ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #1,816 of 4,736
Ok, have had my Monarchs for a few weeks and my initial impressions have not really changed. Thet are simply - meh, nothing special.
Definitely dont compete with top tier more expensive IEMs like 64 Audio or EE. More similar to Dunu, Moondrop etc, the thing is there are much cheaper IEMs that will compare favourably to the Monarch.

Yes, low bass is plentiful, but sounds smeared like subs in a car. The so called top end clarity, resolution is just not as good as better IEMs.

Like most NEW things on headfi, overhyped....nothings changed in 16 years lol

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #1,817 of 4,736
Ok, have had my Monarchs for a few weeks and my initial impressions have not really changed. Thet are simply - meh, nothing special.
Definitely dont compete with top tier more expensive IEMs like 64 Audio or EE. More similar to Dunu, Moondrop etc, the thing is there are much cheaper IEMs that will compare favourably to the Monarch.

Yes, low bass is plentiful, but sounds smeared like subs in a car. The so called top end clarity, resolution is just not as good as better IEMs.

You got expensive ears, i respect🤣

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #1,818 of 4,736

It would good for companies like 64 audio or EE to have better iems since they are selling their products for 2-3 times, maybe even more the price of the Monarchs, otherwise it really makes their products look bad doesn't it? if other cheaper iems from dunu or even moondrop compare favourably to Monarchs, then it really makes those iems price to performance sky rocket wouldn't it? Does that mean your inadvertently hyping those products as well?

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #1,820 of 4,736

Hmm member since 2006, and only 26 reaction score...? Sounds like your comments are on very unique side so very sizable headfiers are on same viewpoint with yours.

sound like a very good example of YMMV
Your opinion vs trustworthy headfier’s number of opinions. Q.E.D.

Oh by the way you mentioned Monarch’s bass sounds like “subs in a car”, that’s true! And I have Mark Levinson in my Lexus, it does sound like $13K Mark Levinson system👍

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #1,821 of 4,736
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #1,822 of 4,736
Jeez guys, why so hostile? Not open to critical opinions?
Providing my own feedback like anyone else, Iam not saying they are bad IEMs, just not giant slayers to me. I have heard much better and dont really get where they fit in the market. Iam allowed to form my own opinion right?

If anyones interested, my EST112 sound just as good and significantly cheaper. Bought them as flavour of the month as well.

As far as cars go, the ML in the lexus is better than my cars Burmester system. The best I have experienced in a stock system is the dirac tuned Bowers in the Volvo XC 90.

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #1,823 of 4,736

as a Clair owner (assuming you'd rate those similarly to the Monarchs), i disagree that these aren't special. you'd be extremely hard pressed to find an IEM under $1k with this combination of tonality and high end extension. most cheap IEMs fail to achieve properly extended highs, which makes music sound clear and open. even at $1k and above, you can get this same high end extension, but the tonality may be wonky and metallic (i.e. U9)

I do agree there are more exciting iems though for less money. to me, the Clairs are like a german sports car - essentially flawless technical performers, with an analytical/laid back presentation. good for music creating and analysis (which is what I use my Clairs for, love them for this), but not so great for getting the pulse going. need better dynamic drivers for that :wink:

thanks for sharing your feedback though, i find opinions that go against the grain quite valuable.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #1,824 of 4,736
Jeez guys, why so hostile? Not open to critical opinions?
Providing my own feedback like anyone else, Iam not saying they are bad IEMs, just not giant slayers to me. I have heard much better and dont really get where they fit in the market. Iam allowed to form my own opinion right?

If anyones interested, my EST112 sound just as good and significantly cheaper. Bought them as flavour of the month as well.

As far as cars go, the ML in the lexus is better than my cars Burmester system. The best I have experienced in a stock system is the dirac tuned Bowers in the Volvo XC 90.
Ok, now you have expansive hears!🤣

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,825 of 4,736
as a Clair owner (assuming you'd rate those similarly to the Monarchs), i disagree that these aren't special. you'd be extremely hard pressed to find an IEM under $1k with this combination of tonality and high end extension. most cheap IEMs fail to achieve properly extended highs, which makes music sound clear and open. even at $1k and above, you can get this same high end extension, but the tonality may be wonky and metallic (i.e. U9)

I do agree there are more exciting iems though for less money. to me, the Clairs are like a german sports car - essentially flawless technical performers, with an analytical/laid back presentation.

thanks for sharing your feedback though, i find opinions that go against the grain quite valuable.

And thats the key, if your happy with your gear, my opinion may be of interest, but really nothing more.
If someones wondering what to buy, then all feedback may be useful.

From your descritions I hope you get to hear the U12t, but they are hideously expensive. I wont even go near Odin...

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #1,826 of 4,736
One thing I can criticize about Monarch is that its linear coherence, if someone value phase coherence, they may find Monarch falls behind competitors. But except that, tuning and resolving capacity is top notch.

If Thieaudio is aware of that, and as they emphasized in the promotional visuals with “penta-driver” quote, they may have improved phase consistency.

Apr 24, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #1,827 of 4,736
Hmm member since 2006, and only 26 reaction score...? Sounds like your comments are on very unique side so very sizable headfiers are on same viewpoint with yours.

sound like a very good example of YMMV
Your opinion vs trustworthy headfier’s number of opinions. Q.E.D.

Oh by the way you mentioned Monarch’s bass sounds like “subs in a car”, that’s true! And I have Mark Levinson in my Lexus, it does sound like $13K Mark Levinson system👍

Some ppl like me when on hiatus for 7 years. There were no "likes" back then. Doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I agree that it doesn't compare favorably against much more expensive stuff like my Mest mk2 in terms of imaging, but I was also shocked to hear how good the Monarchs are. IEMs weren't this good 10 years ago especially at $700. All the IEMs I heard would start sounding congested and distort. The Monarchs totally blew me away by how clean they sounded, although having not heard a recent IEM. It even has better bass impact than the Mest mk2. Maybe the bass is not as textured, but you really need the pounding impact to nod your head to music, otherwise you're just analyzing music.

But yea it is kind of hyped. I agree with Antdroid's grade for the Monarchs vs Crinacle's. It's probably an A-range iem and the Mest mk2 would be an S range. Still really excellent for the price and got me curious about other TOTL iems.

How are EEs? Do you have the Odins? The frequency response for the Empire Ears stuff look like they have really shouty upper mids and treble... I thought the Monarchs had too much upper mids and treble.

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,828 of 4,736
Some ppl like me when on hiatus for 7 years. There were no "likes" back then. Doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I agree that it doesn't compare favorably against much more expensive stuff like my Mest mk2 in terms of imaging, but I was also shocked to hear how good the Monarchs are. IEMs weren't this good 10 years ago especially at $700. All the IEMs I heard would start sounding congested and distort. The Monarchs totally blew me away by how clean they sounded, although having not heard a recent IEM. It even has better bass impact than the Mest mk2. Maybe the bass is not as textured, but you really need the pounding impact to nod your head to music, otherwise you're just analyzing music.

But yea it is kind of hyped. I agree with Antdroid's grade for the Monarchs vs Crinacle's. It's probably an A-range iem and the Mest mk2 would be an S range. Still really excellent for the price and got me curious about other TOTL iems.

How are EEs? Do you have the Odins? The frequency response for the Empire Ears stuff look like they have really shouty upper mids and treble... I thought the Monarchs had too much upper mids and treble.

Yeah I have the Odins. I guess its a cotinuous spectrum where detail/clarity keep going up. Its a step up from my Nio, I dont find them shouty, but others might. If the Monarchs are too much you wont like the Odin. Then again, there are IEMs with similar/identical response curves that to me sound very different.

I actually got a frequency graph of my hearing sensitivity from an audiologist so figured a way to work out what "I hear" compared to speaker/IEM frequency sweeps I see. I have a preference for flatter than the more preferred Harman downward slope. However, with flatter response starting point I can switch to a Harman curve with EQ presets. Cant go the other way.

The Odin price is obscene though, cost as much as the LX521 speaker system I put together. Obviously not including the several diy hours with my sons, but that was priceless quality time.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #1,829 of 4,736
Yeah I have the Odins. I guess its a cotinuous spectrum where detail/clarity keep going up. Its a step up from my Nio, I dont find them shouty, but others might. If the Monarchs are too much you wont like the Odin. Then again, there are IEMs with similar/identical response curves that to me sound very different.

I actually got a frequency graph of my hearing sensitivity from an audiologist so figured a way to work out what "I hear" compared to speaker/IEM frequency sweeps I see. I have a preference for flatter than the more preferred Harman downward slope. However, with flatter response starting point I can switch to a Harman curve with EQ presets. Cant go the other way.

The Odin price is obscene though, cost as much as the LX521 speaker system I put together. Obviously not including the several diy hours with my sons, but that was priceless quality time.

Sorry, what do you mean by flatter vs Harman downward? Could you reference antdroid's chart to give me an idea? https://iems.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Harman Target,Odin

Yea, the prices of TOTL iems are crazy. $3k is what I paid to get my Miata track ready ($2k for car and $1k for suspension and safety stuff). I certainly find more enjoyment in driving cars, but IEMs help make my long working hours bearable.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #1,830 of 4,736

Oh, you too have the Nio.
What is your opinion of the Nio?
Are they really that bad technically? So little resolution do they have?

I already have 2 IEMs that I consider brilliant (Mest, Clairvoyance), and I am deciding what my next goal is going to be. I had thought about the IER-Z1R because everyone speaks highly of it, but perhaps the Nio is more complementary to the ones I already have, but I doubt its technical ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back