ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Apr 13, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #616 of 1,182
And im also interested in the fit on the ier-z1r vs the Monarch. The MMk2 fits me very well but is on the edge of being uncomfortable. I have medium/larger ears and mainly use L sized tips. With the MMk2 im using M sized Azla Ear Fit.
Some people posted that the Sonys fit them better than the MMk2, very curious.

Depends a lot on what they issue is . I have big ears but my ear canal isn't isn't that wide so the larger bore of the mk2 is tougher. The shell also exerts a little more pressure on my extension ear reference to the Z1R.

Thank you, very appreciated!

These are main tracks i test sibilance with:

Future Islands -"Born in a war"
Genesis -"Tonight, Tonight, Tonight"
Genesis - "No son of mine"
Adele - "Hello"

Thanks!

I did not find any of these tracks to be overly sibilant on the Z1R or Mk2

Future Islands - mk2 mid richness gives vocals more of a center stage than the Z1R does. Both do a great job though. The lack of center stage of vocals does allow the Z1R to sound more grand and cathedral like. I don't know if that's a real advantage to this song as I think they intubate stage is better but others might disagree and like the Z1R staging.

Adele - very similar between the two but again I think the mids in mk2 gives Adele a little more body to her voice and gives the vocals more presence. Less noticeable than in future Islands

interestingly the song no son of mine including the vocals I thought were better with the Z1R esp the bass pluck.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #617 of 1,182
Depends a lot on what they issue is . I have big ears but my ear canal isn't isn't that wide so the larger bore of the mk2 is tougher. The shell also exerts a little more pressure on my extension ear reference to the Z1R.

Future Islands - mk2 mid richness gives vocals more of a center stage than the Z1R does. Both dona great job I thought though

Adele - very similar between the two but again I think the mids in mk2 gives Adele a little more body to her voice and gives the vocals more presence. Less noticeable than in future Islands

interestingly the song no son of mine including the vocals I thought were better with the Z1R esp the bass pluck.
Thank you very much!

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #618 of 1,182
Thank you very much!

No prob! if you end up trying out the Z1R please test these songs too, I'd be curious to hear what your thoughts are!

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #619 of 1,182

Future Islands - mk2 mid richness gives vocals more of a center stage than the Z1R does. Both do a great job though. The lack of center stage of vocals does allow the Z1R to sound more grand and cathedral like. I don't know if that's a real advantage to this song as I think they intubate stage is better but others might disagree and like the Z1R staging.

Is the staging on the Sonys significantly better?

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #620 of 1,182

that's hard to answer it's very particular and I enjoy it but some might think it's not real

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #622 of 1,182
Curious if you folks plan on keeping U12T and Monarch mk2, or aiming to cull?

I am likely to keep both...

Have realised over the years that I am definitely not a basshead hehe

Could also be related to library, age and source but I am very happy
For me they are similar, not in tuning but in overall "pleasurable boredom". They differ but both are very reference in tuning, with slight difference in how they approach this.
Im now finding a great advantage of the DD driver, especially when paired with more dynamic and powerful source. Ive noticed that the BA drivers are not capable to scale more, they have their limits, where the DD of the Monarch is able to punch me like crazy.
But from a less powerful source, the u12t sounded slightly more exciting due to their exceptional dynamic capabilities.

BTW, how do you find the differences between the two?

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #625 of 1,182

Definitely. Z1R have spacious soundstage that considered 1 of the largest soundstage in an IEM, imaging level is comparable to monarch MkII, but Monarch MkII soundstage is much more intimate if compared to Z1R.

About trebles, As I maybe little bit treblehead too, I found the treble on Z1R is aggressive but in smooth and refine way. They are intense, but doesnt hurt you, but I can understand some people prefer relaxed one. Trebles on Z1R while have same aggressiveness with Mest (Mk I or II) they are more smoother and less harsh, both lower trebles and upper ones, and more natural presentation.

Mids are where Monarch MkII really stuns, the lush, full bodied and detailed mids is great on Monarch, Z1R lose on that area even I dont find Z1R's mids lacking or recessed at all since I always hear them on loud volume.

Bass part I already explain few pages before, the Z1R bass is almost perfect. Hope this helps you to join the Z1R club

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #626 of 1,182
Definitely. Z1R have spacious soundstage that considered 1 of the largest soundstage in an IEM, imaging level is comparable to monarch MkII, but Monarch MkII soundstage is much more intimate if compared to Z1R.

About trebles, As I maybe little bit treblehead too, I found the treble on Z1R is aggressive but in smooth and refine way. They are intense, but doesnt hurt you, but I can understand some people prefer relaxed one. Trebles on Z1R while have same aggressiveness with Mest (Mk I or II) they are more smoother and less harsh, both lower trebles and upper ones, and more natural presentation.

Mids are where Monarch MkII really stuns, the lush, full bodied and detailed mids is great on Monarch, Z1R lose on that area even I dont find Z1R's mids lacking or recessed at all since I always hear them on loud volume.

Bass part I already explain few pages before, the Z1R bass is almost perfect. Hope this helps you to join the Z1R club

This is a much more eloquently put description. The mids of the mk2 give vocals a nice center stage but that loses the spacious soundstage

Apr 14, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #627 of 1,182
Comparing Mmkii, mmkii definitely has more treble energy than z1r. More mid focused, less bass. It has sub bass impact ultimately, but it the least bassy of the 3, and the most treble-centric of the 3. It's not the Xenns Up with that upper treble bump (I actually love the Xenns treble; wish I had kept them). Stage is pretty similar, but I think mmkii has better separation and a fuller mid section. z1r bass can bleed in and overwhelm the overall sound. Doesn't bother me as I love my bass, but some won't love that. Mmkkii is my preferred iem at this point.

Yeah, I'm someone who doesn't love that. My impression of the z1r - and I really want to like it, as I know how well regarded it is - was that it was huge bass that could indeed overwhelm the overall sound, treble that sounded OK half the time and the other half honestly irritated me, and weak/no mids. And for me I think that's game over, the tuning for me sounds unlistenable if the mids are off. So the "boring" u12t (which I love) and Monarch Mk2 (which sound so well tuned to me), for my listening preferences, are better. I may pick up a Mk2 as a 2nd pair, but want to try out the U4s first and compare them.

Curious if you folks plan on keeping U12T and Monarch mk2, or aiming to cull?

I am likely to keep both...

Now I am curious, do you already have both, and how do you compare them?

If I do get the Monarch mk2, I also think I'd be likely to keep both.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #628 of 1,182
Yeah, I'm someone who doesn't love that. My impression of the z1r - and I really want to like it, as I know how well regarded it is - was that it was huge bass that could indeed overwhelm the overall sound, treble that sounded OK half the time and the other half honestly irritated me, and weak/no mids. And for me I think that's game over, the tuning for me sounds unlistenable if the mids are off. So the "boring" u12t (which I love) and Monarch Mk2 (which sound so well tuned to me), for my listening preferences, are better. I may pick up a Mk2 as a 2nd pair, but want to try out the U4s first and compare them.

Now I am curious, do you already have both, and how do you compare them?

If I do get the Monarch mk2, I also think I'd be likely to keep both.

Yeah I can totally see if you listen to certain genres in a certain way it's too inaccurate

Apr 14, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #630 of 1,182

I also thought that I would listen to mk2 and u12t in turn (possibly for different genres), but mk2 completely replaced u12t, as a result, u12t lie idle. I think that for mk2 you need to take something more fun, since you just don’t want to listen to u12t after mk2
Man i can only imagine how the MMk2 sound with this beauty. The mids must be better than in real life hah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back