ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Nov 23, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #3,331 of 4,751
Got it today. I'm just a couple of tracks in, but straingt away I can tell it's worth it's asking price...
That’s awesome! I know you just got it, but how does it compare to the OG? And is it worth upgrading if I already have the OG? I love the sub bass of the Monarch OG, but everyone is saying the MKII doesn’t have the same sub bass rumble as the original… have you tried EQ’ing it to achieve the same results?

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #3,332 of 4,751
The Monarch really is an interesting IEM but the shells look quite big for my ears. No idea how is the fit but they really look big.

Nov 23, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #3,333 of 4,751
That’s awesome! I know you just got it, but how does it compare to the OG? And is it worth upgrading if I already have the OG? I love the sub bass of the Monarch OG, but everyone is saying the MKII doesn’t have the same sub bass rumble as the original… have you tried EQ’ing it to achieve the same results?
Everything what you read about mk2 its true. Sub bass is not the same as on OG, but there is more mid bass. I feel high mids and treble are more forward, it's more balanced signature. There is insane amounts of details...

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #3,334 of 4,751
I cannot resist, I have to post this pic.

Attachments

• 20211123_131251.jpg
    20211123_131251.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #3,335 of 4,751
In fact Crinacle now ranks it as #1 over all in his latest IEM ranking list. (S **)

The double star is just a value rating - they're the highest value (cost vs. perf) S tier which is certainly notable, though I don't think in general the ranking/listing order within a tier means anything.

That said, it's the only S tier w/ an S+ for tonality while still holding an S for technicals... so it's quite possible you could put it at #1 for that reason.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,336 of 4,751
MKII is quite different from OG. It's a more reference tuning.

The sub bass rumble from OG is quite unique and I don't think MKII can do that even with EQ.

IMO OG remains the king for EDM and MKII is absolutely wonderful for everything else, especially extremely busy and technical rock recoverings.

I will say that Bob Marley on the MKII sounds unlike any other iem. Just pure ecstasy.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #3,337 of 4,751
The double star is just a value rating - they're the highest value (cost vs. perf) S tier which is certainly notable, though I don't think in general the ranking/listing order within a tier means anything.

That said, it's the only S tier w/ an S+ for tonality while still holding an S for technicals... so it's quite possible you could put it at #1 for that reason.

Keep in mind that rankings are always impacted by the reviewer's preferences.

Any score is also the projection of many different qualities to a single grade and can easily mislead with regards to specific characteristics of an iem.

I think MKII is wonderful and hard to beat for the price, just like OG was. But just take any score or review with a grain of salt. Even the mighty Crin, who I respect tremendously.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #3,338 of 4,751
U12t vs mk2
My comparison fwiw

Build quality - equal, maybe slight edge to U12t since metal vs resin. - u12t

Fit- mk2 just a little large. Fit is ok though for my medium sized ears. -u12t

Bass- thicker in U12t, but details equal, slam superior on mk2 due to dd. due to ba timbre, my preference is mk2.

Mids- both extreme detail and awesome. I have no critique for either. Tie

Treble- also very similar but I think mk2 more fluid? U12t can be a bit shouty in the treble for me, whereas mk2 is flawless with no offense to my ear. Mk2

Soundstage- I feel about the same - both great spatial orientation stage presence. -tie

Imaging- Both have extreme details and clarity, I feel like I pick up more instrument separation within mk2- and the main reason I think is because of the bass being less thick. If you like thicker bass, then u12t is superior for you- and you barely lose any imaging or details, but to me mk2 has the edge here. Slightly more detailed. Mk2

Overall- I think mk 2 is superior. More time needed to continue my evaluation but as it stands, I prefer the monarch mk2. Will share more after I spend some more time with these two!
Thanks- it’s exactly this sort of comparison that makes this Forum so great. Pls can you specify your rig, on which you made your comparisons? Also, any other select comparisons? U12T is very important as it competes w/ MK2 for consumers, but U12T being an all-BA IEM is quite differently constructed than MK2. It would be great to see how this compares to other tribrids eg Kinera Nanna.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,339 of 4,751
Thanks- it’s exactly this sort of comparison that makes this Forum so great. Pls can you specify your rig, on which you made your comparisons? Also, any other select comparisons? U12T is very important as it competes w/ MK2 for consumers, but U12T being an all-BA IEM is quite differently constructed than MK2. It would be great to see how this compares to other tributes eg Kinera Nanna.
I tested using 2 devices, the Qudelix 5k via Bluetooth with iPhone 13, and a fiio q3 through usb to my desktop computer with windows.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,340 of 4,751
Really loving my Hiby R8 but the RS6 is the next Gen, there is a whole thread on it on this forum.
I ended up getting the Hiby RS6 Darwin this week :wink: the sound quality of this DAP and the Monarchs is brilliant, I'm hearing so many more things in most of the music I'm listening to.

Now hearing how good the Mk 2s are is tempting me to look haha.

Nov 23, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #3,341 of 4,751
I ended up getting the Hiby RS6 Darwin this week :wink: the sound quality of this DAP and the Monarchs is brilliant, I'm hearing so many more things in most of the music I'm listening to.

Now hearing how good the Mk 2s are is tempting me to look haha.
Details are on another level

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #3,342 of 4,751
Hype train already left the station on this one, apparently. Lol.

I think if I didn't own a MEST, I'd probably consider the Mk2 instead. But I'm guessing there's probably too much overlap for both.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #3,343 of 4,751
U12t vs mk2
My comparison fwiw

Build quality - equal, maybe slight edge to U12t since metal vs resin. - u12t

Fit- mk2 just a little large. Fit is ok though for my medium sized ears. -u12t

Bass- thicker in U12t, but details equal, slam superior on mk2 due to dd. due to ba timbre, my preference is mk2.

Mids- both extreme detail and awesome. I have no critique for either. Tie

Treble- also very similar but I think mk2 more fluid? U12t can be a bit shouty in the treble for me, whereas mk2 is flawless with no offense to my ear. Mk2

Soundstage- I feel about the same - both great spatial orientation stage presence. -tie

Imaging- Both have extreme details and clarity, I feel like I pick up more instrument separation within mk2- and the main reason I think is because of the bass being less thick. If you like thicker bass, then u12t is superior for you- and you barely lose any imaging or details, but to me mk2 has the edge here. Slightly more detailed. Mk2

Overall- I think mk 2 is superior. More time needed to continue my evaluation but as it stands, I prefer the monarch mk2. Will share more after I spend some more time with these two!
sweet I just order mine MKII from headphones.com

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #3,344 of 4,751
sweet I just order mine MKII from headphones.com
Emailed them tonight to be sure the 365 day return applies, not that I think I will need it these sound like keepers. I have big ears 👂 so size hopefully won’t be a problem.

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #3,345 of 4,751
Emailed them tonight to be sure the 365 day return applies, not that I think I will need it these sound like keepers. I have big ears 👂 so size hopefully won’t be a problem.
I do believed it applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back