’s not my cup of tea (I don’t like V-shape tunings in general).
Low up, High down (1,0) pushes the mid-bass up and just makes the tuning sound sluggish, a bit dark, and mellow. I’m almost never on this setting.
Low Down, High up (0,1) elevates the upper trebles. It’s not necessarily more of a mid-treble bump as it is a high treble, so it will affect the atmosphere, brilliance, and soundstage. This is also a decent setting if you like airy atmospheres or something leaner. It doesn’t necessarily make the tuning brighter; leaner is a better term. This is probably also the most technical setting.
Low Down, High Down (0,0) is a tuning I also like. It’s quite balanced among the other settings, and I love the texture of vocals on this setting. However, it can also give a slightly boxy/nasal tone. I’m almost always on 0,0 or 0,1 settings.

Sound

In general, even with all of the switches down, the tuning leans towards a slight V. Not a severe, or even mild V, but a slight V. This gives it a bit of warmth, but not enough so that it hinders on technicality or the overall balance. I would call the tuning balanced, but also musical. Perhaps somewhere between the Anole VX, Fibae 7, VE8, from memory.

Bass

The bass is impactful and can definitely rumble, and in this regard, I will not even add the “for a BA” tag. It’s a strong bass, period. However, the quality of the bass is still like that of a typical BA. It’s not the fastest bass, and with the mid-bass emphasis, it can at times feel a little sluggish and spread especially on 1,1 or 1,0 settings, rather than tight like that of other driver types. It’s a deep and impactful bass, but decay is a bit on the slower side, and not the cleanest texture. The mid-bass emphasis makes bass guitar, tom-toms, and lower register keys sound really great. Kick drum is usually ok, but doesn’t have that super clean punchy texture like from a dynamic driver. Overall, the bass has a nice depth, and is quite solid.

Mids

The mids are on the warmer rather than neutral side. However, vocals are almost never behind (on the 0,0 setting. On the 1,1 or 1,0 setting, they can fall behind). One major strength of the Voyager 14 is the texture of the mids. They are truly rich and well-textured. Well recorded vocal tracks can sound so good, not just in terms of the tuning, but the timbre and texture of the sound. However, on the note of vocals, the Voyager 14 made the tuning decision to cut back on the upper vocal frequencies, which sometimes removes that “bite” and clarity/presence from vocals. This makes vocals sometimes a little hazy and less defined, but in return, it does make for smoother vocal finishes. Whether you like this or not will depend on your cup of tea. Do you want sharper vocals, or smoother vocals? For me personally, I would like a little bit more in the 5-6k area. The extent also depends on vocalist’s range itself. Additionally, it’s not that vocals feel positionally behind, but rather about the quality of the vocal finish itself. Apart from vocals, string instruments, particularly acoustic guitars and keys also have great texture and timbre. In classical music, strings, especially cello, violas, and lower register violins, sound fantastic (this is coming from a performing violist). In violins in the 0,1 setting, E-strings can come off as slightly sharp (probably due to the 1-2k characteristic of the iem) and is much smoother on 0,0 setting. Same with some woodwinds like oboe and clarinet. But other than that, orchestral pieces sound fantastic, particularly due to the soundstage and imaging of the Voyager 14. Texture and timbre. Delicious.

Treble

The extension of the trebles is really great. Every detail is there, but the treble is never harsh or piercing. It’s actually a very smooth treble, that has been well extended, which gives a great airy atmosphere and helps to widen the soundstage. Snare brushes and guitar strings have a nice shimmer to them. Cymbals in general are well balanced and never get in the way with too much brilliance. The one caveat to the treble is that there seems to be a slightly sharper rise on the 1-2k area, which can throw off the tonality from the near-perfect tonal balance of the entire set. This can sometimes make sounds like hand clapping or snare snaps and side-sticks too sharp for the mix. Certain female vocals (like Norah Jones for me) can feel a little too sharp because of this as well.

Overall in tuning, I find the tonal balance almost perfect. If I could, I would back down 1-2k by a little bit, and raise 5-6k by just a little bit, and it would be a perfectly satisfactory tuning for me. Moving the hill of the bass from the mid-bass to sub-bass by a little would also help to make the sound tighter. To me, its tonality is not as good as that of the Anole VX or the VE8, both of which I loved, but for half/third of their price, this is damn good.

Technical Aspects

In terms of technicalities, the Voyager 14 is also quite impressive. The 5-way crossover definitely is noticeable with fantastic instrument separation and layering. It really does shine so well in complex mixes and compositions. Even on the 1,1 setting where the mid-bass verges on hindering on vocals, the separation of the Voyager 14 saves it from any loss in the vocals. Imaging is also very accurate. Soundstage is spectacular, with plenty of air. It is definitely wider than the Anole VX, but the VX seemed to have a little more depth. Not as wide as Z1R though.

Conclusion

All in all, the Voyager 14 is an incredibly technical IEM that has an almost amazing tuning, but could use a few tweaks to make it perfect (in my opinion and preference). The Voyager 14 is definitely a new step up in the “Chi-Fi” market, and clearly steps up from the likes of the Moondrop A8/S8 and the Fearless Audio series. In this regard, the Voyager 14 is one of the few Chi-Fi items that I have tried that sits firmly and solidly in the “Hi-Fi” category (as opposed to “Mid-Fi”).

There are many so-called “Hi-Fi” IEM’s from Western big brands that I have tried and felt were just ‘meh’, and did not deserve the price they were asking for. The Voyager 14 is a clear distinction from the myriad of these kinds of monitors.

But the big question for me is whether the Voyager 14 can steps into the likes of “legendary” IEM’s. Does Voyager 14 fit into the category of the Z1R, VX, VE8, etc?

For me, while the Voyager 14 can definitely stand in the ring with such legends, it doesn’t quite defeat them. And a lot of this comes to the few kinks in the tuning, which I have described. However, the true prowess of the Voyager 14 is in regards to its price. It is anywhere between half and a fourth of the price of some of its worthy competitors, and while it may not win, it gets damn close, and that’s huge. For customers who are targeting these “legends”, and know exactly why they want them, the Voyager 14 may miss the mark. However, for everyone else who do not have that one reason for getting a Z1R or VE8 or what not, the Voyager 14 may be the perfect balance between price and performance. This is particularly true considering that a lot of the top brand name mid-tier products (which end up in the $1000-2000 range) don’t measure up to the Voyager 14, in my opinion.

That's a nice review. Thanks.
Have you tried with other regular 2 pin cable? I heard some people say that there's something with inverted polarity and when you use a proper cable the mid-bass tones down and the sub really comes to life.

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #161 of 558
That's a nice review. Thanks.
Have you tried with other regular 2 pin cable? I heard some people say that there's something with inverted polarity and when you use a proper cable the mid-bass tones down and the sub really comes to life.

To me it made a difference so i only use 2-pin, which was how the review was also written

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #164 of 558

Build Quality

Switches

Sound

Bass

Mids

Treble

Technical Aspects

Conclusion

Outstanding review. Thank you for putting it together. It gives us another point to triangulate with. I look forward to more reviews from you in the future.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #165 of 558

Users who are viewing this thread

Back