ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
May 21, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #288 of 1,778
If you do get your L3 please give them a good clean with bacterial wipes. After 2 days of listening to them I got a ear infection with some horrible tinnitus

:scream: :mask:
Thanks for the warning. I believe that mine will no longer arrive, I will put the claim on Aliexpress. But just in case it comes is good to know and be forewarned.

May 21, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #289 of 1,778
Changed bassy spinfits to balanced and also switched on the detail switch and the tone has changed for the better. Now the highs are not rolled off and I'm getting lots of microdetail and superb imaging. Very impressed! The tuning is fantastic. The bass is deep. Not basshead levels but moves with a lot of air. The soundstage while not the widest or deepest sounds very very natural. The right amount of decay. Nothing sounds forced. Very similar sounding to fiio fh5 and 7.These are much better in sound and quality than my Shuoer Tapes and Starfields. Love the way they dissect sound and place instruments in the right order . Because you get such a distinct change in sound with the switches it now sounds like 3 different iems in one. Now after changing tips and switches these are punching way above their weight class. Very classy stuff

May 21, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #290 of 1,778
Changed bassy spinfits to balanced and also switched on the detail switch and the tone has changed for the better. Now the highs are not rolled off and I'm getting lots of microdetail and superb imaging. Very impressed! The tuning is fantastic. The bass is deep. Not basshead levels but moves with a lot of air. The soundstage while not the widest or deepest sounds very very natural. The right amount of decay. Nothing sounds forced. Very similar sounding to fiio fh5 and 7.These are much better in sound and quality than my Shuoer Tapes and Starfields. Love the way they dissect sound and place instruments in the right order . Because you get such a distinct change in sound with the switches it now sounds like 3 different iems in one. Now after changing tips and switches these are punching way above their weight class. Very classy stuff

Which Spinfits are "bassy"? Ordered cp100 for my L3, wonder if they will have good synergy 🤔

May 21, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #292 of 1,778
Hi there!

I am interested in the L3 and curious what you like more about them, compared to the Starfield. I just got the Starfield a couple of days ago and love them, so if the L3 are "better", I really want a pair. Any comparisons between the two, would be great. Thanks for your time!

May 21, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #293 of 1,778
Hi there!

I am interested in the L3 and curious what you like more about them, compared to the Starfield. I just got the Starfield a couple of days ago and love them, so if the L3 are "better", I really want a pair. Any comparisons between the two, would be great. Thanks for your time!
I love the Starfields. They have a lovely linear sound. I do like the fact nothing sounds artificial. Apart from a bump in the mid bass. On the default setting the L3 sounds very similar to the starfields especially the timbre. Where I would say the L3 is better is that they are more versatile. With the switches it alters the sound for me. My only issue with the Moondrops they lack a bit of air. I notice it in certain tracks and genres. The L3 are more versatile, much more of all rounder. They have a bit more resolution and the imaging is much better.. If you like the moon drops you will love these.

May 21, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #294 of 1,778
IMG_20200521_133014.jpg
IMG_20200521_132351.jpg

L3s came a day early. Extremely impressed.

May 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #295 of 1,778
I love the Starfields. They have a lovely linear sound. I do like the fact nothing sounds artificial. Apart from a bump in the mid bass. On the default setting the L3 sounds very similar to the starfields especially the timbre. Where I would say the L3 is better is that they are more versatile. With the switches it alters the sound for me. My only issue with the Moondrops they lack a bit of air. I notice it in certain tracks and genres. The L3 are more versatile, much more of all rounder. They have a bit more resolution and the imaging is much better.. If you like the moon drops you will love these.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Looks like the L3 are my next purchase.:ksc75smile:

May 21, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #297 of 1,778
May 21, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #298 of 1,778
I am curious. For those of you who own quite a few IEMs and also these, where do they fit into your lineup? I mean how do they stack up and when you would pull these out versus others in your collection. For me; they have a stronger bass profile and really serve up rock well; not that they aren’t good for classical or jazz. My FLC 8D is good for rock but amazing for jazz and classical. They also comfortable for sleeping whereas the ThieAudio is less so. The right tip sticks in my ear during removal every so often (its a JVC). The FLC8D is a bit more on the hyper detailed side of things; every instrument has its place in jazz and small ensemble classical. The L3 is a bit more “organic”.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #299 of 1,778
Another question for the group. Are these considered to be Harman curve oriented? If they aren’t, how would you describe them on an absolute level and relative to Harman.

My perception is that these are close to Harman but I don’t have the measuring rig to verify such a claim.

May 21, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #300 of 1,778
I am curious. For those of you who own quite a few IEMs and also these, where do they fit into your lineup? I mean how do they stack up and when you would pull these out versus others in your collection. For me; they have a stronger bass profile and really serve up rock well; not that they aren’t good for classical or jazz. My FLC 8D is good for rock but amazing for jazz and classical. They also comfortable for sleeping whereas the ThieAudio is less so. The right tip sticks in my ear during removal every so often (its a JVC). The FLC8D is a bit more on the hyper detailed side of things; every instrument has its place in jazz and small ensemble classical. The L3 is a bit more “organic”.

Right now, my top three IEMs (that I own) are the se846, L3, and FDX1. If I had to choose one, for all types of music, and isolation were not an issue, the L3 would be my top pick. However, my overall favorite is still the se846, b/c I use it as a stage monitor, and it can provide an incredible amount of isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back