Thieaudio legacy 3 vs shuoer tape + others. $125 budget.
Jun 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sound N00b

Head-Fier
I was happy with my blon 03s until I lost them and I think it is finally time to stop grieving them and find a replacement to fill the beater set role. I listen primarily to a lot of rock ranging from classical metal/hard rock to more chill alternative stuff like the gorillaz but I listen to pretty much everything so I want them to be good for everything (even to some extent non music applications like gaming and streaming).

While I enjoyed my blons my main problem I had with the blons was that they just did not fit me, for my next pair I think I will have to go with a more standard ciem imitation style fit. In addition 9/10 times I enjoyed the more lively feel of the blons but I sometimes felt myself missing the increased soundstage and detail retrieval on certain tracks which they can occasionally miss out on.

I watch a decent amount of BGGAR and he absolutely loves the thieaudio legacy 3. Listening to him it honestly seems like a set I would like; it has just a tad bit less bass like I wanted, customizable dip switches, and a fit not made for aliens. I really do enjoy the blon formula and a variation of it sounds enticing.

One other iem which stood out to me were the shuoer tapes. The electrostatic drivers seem super interesting and the detail retrieval is something I could really appreciate. Before I was really even that into audiophile stuff I once had the luxury to listen to some familiar songs on some stax headphones and it was amazing, it felt like living my entire life with really dirty glasses and cleaning it for the first time. I really appreciate sound stage and detail retrieval in my iems or in general the overall ability to imagine you are actually in a physical space. Do the tapes really uphold the electrostatic name?

I like my iems to have good soundstage+imaging and detail retrieval but my main objective is a fun, enjoyable, and larger than life sound profile and I don’t want to sacrifice that for detail retrieval especially if the set I would be leaving behind already does a good job on that front in the first place. Also BGGAR really hyped up the legacy 3’s, are they really as good as he says it is among a pretty fierce competition (moondrop starfields, shozy form, ect) or could I really do better?

I feel like everything I wrote above is probably word spaghetti and impossible to understand so in summary: Some people say the thieaudio legacy 3 is the cats pajamas, is it really that good? Shuoer tapes insane detail retrieval seems really cool but is the rest of the iem good enough for the overall package to beat out options like the legacy 3 ?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 7
I was happy with my blon 03s until I lost them and I think it is finally time to stop grieving them and find a replacement to fill the beater set role. I listen primarily to a lot of rock ranging from classical metal/hard rock to more chill alternative stuff like the gorillaz but I listen to pretty much everything so I want them to be good for everything (even to some extent non music applications like gaming and streaming).

While I enjoyed my blons my main problem I had with the blons was that they just did not fit me, for my next pair I think I will have to go with a more standard ciem imitation style fit. In addition 9/10 times I enjoyed the more lively feel of the blons but I sometimes felt myself missing the increased soundstage and detail retrieval on certain tracks which they can occasionally miss out on.

I watch a decent amount of BGGAR and he absolutely loves the thieaudio legacy 3. Listening to him it honestly seems like a set I would like; it has just a tad bit less bass like I wanted, customizable dip switches, and a fit not made for aliens. I really do enjoy the blon formula and a variation of it sounds enticing.

One other iem which stood out to me were the shuoer tapes. The electrostatic drivers seem super interesting and the detail retrieval is something I could really appreciate. Before I was really even that into audiophile stuff I once had the luxury to listen to some familiar songs on some stax headphones and it was amazing, it felt like living my entire life with really dirty glasses and cleaning it for the first time. I really appreciate sound stage and detail retrieval in my iems or in general the overall ability to imagine you are actually in a physical space. Do the tapes really uphold the electrostatic name?

I like my iems to have good soundstage+imaging and detail retrieval but my main objective is a fun, enjoyable, and larger than life sound profile and I don’t want to sacrifice that for detail retrieval especially if the set I would be leaving behind already does a good job on that front in the first place. Also BGGAR really hyped up the legacy 3’s, are they really as good as he says it is among a pretty fierce competition (moondrop starfields, shozy form, ect) or could I really do better?

I feel like everything I wrote above is probably word spaghetti and impossible to understand so in summary: Some people say the thieaudio legacy 3 is the cats pajamas, is it really that good? Shuoer tapes insane detail retrieval seems really cool but is the rest of the iem good enough for the overall package to beat out options like the legacy 3 ?
I am also very curious about this! Anyone?

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 7

Having both of them, I can very confidently recommend the Legacy 3 over the Tape.

The Legacy 3 is tuned very similarly to the BL03, with less bass. It is cleaner sounding, the bass has a lot more texture, detail retrieval is notably better, the fit is great, and it has a very pleasant sound overall, that I don’t find offensive in any way. I do like the BL03 a lot, but the Legacy 3 is currently my favorite sounding IEM.

2560DB87-A13B-4A1E-A438-95CDD536F8EC.png

I don’t think I have ever recommended the Tape to anyone as a general daily use IEM. It is definitely unique sounding, but is very colored. The detail retrieval can be amazing, but the 3.5 KHz peak is huge, and can potentially be very bothersome. I recommend use of EQ with the Tape.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 7
Having both of them, I can very confidently recommend the Legacy 3 over the Tape.

The Legacy 3 is tuned very similarly to the BL03, with less bass. It is cleaner sounding, the bass has a lot more texture, detail retrieval is notably better, the fit is great, and it has a very pleasant sound overall, that I don’t find offensive in any way. I do like the BL03 a lot, but the Legacy 3 is currently my favorite sounding IEM.

2560DB87-A13B-4A1E-A438-95CDD536F8EC.png

I don’t think I have ever recommended the Tape to anyone as a general daily use IEM. It is definitely unique sounding, but is very colored. The detail retrieval can be amazing, but the 3.5 KHz peak is huge, and can potentially be very bothersome. I recommend use of EQ with the Tape.
Thanks for the insight! Do you have a favorite dip switch position?

Jun 15, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 7
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 7
It sounds great directly through my iPhone. It does scale well when using better sources, such as the Dragonfly Cobalt, but other sources are not necessary. Dedicated amps are definitely not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back