ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #693 of 1,778
Anyone else experiencing epic driver flex with the L3?
Nope, no driver flex here. I'd try to return that for an exchange or refund. Don't tolerate driver flex at this price point.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #694 of 1,778
I prefer both switches on.

Having 1 switch up (either case) really doesnt do anything that both on or both off already does, at least from what I hear as well as what I've measured on two units.

Thank you for this. Before my settings were 1,0 yes there is bass but crackling sound starts to appear and it is very unpleasant to hear. I don't know if its my eq in my smartphone or what but after I tried 1,1 all sounds right to me now.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #695 of 1,778
I've got the L3's but hearing about the sedna earfit tips and spiral dots have gotten me curious to test them out. However, the shipping costs with amazon cost more than the tips themselves and just can't justify the cost.

In that case, what are these like with spinfit cp100's? They're the only tips I can find on linsoul, other than foam tips but not sure if I want foam tips or not. Is the sound with the spinfits better than with the default tips?

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #696 of 1,778
I've got the L3's but hearing about the sedna earfit tips and spiral dots have gotten me curious to test them out. However, the shipping costs with amazon cost more than the tips themselves and just can't justify the cost.

In that case, what are these like with spinfit cp100's? They're the only tips I can find on linsoul, other than foam tips but not sure if I want foam tips or not. Is the sound with the spinfits better than with the default tips?
I’ll have to try them out later today.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #697 of 1,778
Guys, Just received my L3 (clockworks). I tried spinfits cp100, it sounds good with 0,1 setting. Then I changed the stock cable with Y i n y o o 16 Core High Purity Silver Plated cable as well as the tips with spinfits cp145 and move the switches to 1,1 or both up settings then banggg! Mids are clearer, bass is thumping but not overwhelming. For me it kinda reminds me of blon 03 but on steroids but with controlled bass and more details. I'm listening to it for 3 days and almost all of my songs in my playlist sounds good on this. I I am very happy with my purchased guys. Thanks!

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #701 of 1,778
Your opinions are definitely valid and welcome, but if I may suggest, since you just got them, don’t make too quick judgements.

The one very finicky issue with this IEM is ear tip selection. It makes a HUGE difference, and I don’t think many people like it that much with the stock tips. I found them to make the bass sound muddy and bloated. They also compress the soundstage and roll off the highs quite a bit. Mids sound a bit boxy with them. I also didn’t like the L3 with Final E tips. The general consensus seems to be that the L3s sound the best with wide bore tips, like Sedna Earfit tips or JVC Spiral Dots. I also found them to sound great with ePro Horn-Shaped tips, which makes everything sound quite a lot more lively/dynamic. Dull/laid back is a fair point, as you are not the only one to have that opinion. Treble roll-off is another commonly mentioned issue (for better or worse). I don’t find either issue to be the case for me, but that’s just my opinion.

If you want to base your review only with the included stock cable and tips, that’s fair, but I think it is worth mentioning that most people that tried different tips found them to make a big difference.

None of us hear what another person hears. 😉
But after awhile of this, we understand there are a lot of variables that should be exercised with IEMs. Tip-rolling, cable swaps, EQing, burn-in, etc.--all can be necessarily beneficial to some, or unbelieved by others. I certainly seem to notice great differences with some or all of these factors personally. But we all just want to enjoy our music to the max, so go do that.
For me, the L3 is a great, highly-enjoyable music listening device- especially for its price point. I think I'll be happy with it for years, um months, at least weeks, to come! 😁

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #702 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I then asked @Precogvision to perform a test tone listen at 3K and 4K because he didn't like the tuning of his and he said there was a big difference in volume between going from 3K and 4K -- 4K is quieter, which potentially could line up with the orange graph (my old set). His serial ID on the loaner he has is 285. I also asked @Titienne to do this test and his serial is 541 and he did not experience a noticeable volume change between the two test tones.

unknown.png

So, it would be interesting to hear from people if they can hear a difference between playing two test tones at 3K and 4KHz, and how you describe the tuning in general. :)

Here are two YT vids of test tones -- make sure you turn volume down first and then turn it up to something comfortable.

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

and/or try these two sets of video test tones:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #703 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I then asked @Precogvision to perform a test tone listen at 3K and 4K because he didn't like the tuning of his and he said there was a big difference in volume between going from 3K and 4K -- 4K is quieter, which potentially could line up with the orange graph (my old set). His serial ID on the loaner he has is 285. I also asked @Titienne to do this test and his serial is 541 and he did not experience a noticeable volume change between the two test tones.

unknown.png

So, it would be interesting to hear from people if they can hear a difference between playing two test tones at 3K and 4KHz, and how you describe the tuning in general. :)

Here are two YT vids of test tones -- make sure you turn volume down first and then turn it up to something comfortable.

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

Where should I look to find the serial number? I don’t see it listed on either the box the L3 came in, not on the iem.

Jun 26, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #704 of 1,778
Where should I look to find the serial number? I don’t see it listed on either the box the L3 came in, not on the iem.
It should be printed on the back of the IEM, under the name “Legacy 3”.

None of us hear what another person hears. 😉 But after awhile of this, we understand there are a lot of variables that should be exercised with IEMs. Tip-rolling, cable swaps, EQing, burn-in, etc.--all can be necessarily beneficial to some, or unbelieved by others. I certainly seem to notice great differences with some or all of these factors personally. But we all just want to enjoy our music to the max, so go do that. For me, the L3 is a great, highly-enjoyable music listening device- especially for its price point. I think I'll be happy with it for years, um months, at least weeks, to come! 😁
There certainly are a lot of variables, including sample variation, unfortunately. While some of those factors you mentioned tend to be a bit controversial, I think ear tip selection is a well accepted variable, that can affect the sound quite a bit. We do all hear things differently, and I’m definitely not trying to criticize what anyone else hears. I just wanted to point out that with the L3s, ear tip choice seems to have a significant impact on sound. I’ve had quite a few IEMs where different tips had minimal impact on sound, but with the L3 and my FDX1, tip choice is very influential.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #705 of 1,778
Hi,

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

This is a great idea!!! I’ll test mine out later today. With test tones and freq sweep. Mine was an early unit, Serial # in the 60s, I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back