ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #706 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I then asked @Precogvision to perform a test tone listen at 3K and 4K because he didn't like the tuning of his and he said there was a big difference in volume between going from 3K and 4K -- 4K is quieter, which potentially could line up with the orange graph (my old set). His serial ID on the loaner he has is 285. I also asked @Titienne to do this test and his serial is 541 and he did not experience a noticeable volume change between the two test tones.

unknown.png

So, it would be interesting to hear from people if they can hear a difference between playing two test tones at 3K and 4KHz, and how you describe the tuning in general. :)

Here are two YT vids of test tones -- make sure you turn volume down first and then turn it up to something comfortable.

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

I have the serial number 172, and I listen these 2 videos at same volume :thinking:

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #708 of 1,778
Hi,

I kind of want to conduct an experiment with Legacy 3 users because I found variance between my first set which had channel imbalance and my new set. I bought one with serial ID 317 that had channel mismatch. One had a huge dip after 3K as shown in orange line below. 13dB dip in that range. The other channel didnt but had elevated bass. Then I got a replacement sent that looks like the red line and sounds a lot better, in my opinion. The new serial is 413. When I looked at hawaiibadboy's review graph his looked like the orange graph pretty closely, while if I looked at Crinacle's, it looked closer to the red line -- like my new set.

I then asked @Precogvision to perform a test tone listen at 3K and 4K because he didn't like the tuning of his and he said there was a big difference in volume between going from 3K and 4K -- 4K is quieter, which potentially could line up with the orange graph (my old set). His serial ID on the loaner he has is 285. I also asked @Titienne to do this test and his serial is 541 and he did not experience a noticeable volume change between the two test tones.

unknown.png

So, it would be interesting to hear from people if they can hear a difference between playing two test tones at 3K and 4KHz, and how you describe the tuning in general. :)

Here are two YT vids of test tones -- make sure you turn volume down first and then turn it up to something comfortable.

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

I have #24. The two tones sound similar in terms of volume. There might be a slight reduction in volume with 4000, but it’s hard for me to be certain. To note, I do have some hearing loss in the upper spectrum, due to loud noise (darn those concerts when I was a kid).

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #709 of 1,778
Cool yes, I think there could be unit variation early on. That's why I am polling. I asked Thieaudio and they said tuning did not change, so could just be some batches were made differently than others.

Ideally, the difference actually occurs the worst at 4.5KHz (4500Hz) but I didn't do a hard search for a readily available test tone for that frequency. I use my measurement software (REW) to play frequency sweeps at various tones to measure IEMs and so I can quickly find those flaws. This one was quite noticable to me when I first got my original set I bought since the channels L/R didnt even come close to one another across the entire bass to treble region, which was I question what is the actual correct tuning. :)

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #710 of 1,778
I did find this, however the 2nd unit I got has a small dip at 4.5KHz too but not the same 13dB dip which is rather large.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #711 of 1,778
I did find this, however the 2nd unit I got has a small dip at 4.5KHz too but not the same 13dB dip which is rather large.

I think there is unit variation. The comments on here wildly vary. My set sounds very neutral with a pleasant sub bass rumble and a linear clean midrange with clear highs which lack extension but sound fine. Many comments talk of weak tinny bass. Mine don't sound that way at all. Mine have a strong sub and mid bass.

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #712 of 1,778
It should be printed on the back of the IEM, under the name “Legacy 3”.

There certainly are a lot of variables, including sample variation, unfortunately. While some of those factors you mentioned tend to be a bit controversial, I think ear tip selection is a well accepted variable, that can affect the sound quite a bit. We do all hear things differently, and I’m definitely not trying to criticize what anyone else hears. I just wanted to point out that with the L3s, ear tip choice seems to have a significant impact on sound. I’ve had quite a few IEMs where different tips had minimal impact on sound, but with the L3 and my FDX1, tip choice is very influential.
I'm in total agreement with you! Some seem to think they can't bother to find the best tips for them, others think an IEM should only be reviewed/listened to with the stock tips even.
Getting the right tip (seal) is absolutely essential in my thinking (hearing) as well.

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #713 of 1,778
Hi,

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

Same amount of sound from both ears. Took
Cool yes, I think there could be unit variation early on. That's why I am polling. I asked Thieaudio and they said tuning did not change, so could just be some batches were made differently than others.

Ideally, the difference actually occurs the worst at 4.5KHz (4500Hz) but I didn't do a hard search for a readily available test tone for that frequency. I use my measurement software (REW) to play frequency sweeps at various tones to measure IEMs and so I can quickly find those flaws. This one was quite noticable to me when I first got my original set I bought since the channels L/R didnt even come close to one another across the entire bass to treble region, which was I question what is the actual correct tuning. :)

Both channels sound exactly the same on my unit. I ordeded another regular Clockworks set to see if there's any difference between my current Mystique and the Clockworks.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #714 of 1,778
Hi,

unknown.png

3K Test Tone

4K Test Tone

and/or try these two sets of video test tones:

Antdroid,
I'm hearing both test tones very equally. Loud, annoying, piercingfully so. My L3 is #606. (Custom shells, Bal 4.4 cable out of DX160).

Attachments

• 20200626_155433.jpg
    20200626_155433.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #715 of 1,778
I think there is unit variation. The comments on here wildly vary. My set sounds very neutral with a pleasant sub bass rumble and a linear clean midrange with clear highs which lack extension but sound fine. Many comments talk of weak tinny bass. Mine don't sound that way at all. Mine have a strong sub and mid bass.
Mine sound exactly as you describe. If anything, the bass is def. a little strong (not to my listening pref, but in relation to the overall FR curve). The bass is far from anemic or tinny on my set!

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #716 of 1,778
Cool thanks for the feedback! I do agree tip rolling makes a big difference if you cant get the seal right and they do affect treble response a bit and that's somewhat measurable.
I use Azla Sednalight tips on mine and they fit and sound great.

As a reference, this was my first, defective, set that I measured and provided feedback and asked for an exchange to Linsoul:
1593202811368.png

As you can see, the Left and Right channels clearly did not match. The Right channel was way boomier but had a more linear mid-range. The Left channel has that big dip in the 4-5KHz region, which was what I asked for some feedback testing on. That's because I saw that matched with the graph that HBB/BGGR posted.

When I got my second set, after I mentioned the channel imbalance, the measurements matched and looked different -- the Red graph on the previous picture I posted. So I got 2 IEMs with 3 different tuning variations. haha. I have to assume the version I have now, which matches the red graph on the previous chart (shown below again for easy sake), is current/desired tuning, since most of you are saying there's no audible reduction in volume between the test tones in your sets, which would be apparent if it looked like the orange graph.

unknown.png

At the end of the day, I think this is a really good IEM for the price they are asking for at my moderate listening volume. Even more stellar of a deal when you consider that you can get a CIEM for under $200, which I'm hoping they'll send to me next week. I liked it so much I ordered it again haha.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #717 of 1,778
mines serial 82...not much diff between 3k and 4k. Played 4k and 4.5k using an app to measure approx 5db diff, so I prob got a set nearer to the red line.

Bass on mine is what i describe as clean? u can feel the displacement of air from the DD too. Light and punchy.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #718 of 1,778
Mine is in the 190's. I recommend you guys listen to Dissident by Pearl Jam. It has bass and nice soundstage, it simply sounds amazing. The file I have is a CD ripped, I haven't tested what online venders offer. All I know is that it sounds amazing on my L3's with Sendra tips.

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #719 of 1,778
I may need to exchange mine. I’m still not getting the bass you guys are talking about and has extreme driver flex on the left side when barely touching the shell.

Has anyone dealt with Linsoul regarding exchanges?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #720 of 1,778
I've got the L3's but hearing about the sedna earfit tips and spiral dots have gotten me curious to test them out. However, the shipping costs with amazon cost more than the tips themselves and just can't justify the cost.

In that case, what are these like with spinfit cp100's? They're the only tips I can find on linsoul, other than foam tips but not sure if I want foam tips or not. Is the sound with the spinfits better than with the default tips?

Okay, I’ve tested my L3s with SpinFit tips, and here’s what I found.

- With the CP100, it sounds quite good. I don’t like it as much as with the Sedna Earfit, but it’s pretty close. The bass and treble are clean. No significant muddiness noted. There is a little bit of resonance/boxiness with some lower pitched vocals, but it’s not much. These ear tips fit on the IEM nozzles perfectly.

- With the CP145, it sounds very good. I actually like these tips (sound wise) about as much as the Sedna Earfit. The treble/upper treble is actually more pronounced than with the CP100 or even the Sedna tips. If you like a lot of treble, and think the L3 treble sounds rolled off, these tips are great. The bass is clean and articulate. No resonance or boxiness noted with vocals. I like the sound of these tips a lot. The two issues for me are that due to the length of both SpinFit tips, they make the IEM stick out further than I like. Its not that big a deal though, and if you get smaller size tips, and insert them a little deeper, it will remedy this issue. Possibly the bigger issue, specifically with the CP145 is that while the tips fit on the L3 nozzles well, they fit a bit loosely, and run the possibility of coming off in your ear, especially with a deeper insertion/tighter fit.

- One other option to consider is that of all of the foam tips I tried, these cheap, generic tips actually work best for me. In general, the wider and shallower the ear tip, the better the sound, b/c the end of the L3 nozzles are the least obstructed with such tips (SpinFits are somehow a bit exempt from this, possibly due to the space for the flex joint?). I take these generic foam tips, and insert them on the nozzles backwards (wide end goes furthest into your ear). I push them onto the nozzle as far as I can, and there is only a very shallow lip remaining that extends beyond the end of the nozzles this way. By placing them backwards, it seals well, but the noise isolation seems a little less, probably due to a decreased length of tight seal within the ear canal.

63F55D77-EAD6-41C1-A43E-D0D16F32EB99.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Eartips-RIYO-Earphone-Headphones/dp/B071NJQ6J3

Hope this information helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back