ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Jan 14, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,246 of 4,751
Just so we're clear, I'm a fat U12t shill. That aside, I do think the U12t is a clear cut above both of them. The big issue you run into with a hybrid setup is coherency. Both the MEST and the Monarch are highly technical and fairly well-tuned, but I don't find either of them particularly coherent.

For example, the MEST's midrange is way more resolving than it's bass, and in general, the MEST has a tendency to over exaggerate the separation between instruments lending to "holes" in the way it images. On the other hand, the Monarch, again, has more 2-dimensional imaging, albeit very good positional accuracy and width, lending to disconnect. I'd also argue that the Monarch's coherency issues are a byproduct of the tuning itself which is somewhat segmented, if you will. All of this is ignoring that neither of them - particularly the Monarch - has top-tier qualities in isolation. The U12t's BA bass has better tactility than both of them and is more resolving to my ears. Both the MEST and Monarch's treble roll off in the final octaves of extension whereas the U12t is straight up peaking at that point. The Monarch's macrodynamic ability is poor, the MEST's is inconsistent. I could go on, but I think you can see where I'm going haha.

Both the MEST and the Monarch are really good IEMs for their respective price points. They're exceptionally well-rounded, and you could easily make an argument for either, particularly the Monarch, punching above its weight. However, I think there's still a good ways between these IEMs and the truly top-tier stuff like the U12t (which isn't without its faults either, of course).
I realize this OT for this thread, but how is the imaging of the u12t vs the MEST? Would you say the u12t also has a similar holographic imaging, with really good depth and layering?

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #1,247 of 4,751
Has anyone done ciem versions of either monarch or clairvoyance? Appreciate any advice based on your experiences! I've had to let go of the Clair as the shells were causing pretty significant ear fatigue, but I was wondering if a ciem version would solve that issue. Thanks!

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,248 of 4,751
Just so we're clear, I'm a fat U12t shill. That aside, I do think the U12t is a clear cut above both of them. The big issue you run into with a hybrid setup is coherency. Both the MEST and the Monarch are highly technical and fairly well-tuned, but I don't find either of them particularly coherent.

For example, the MEST's midrange is way more resolving than it's bass, and in general, the MEST has a tendency to over exaggerate the separation between instruments lending to "holes" in the way it images. On the other hand, the Monarch, again, has more 2-dimensional imaging, albeit very good positional accuracy and width, lending to disconnect. I'd also argue that the Monarch's coherency issues are a byproduct of the tuning itself which is somewhat segmented, if you will. All of this is ignoring that neither of them - particularly the Monarch - has top-tier qualities in isolation. The U12t's BA bass has better tactility than both of them and is more resolving to my ears. Both the MEST and Monarch's treble roll off in the final octaves of extension whereas the U12t is straight up peaking at that point. The Monarch's macrodynamic ability is poor, the MEST's is inconsistent. I could go on, but I think you can see where I'm going haha.

Both the MEST and the Monarch are really good IEMs for their respective price points. They're exceptionally well-rounded, and you could easily make an argument for either, particularly the Monarch, punching above its weight. However, I think there's still a good ways between these IEMs and the truly top-tier stuff like the U12t (which isn't without its faults either, of course).

Do you have experience with Sony Z1R? and how Monarch (or Clairvoyance) stands againts them?

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,249 of 4,751
CIEM monarch graph. To enquire further please DM me in discord. You can find me in linsoul/IEF discord. I'm more active in discord than in Headfi.

I'm Woessy#3033 in Linsoul or the guy named Monrach Bespoke edition in IEF.

Attachments

• image0-1.jpg
    image0-1.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 0
Jan 18, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #1,250 of 4,751
Linsoul finally shipped my Monarchs today, let's see how fast DHL is this time!

Edit: Looks like it should arrive on Thursday.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,252 of 4,751
The New Dunu Zen is now out for 700 USD, wonder how they compare to Monarch. According to "The HEADPHONE Show "review they are excelent and more "headphone like than other IEMS. IT seems in this 700 USD range there are now competitors.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #1,253 of 4,751
The New Dunu Zen is now out for 700 USD, wonder how they compare to Monarch. According to "The HEADPHONE Show "review they are excelent and more "headphone like than other IEMS. IT seems in this 700 USD range there are now competitors.
He also said that he still would take the SA6, Clairvoyance, and Monarch over it. It appears it could be on the same level as the Moanrxh for technical ability, but he also said the the Monarch is clearer and has better separation. Tonality, it’s definitely Monarch. Zen looks amazing, but it seems like Monarch is a bit better.

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #1,254 of 4,751
I Believe+3DT and you still have spare change!☺️

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #1,255 of 4,751
Well, it's likely been said a lot, but the Clairvoyance is an AWESOME IEM. I am really, really loving mine.

The only downside is that they are large, and tricky for me to find a good fit. I typically have one ear blocking too much sound (bad fit), and I often have a hard time getting an even fit from both ears at the same time.

But when I do... oh man. Bliss.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,256 of 4,751
Did anyone pair the monarch with a portable dac/amp/ dongle setup? I was thinking of the mojo, lotoo paw S1, or Dragonfly Cobalt. Any impressions are appreciated 🙂

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,257 of 4,751
Not those you mention specifically, but I am using mine with a Centrance DACPort HD (connected to my work laptop). It's just fine. I've not even tried it with another source though, so I can't compare.

Jan 20, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #1,258 of 4,751
Did anyone pair the monarch with a portable dac/amp/ dongle setup? I was thinking of the mojo, lotoo paw S1, or Dragonfly Cobalt. Any impressions are appreciated 🙂

I use the Clairvoyance a lot with an iBasso DC01, and they sound great to me. I listen mainly Spotify, so I don't think that the DAC is going to be the bottleneck...

Maybe I should improve my source, but I don't see myself investing time building a digital music library with lossless formats, and losing the option to discover new music that streaming services provide.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,259 of 4,751

I am gonna pair the Monarch when they arrive this week with a iBasso DX160.
Probably later with the DX300 when it is available in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back