ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Apr 21, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #4,741 of 4,751
Hello, welcome here. I haven't heard either of those sets that you listed (except the Monarch MkIII that is similar to the Prestige), so take what I say with a pinch of salt. When I'm buying sets, I read the FR graphs, because the overall tonal balance is there. So I thought I'd give you a quick run-down of what I see. Hopefully others will chime in.

The IE900 isn't bad at all (healthy amount of bass, though slightly warm; impressive treble performance for a single DD) but has a quite recessed upper mid-range, so you can mostly forget engaging, present vocals, and instruments that have their upper harmonics between 2-5kHz. Some like this coloration though. Be wary of fakes. A good review.

The Xelento 2nd gen (is this the "remote" version?) has a similar recession but it's "better" done (sounds more like how our ears naturally hear). However, it also has way too much bass and lower mid-range to sound "accurate," that is, fundamentals and lower harmonics will sound louder, whereas the upper ones will be, comparatively speaking, recessed, so if you like a full-bodied, meaty sound, at the expense of realism, it's the way to go. One review, another.

In comparison, the Prestige actually has natural lower and upper mid-range, which is, I think, vital to the genres you listed. However, it's not without its faults: the bass looks to be a bit boomy and the treble is spicy. The latter could be helped by choosing medium and narrow-bored eartips -- in theory. However, it's telling that Thieaudio released the Ltd that has more even bass and a more palatable treble. A good review.

So if you have no other options, it will be a compromise somewhat along the above lines. But let's hope others will disprove what I said. :)
Thank you very much. It will be a difficult choice😅

Apr 21, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #4,742 of 4,751
Hello, welcome here. I haven't heard either of those sets that you listed (except the Monarch MkIII that is similar to the Prestige), so take what I say with a pinch of salt. When I'm buying sets, I read the FR graphs, because the overall tonal balance is there. So I thought I'd give you a quick run-down of what I see. Hopefully others will chime in.

The IE900 isn't bad at all (healthy amount of bass, though slightly warm; impressive treble performance for a single DD) but has a quite recessed upper mid-range, so you can mostly forget engaging, present vocals, and instruments that have their upper harmonics between 2-5kHz. Some like this coloration though. Be wary of fakes. A good review.

The Xelento 2nd gen (is this the "remote" version?) has a similar recession but it's "better" done (sounds more like how our ears naturally hear). However, it also has way too much bass and lower mid-range to sound "accurate," that is, fundamentals and lower harmonics will sound louder, whereas the upper ones will be, comparatively speaking, recessed, so if you like a full-bodied, meaty sound, at the expense of realism, it's the way to go. One review, another.

In comparison, the Prestige actually has natural lower and upper mid-range, which is, I think, vital to the genres you listed. However, it's not without its faults: the bass looks to be a bit boomy and the treble is spicy. The latter could be helped by choosing medium and narrow-bored eartips -- in theory. However, it's telling that Thieaudio released the Ltd that has more even bass and a more palatable treble. A good review.

So if you have no other options, it will be a compromise somewhat along the above lines. But let's hope others will disprove what I said. :)

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #4,743 of 4,751

Maybe look into the Hype 10? A bit forward vocals, but otherwise tastefully done, slightly bassy. Or the Monarch Mk II if you can fit into your ears? The Monarch Mk III is also there but it's bright -- if you're into that. The Hisenior Mega5EST gets good reviews, it's a comparatively cheap tri-brid with a similarly versatile tuning. I enjoy the Softears Studio4 too. "Correct," reference tuning but not the last word in resolution. Letshuoer Cadenza 4 is even cheaper. Or the Symphonium Crimson? These more or less aim for the same tuning: ruler-flat lower mids, with varying amount of bass and treble, for very different prices. Clean, spacious sets with varying amount of business in the front and party at the back.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #4,744 of 4,751
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, most brands are not available in my country. There are some classic brands. Sony, sennheiser, bose... The iems I mentioned in my question are rare parts in the second-hand market. My right to choose is very limited. Unfortunately, geography is my destiny. I will try the iEMs you mentioned when I go abroad.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #4,745 of 4,751
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, most brands are not available in my country. There are some classic brands. Sony, sennheiser, bose... The iems I mentioned in my question are rare parts in the second-hand market. My right to choose is very limited. Unfortunately, geography is my destiny. I will try the iEMs you mentioned when I go abroad.

Sure thing, just don't forget, it's really just my "opinion" or view on sound, I prefer this sound signature above others, so I'll advocate for it. But there are people on Head-Fi who like KZ and Campfire Audio sets, and everything else too, so they might suggest very different things.

Apr 21, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #4,747 of 4,751
Yeah!
Even though I chose the LTDs I'm curious about the mkIII, I am going to try them out eventually and might decide to add them to my collection too if I like how they sound

I listened to Dan's Ltd demo on Youtube, and so if we turn it around: the Mk III is a hair more intensive. If this says something to you: electric guitars in metal sound rawer, more energetic. This difference in tonality is all I heard but it was of course just a video demo, not a real-life one. And, hmm, maybe the bass is faster or less prominent (could be the inverse of the brightness).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #4,748 of 4,751
I mentioned this before but I I spent a good three hours comparing the Mk3 and the LTD in-store before deciding on the LTD. The TLDR is that while the Mk3 definitely has bigger, boomier bass (not in a bad way), I slightly preferred the LTD for its more forward midrange. It's not a night-and-day difference but I felt that electric guitars were slightly more present on the LTD, and in the end that's what tipped the scales for me.

If I was listening only to pop/electronic music, I'd take the Mk3. But since I listen to a good amount of rock and jazz too, the LTD were the better all-rounder.

Apr 22, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #4,749 of 4,751
I mentioned this before but I I spent a good three hours comparing the Mk3 and the LTD in-store before deciding on the LTD. The TLDR is that while the Mk3 definitely has bigger, boomier bass (not in a bad way), I slightly preferred the LTD for its more forward midrange. It's not a night-and-day difference but I felt that electric guitars were slightly more present on the LTD, and in the end that's what tipped the scales for me.

If I was listening only to pop/electronic music, I'd take the Mk3. But since I listen to a good amount of rock and jazz too, the LTD were the better all-rounder.
I found the Monarch MK3 to have more low end slam. But when it came to texturing, separation of the sub and mid bass and overall sound. The Prestige LTD won me over. A low shelf at 105hz of 2db helps give extra oomph to the Prestige LTD and ohhh it's some great bass. Highly detailed

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #4,750 of 4,751
DAMN!!! Yeah the Prestige LTD are no where near bass light. I feel they give what the song has to offer. The low end the Prestige LTD has is insane. The quality and authority it can bring out is pretty breath taking at times. For anyone that likes black metal or metal in general. Listen to Rotting Christ Apage Satana. I feel it's a great example of what the Prestige LTD can do. The kicks sound real and not one noted like many other iems. I for one love them for HDM (Hard Dance Music) and rap/hip hop. Many people say HDM needs bass to shine. Yes I agree. But also HDM/EDM needs great treble to really shine. All that detail in snares, kicks, synths, saws, really shine when you have great treble, a boomy iem or headphone may sound pumping, but all that texturing and detail up top is lost and the song sounds lifeless. The Prestige LTD has that treble in spades. It's perfect. The reverb, space of synths just shines beautifuly and if the track has been mastered well with actual good bass. It shows. It really shows the quality of the overall mastering and final recording.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #4,751 of 4,751
I bought the Prestige LTD a while back and said I'd post my thoughts. It's taken a lot longer than I meant, but I thought I'd share my thoughts after a couple of months ownership, including two transatlantic flights. I am pairing them with an iBasso 320 and FLAC source files.

I should start by saying these represented a significant jump in price for me. My previous main two pairs were the Moondrop Arias and, slightly dearer, the HiFiMan RE600s V2. I did buy some IE 900 earlier this year, but returned them. I auditioned the Prestige LTD and Monarch 3 together end of Feb and went for the former. I listen to a fairly eclectic range of stuff, including classical, musical theatre, jazz, rock... most of all, especially on my personal players, I listen to prog. Indeed, these IEMs accompanied me on flights from London to Miami and back in March, and a prog rock cruise in between!

Quite a few new albums were purchased in the run up to the cruise and the Prestige LTD were really put through their paces. Prog is pretty demanding on IEMs, as there is so much texture, detail and variation of pace and dynamics.

One of the things I liked about the Prestige LTD was their combination of detail and smoothness, and the enveloping feel of the sound. These are a killer combo for me, and traits very suited to prog listening. Just let me soak it all in. So far, these traits have persisted, and I've spent much time now getting lost in 20 minute songs.

For me there was a slight hump to get over in truly enjoying these IEMS, though, one which involved a slight paradox. They are quite polite. They give you tons of info and are very clear, and their bass can be substantial when called for, but they do not grab you by the balls and say "listen to me now you fool!"; instead they draw you in with their supreme technicality combined with buttery smoothness. What this meant is that on some occasions early on I would pursue the former effect and crank the volume to that end, but I found if you put these too loud (and here's the paradox) they go from reserved to actually quite fatiguing - particularly in the vocals.

After a while of wrestling with this I realised that I was being anxious and overanalytical, likely rooted in the amount I had spent on them. Whatever the price, you cannot expect them to be more than one thing - that's physically impossible. I found I just needed to acknowledge what they are going for: an all-round listening experience with detail and texture galore. Perfect for listening around the house and revealing all the secrets my chosen music has to offer, getting lost in its nuances. If you try and turn them into something with an aggressively fun sound, they do not play ball. If you use them for listening to music, rather than jamming to it, it's hard to imagine anything better. They work well with anything you give them, but they really do suit prog down to the ground.

My eventual plan is to have them be half of a two-pair set-up, with a another pair for when I go on walks and want a more aggressive/blatantly fun presentation. I have the Monarch 3s or maybe Moondrop Variations in mind for this other pair, but that's down the line. Right now I don't walk much as my dog (normally the catalyst for getting me moving about outside) is too old. And I am really enjoying my time with the Prestige LTD.

In short, then: there are no areas of technical weakness with the Prestige LTD. All aspects of the sound are presented with marvellous detail, wrapped up in a beguilingly smooth overall sound which combined with the pin-point soundstaging allows you to really get lost in the music. Treble and mids give as much detail as you could need without being fatiguing - this can be a double-edge sword as I found this politeness at first made me want to crank it up too high, which made it sound fatiguing! But once I adjusted my expectations this ceased to be an issue and I was able to enjoy them for their myriad and considerable charms, and indeed the toe-tapping quality would emerge on its own anyway, driven by the sheer musicality and, when called for, the plentiful and detailed bass.

In the end, the best metric is: how much do I find myself reaching for them to listen to? The answer is quite a lot. I would find myself taking them to bed and listening for a good hour or more before drifting off, something I didn't really do before buying these. They reveal everything there is to be revealed in the music in an effortless way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back