ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Nov 25, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #3,391 of 4,727
When you say "OG" are you referring to MEST or Monarch? I assume Monarch OG, but the post you were replying to was asking to compare to MEST OG.
I meant Monarch OG and Monarch mk2.

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #3,392 of 4,727
I meant Monarch OG and Monarch mk2.
I haven’t heard monarch og but I had Clair and loved it. But mk2 is perfect on all for me. I am not basshead though I like good bass, and mk2 has. Mk2 has good everything- only flaw is slightly large size. And that is very small flaw I can wear for hours with mid size ears and never have problem. But I do notice them in the ear vs U12t or legacy 5 or even clairvoyance which disappears in the ear for me

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #3,393 of 4,727
Did you heard OG?
I've been listening to it exclusively for the past couple of months and I got used to sub bass, with mk2 i miss it. OG has the note weight that mk2 doesn't have. More so I have boosted OG mid bass for 2-3 dB and basically turned them into basshead wet dream.
I have mk2 for only past 2 days, it is very good for all genres, I will A-B them later on.
Would love to hear (or others pls chime in) impressions on the Monarch OG vs Mk 2 bass - specifically what was so special in the OG version that a) was different than other IEMs with good bass quality and quantity eg EE Legend X or 64 Audio 64 Tia Trio and b) what exactly in terms of either bass quality or quantity you are missing as you listen to Mk2 (compared to any of the aforementioned IEMs)

Nov 25, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,394 of 4,727
Would love to hear (or others pls chime in) impressions on the Monarch OG vs Mk 2 bass - specifically what was so special in the OG version that a) was different than other IEMs with good bass quality and quantity eg EE Legend X or 64 Audio 64 Tia Trio and b) what exactly in terms of either bass quality or quantity you are missing as you listen to Mk2 (compared to any of the aforementioned IEMs)
Also if anyone has yet tried Mk2 with an impedance adapter- as a number reported SQ improvements doing so with the OG.

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #3,395 of 4,727
Also if anyone has yet tried Mk2 with an impedance adapter- as a number reported SQ improvements doing so with the OG.
I have 25ohm and 100ohm and both just make its hmmmm what you call it… too much Woo~~~ personally, I didn’t enjoy as much.

I also didn’t enjoying using those high adapter for OG as well, I think its okay for like 1 or 2 song but afterward, my ear kept screaming to stop.

What I liked about OG is just sheer amount of subbass that it throws at you in the face, and since there is not a same weight on mid bass make a balance, you feel stronger emphasis on subbass. This is more so when mid bass on monarch, feels like more lean BA bass around 100-150hz feels, while 100hz and below feels the true 1dd + 4ba going at you. The the last major note I left for OG Monarch to myself before letting them go. Same is true for Monarch MK2 as well, mid bass is on a leaner side but not as puny as OG Monarch, then once it hits lower, texture immediately turn thicker.

I did order more tame adapter from IFI compared to 25ohm+, so let see how that go with Monarch MK2.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #3,396 of 4,727
Tomorrow i will compare them and I'll tell you more.
I didn't like it with impedance adapter because it messes with the upper frequencies. My choice of correcting Monarch OG mid bass is Neutron PEQ.

Monarch mk2 doesn't need impedance adapter or EQ correction.

EDIT
I will need more time to properly test it and gather my thoughts...

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #3,399 of 4,727
Last night I was listening MKII extensively, I compared it little bit with Monarch OG and I have some thoughts. Tuning of MKII is just superb, it's a balanced tuning with punchy bass and clear mids and highs. But compared to OG presentation is very different. Don't get me wrong bass on MKII hits very hard... But OG bass is just beautiful to me vay better than on MKII. Like I said earlier I got used to OG sub bass the punch and that distinct separation from mids which just makes me smile. MKII is very different, and not just bass.

High mids and treble are very forward which makes it too much for lot of my music. For example Pantera Cowboys from hell album and similar older metal. OG sounds better on those brightly mastered albums.

Since I cannot keep both I decided to sell MKII.

Why? Well there are fit issues as well for me. They keep falling out no matter which tips I use. I even tried azla xelastec but I don't like how they change the sound. Original monarch even though it's bigger stays put I don't ever have the need to adjust the fit. With MKII I keep pushing them in constantly which made my ears soar.

If someone is interested to have it for 850 euros and want to save on import tax (Europe) you can pm me.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/thieaudio-monarch-mkii.15232/

Edit
Sold

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #3,400 of 4,727
I haven’t heard monarch og but I had Clair and loved it. But mk2 is perfect on all for me. I am not basshead though I like good bass, and mk2 has. Mk2 has good everything- only flaw is slightly large size. And that is very small flaw I can wear for hours with mid size ears and never have problem. But I do notice them in the ear vs U12t or legacy 5 or even clairvoyance which disappears in the ear for me
Cold you please compare the sound tonality to L5?
For me, L5 is the reason why I never bought any higher end ThieAudio.
L3 remains one of my favorite IEMs regardless of the price but L5 turned out to be shouty with its prominent 2K-6K range.
Now, having ordered MK2, I looked at the graph, which on its own looked promising, but MK2 appears to have even more of that boost.
After @progdvd pretty much confirmed my concern, - I'm contemplating cancelling that Headphones.com order.
I will be re-reading some posts trying to figure out how did I miss this fiasco.
Also, can anyone tell how the size of MK2 compares to Penon Volt?
Volt is my largest universal at this time and it's almoust pushing the limits.:thinking:

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #3,401 of 4,727
L3 remains one of my favorite IEMs regardless of the price but L5 turned out to be shouty with its prominent 2K-6K range.
Now, having ordered MK2, I looked at the graph, which on its own looked promising, but MK2 appears to have even more of that boost.
After @progdvd pretty much confirmed my concern, - I'm contemplating cancelling that Headphones.com order.
I will be re-reading some posts trying to figure out how did I miss this fiasco.
Volt is my largest universal at this time and it's almoust pushing the limits.:thinking:
Don't discard it too early. My advice is try it, if you are ordering from Headphones.com you can always return it or sell it.

Nov 26, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #3,402 of 4,727
Don't discard it too early. My advice is try it, if you are ordering from Headphones.com you can always return it or sell it.
Thanks @progdvd, I was going to add this also- that is the beauty of headphones.com, you will have 365 days to decide if Mk2 suits you and still be able to return it. Most reviewers have indicated less shouty-ness than even U12T, which many say has pretty wonderful treble. Fit issues are very individual and dependent on ear anatomy which is highly variable from person to person. Reviewers have also noted that Mk2 is less thick physically than the OG (see the video review cited earlier in the thread)- so it’s not a given that you will struggle as @progdvd did with fit.

Of course I am relatively new at this game too and realize that we all view these things differently. What is important is that you are happy with your decision.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,403 of 4,727
Thanks @progdvd, I was going to add this also- that is the beauty of headphones.com, you will have 365 days to decide if Mk2 suits you and still be able to return it. Most reviewers have indicated less shout-ness than even U12T, which many say has pretty wonderful treble. Fit issues are very individual and dependent on ear anatomy which is highly variable from person to person. Reviewers have also noted that Mk2 is less thick than the OG (see the video review cited earlier in the thread)- so it’s not a given that you will struggle as @progdvd did with fit.

Of course I am relatively new at this game too and realize that we all view these things differently. What is important is that you are happy with your decision.
Thanks a lot and also thanks to @progdvd for reinforcement of my bias toward trying MK2. I seldom take advantage of generous return policies and prefer that it wouldn't be my fault like failing to do my research.:shrug:
I don't hate L5, it fits and isolates well & in fact, It has just found its home with Shanling MW200 neckband with LDAC. Strangely, all my attempts to cable-match L5 failed but super short thin wires of MW200 seem to stay out of the way and I can enjoy L5 finally, at least on the go. (BTW MW200 exceeded my expectations given rather high price and it's the only neckband BT that actually worth its $120 price($107 sale now on Linsoul), unlike the kinds of Hiby and Ikko...)
The MK2s shallow fit is actually a plus for me as my conchas are shallow and ear-canal is narrow,- so it's either Etymotic or have to be anything that rests in the concha and not relies on any depth of insertion. Most universals fit my ears well but some stick out and some have to be fitted with recessed TWS tips. Video reviews that pointed that out got my attention and
I wonder if MK2 wider than Legend X or iBasso it04, - anyone?

Nov 26, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #3,404 of 4,727
I seldom take advantage of generous return policies and prefer that it wouldn't be my fault like failing to do my research.:shrug:

It's a 10% restocking fee - so you eat $100. Wonderful if you decide it's not for you several months in... but for hot new IEMs, likely do better just reselling here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back