ThieAudio Monarch MKII Experience
Nov 19, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #226 of 1,193
I didn't notice a big change in sound between w1 and the stock tips but I didn't do a real side by side comparison
big sound change for me. W1 makes it tighter with more mid-bass and a bit "forward" presentation than the stock tips. the transient becomes more granular than crisp. but it's very enjoyable still. I like it at times

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #228 of 1,193
Tried the MKII today, thought they were very good, and would enjoy some comparisons to my U12t. I was thinking about picking up a pair. Any idea if there might be a sale anytime soon? :D

Nov 19, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #229 of 1,193
Monarch MkII’s are available open box from Headphones.com for $100 less than the existing sale price. I just picked up a pair and they were great about resolving an issue with a missing accessory.

Nov 19, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #230 of 1,193
Hum... You should think about Artic Cables products 😉

I say that, I say nothing... 🙂😇
Awesome suggestion - I’ve yet to hear about this company. Super customizable. I was looking to buy a really nice, premium cable for my Monarch’s - this may be the way. And yes, I am still on the fence about being a cable believer or not 😂

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #231 of 1,193
Yeah I'm not going to yuck anyone's yum but I don't really hear a difference personally. For me it's about comfort and microphonics. Sadly while the stock cable feels premium it is heavy and pulls on the IEMs.
I’m in the same spot, the stock cable is not very comfortable. If someone finds something that’s well priced, and easier to use, please post

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #232 of 1,193
I’m in the same spot, the stock cable is not very comfortable. If someone finds something that’s well priced, and easier to use, please post
I’ve used the Kinera Leyding with my pair and I found it to be a great match. Fairly inexpensive, light weight and it has swappable terminations. Improved fit quite a bit.

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #233 of 1,193
Hum... You should think about Artic Cables products 😉
I'm admit (without wanting debate) that I'm not really a believer in cables altering sound quality, but I do have after market cables for almost all my full size headphones for aesthetic reasons (and to run them balanced, of course) and have a copper XLR model from Arctic Cables for my ZMF Aeolus (entirely for aesthetic reasons; I ordered ZMF's base XLR cable with that headphone but did not care for the look or rubbery feel). It was one or two models up from Arctic's bottom (they've apparently renamed and revamped their offerings since my purchase) and with options cost just under $200 USD IIRC. Aside from a couple of quibbles (the plastic covering on the substantial Furutech XLR connector strain relief came loose almost immediately and tends to slide down the cable but without apparent negative impact and the cable is a bit lighter and thinner than I'd prefer), it's a well made cable that does its job and has stood up well to a couple of years of pretty heavy use.

That said, I have no issue with the stock Monarch MKII cable. I use it mainly with the 4.4 connector; it's comfortable for me, feels OK (well, a touch more rubbery than optimal) and I wouldn't spend serious money to replace it. But to make Dave happy, I do like the feel of the stock FiiO FH9 cable just a bit more.

Nov 21, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #234 of 1,193
I use ares s for my cable, to improve the mid bass. Or maybe you can consider eros s if you have more budget.

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #235 of 1,193
2 days ago I've had an opportunity to try my friends setup- ak2k as paired with the Odin. It sounded really good but i preferred my Monarchs 2. The Odin had bit better detail retrieval but the tonal balance was better on the Monarchs. The M2 also had more realistic timbre and sound overall. Couldn't hear much of a difference in quality between my Shanling M8 and the AK, only the M8 was slightly warmer and more musical. It only shows that the transducers are the most important part of a chain.
The Monarchs are amazing! Soo smooth yet detailed and the imaging and space are incredible.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #236 of 1,193

I'm going to be trying out the Dunu DUW 02S. I like the modular design so I can use it with my Pixel, PC, stereo, and DAP. Just the cable with one connector is 79.99 on Dunus website.

Will report back!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #237 of 1,193
Does anyone know the specifics of the silicon tips that come with the Monarch (brand/model)? I've tried a few tips so far, but I come back to them since they sound the best. They only provide a shallow insertion, but the sound signature is worth it. I read somewhere that they are Acoustone AET-07. Can anyone confirm?

Nov 28, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #238 of 1,193

I just got a great deal on a used (but almost new) Effect Audio Grandioso cable and ordered it today. I intend to use it with my 64 Audio Trio but I shall test it with my Monarch MKII also and let everyone here know what I hear.

https://www.effectaudio.com/vogue-series/grandioso

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #239 of 1,193
Does anyone know the specifics of the silicon tips that come with the Monarch (brand/model)? I've tried a few tips so far, but I come back to them since they sound the best. They only provide a shallow insertion, but the sound signature is worth it. I read somewhere that they are Acoustone AET-07. Can anyone confirm?
I would like to know too. Maybe it's a good idea to contact Linsoul, Thieaudio is their brand.

Nov 28, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #240 of 1,193
I would like to know too. Maybe it's a good idea to contact Linsoul, Thieaudio is their brand.
It's funny that you both ask this. Last week, I was in an audio shop, tried the Monarch 2, and loved the tips. I wrote to the company to ask what tips they use so I can buy them. Here's the relevant part of what they wrote back to me:

"If you need Silicon Eartips, you can consider the following.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-series-silicon-eartips?variant=35848671559835

https://www.linsoul.com/products/azla-sednaearfit-max?variant=43035732836569

As for the size, please refer to the size chart which is included in one of the images."

I'm not sure if either of these are what is included (what do you think?), but it's what they recommended when I asked. As it happens, while I was waiting for their response, I bought the AZLA SednaEarfit MAX, and I think they're great. Not sure if they're what come with the Monarch (?) but I'm extremely happy with them. I wrote about them here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-145#post-17256456

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back