ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 17, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #618 of 1,778
Hi guys, I just want to ask if sony nw a35 dap can drive l3 or do I need an amp to juice it.
I also ordered this cable along with my l3 clockwork. I hope it will have a good synergy with my dap because sony a35 has a warm tonality. ThanksShopee_7262e8fd674b986827aa888cbc0670b0.jpg
Yes, the A35 should have no problem driving the L3.

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #620 of 1,778
I have the Starfields and am listening to them as I type. I like them a lot, but sometimes I want something a little more fun and comfy, so I move over to the BL-03s when I want more fat bottom action. I was hoping to use the L3s as my 'better and more expensive' version of those BLONs. And I was going to go the CIEM route to justify getting something lateral (ear impressions + CIEM with custom faceplate for under $300).

* But they're now SOLD OUT on Linsoul's site.

In that case, the L3 is good. I definitely like them more than my BLONs

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #621 of 1,778
Alright here's my review of the ThieAudio Legacy 3s after about 5 days of use:

I'm just want to start by saying that there's kind of a lot of hype around these right now, some of which I do think is well deserved particularly at a price point of around $120-130 for the universals. They're absolutely some of the best and most refined IEMs I've heard in this price range. However, I do want to advise those waiting on these right now to temper their expectations just a little bit. The L3s are not world beaters, particularly when it comes to certain technicalities. That being said, they are some of the most fun, musical, nuanced, and coherent hybrids that I've heard in this range, and punch solidly above their weight. Now, let's get into my full impressions.

Sound Signature: I'd describe the sound signature of the L3s as confident, rich, and engaging. They play music with vibrancy, completeness, and energy, regardless of the genre you're listening to. The tonality is on the warm side, though by no means dark. I'll get into it in more detail below, but the bass is absolutely phenomenal to my ears. There's also a very nice refinement and realism to instruments and vocals, which are pushed forward to a tasteful degree. The L3s also never become harsh and are very easy to listen to for long periods of time, making them an exceptionally versatile IEM. The sound is actually surprisingly coherent for a sub-$150 hybrid, and the tuning is top notch. Overall, while there are a few deficiencies that hold the L3s back from entering absolute legendary status, these are definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Bass: If you're like me and love quality DD bass in your IEMs, there's no doubt in my mind that you'll love the bass on the L3s. It's just excellent, probably some of the best I've heard at any price range to be honest. It's not insanely overpowering (and might not be quite enough for pure bassheads without EQ), but it's very well textured, weighty, and impactful. Overall the L3s are pretty balanced throughout the bass frequency range, with a slight mid-bass emphasis. That being said, the bass extends to fantastic depths with almost no roll-off. It's also got a great level of detail and variation - upright bass sounds excellent and you can feel the pluck of the string even at the lowest register. Lower range drums and percussion, whether in a band or orchestral setting, sound hefty with a speedy attack. On electronic, reggae, hip-hop, and funk music, the rumble is clean, epic, and provides an engulfing effect without infringing on the lower mid-range. The one thing I will say is that those looking for a flat response should look elsewhere, but I do think the tonal balance is pretty great.

Mids: The mids on the L3s are great in my opinion. They are definitely a bit forward, so those that want a little more laid back sound might not love it. I actually love a good mid-forward presentation, and in terms of mid-range quality these do not disappoint. The timbre is fantastic and natural, there's zero BA weirdness, instruments and vocals sound just right. There's also a good amount of detail for the price, and it never feels like anything is missing. While the L3s are not super analytic detail monsters, there's absolutely enough here to make music feel alive and full. What's really impressive is the amount of nuance and refinement. For instance, the various tonal qualities of different brass instruments or high mid percussion or various stringed instruments (I was a semi-professional violinist for over 15 years so I'm very sensitive to crappy sounding strings), are all immediately discernible and apparent. This makes music feel quite vibrant. Vocals are also really nice, striking a good balance between revealing and smooth. These won't blow your mind with microdetails, but the more I listened to them the more I appreciated the subtleties that they're able to produce, particularly for the price.

Highs: The highs are quite good, particularly in the lower-high range, but the very top end is a bit pulled back for my liking. I'm not someone who wants to be inundated with sharp, piercing highs, but I do feel that the highs are a bit too safe and definitely take a backseat to the bass and mids. There are some qualities that I do like though. For one, as is the theme of the L3s, the actual tonality is very well done - cymbals have a realistic attack and decay, and flutes sound breathy and pure. The treble also extends nicely, and sounds particularly good on well done electronic music and jazz. The lower-treble is also clean and clear without ever becoming harsh and there's a solid amount of detail and separation for the price range. The only thing is that on very busy tracks, the top end can feel too far back in the mix. It's there but you have to really listen for it. This is definitely a matter of personal preference, but I find that this is where the L3s are being held back a little. Overall though, I do appreciate that these are not fatiguing while remaining engaging and lively over long listening sessions.

Soundstage/Imaging: I think this is an area where expectations need to be tempered a little. The actual stage on the L3s is not very wide and mostly resides within your head. I'd say slightly below average even in the price range, though there is some depth here and I do hear certain things from front to back. There's also good instrument separation and it never feels too congested. Part of this has to do with great imaging. Each element of the music has its distinct and logical place in the mix. Further, the locational accuracy is actually very good, evidenced by strong performance on binaural recordings.

Accessories: I'll start with the bad - the eartips are pretty terrible. While they create a decent seal, they're stiff, not very comfortable and to my ears they crush the highs a bit. I'm using Final Audio E series tips right now, which work really nicely and noticeably improve the sound, comfort, and isolation. The cable on the other hand is super nice. It's got a rubber weave structure that rejects tangles and microphonics very well. It's also got a sturdy 3.5 connector and is not too long or too short for me.

Look/Fit: This is obviously a very subjective category. Regarding look, I opted for the Mystique colorway, which I did not love when looking at pictures online but liked more than the clockwork faceplate. They actually look much better in person and in the ears. Much more subtle and premium than I was expecting. Still not my favorite but I'm happy with it. The fit for me is great, as they remain comfortable in my ears for hours at a time. They're smaller than I was expecting them to be based on pictures. The cable puts a little strain on the top of my ear where it wraps around after about 1.5 hours of listening, but it's not bad at all.

Conclusion: Overall, the L3s are a truly engaging and versatile IEM with excellent timbre, a refined mid-range, and fantastic bass response. While they are not super analytical and don't have an expansive 3D soundstage (not many IEMs do at this price point anyway), they are probably my favorite entry-level IEM at the moment.

Very nice review... Mine are out for delivery due in today... Great to be able to order from Amazon and get in 7 days or less.. Question, were yours packed like new in retail packaging or just in a case?

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #622 of 1,778
Since I believe my review isn't going to be approved by Amazon. Here's what I recieved It was a KZ ZSX's; I loved how they sounded. They stuck out of my ears like antennas, found them to be really uncomfortable. Only tried them with a few songs. Might be a future purchase. I liked the bass on them a whole lot. Unfortunately I had to return them to Amazon to recieve what I paid.They come in today. Love how Clockworks look. <3

Attachments

• 20200614_103522~2.jpg
    20200614_103522~2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #623 of 1,778
Very nice review... Mine are out for delivery due in today... Great to be able to order from Amazon and get in 7 days or less.. Question, were yours packed like new in retail packaging or just in a case?
I'm curious when you receive yours to see what packaging you got. I got a replacement from Amazon to see if it comes in original packaging.

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #630 of 1,778
Got my L3 in today from Amazon.. Packaging was Great, Retail Box, Leather case with the items inside already attached to cable.. Everything had the New Car smell.. Going on 2 hours in ears... Very impressed... with stock tips Large, Only using Samsung phone for now and they are extremely clear and detailed at low volumes.. I can actually hear them opening up as I listen more.. The quality of the bass is phenomenal and just enough.. Male and female vocals are exquisite... No sibilance, slight Rolloff on the top end of treble making for a relaxing listen with no fatigue... Can definitely hear the quality of the DD.... Will tip roll and burn in, in ears, but I don't know how it can get much better than this for the money.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back