THIEAUDIO ELIXIR UNIVERSAL IN EAR
May 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #92 of 138
Wow. These are... So close to each other graph-wise!

How do they compare to each other in your opinion?
I unfortunately do not have a Zen Pro, but I have been comparing it to original Dunu Zen quite a bit over the past week. My review will be written may be this weekend or early next week. I also have a Tin P1 Max to write up too. But quick summary of my impressions so far:

It fits great, but the nozzle angle isnt optimal for my ear shape, so I had quite a challenging time finding tips that worked for me. I originally thought I had good seal and my initial impressions were that this sounded really weird, in that it had great tonality but it had near zero decay, like a really muted BA driver or super dampened, but it still didnt have any bass loss, or anything, That was strange. I then eventually found tips that made the decay come out, but it wasnt stable in my ear due to angle of nozzle. I finally went to my box at the bottom of my drawer which has hundreds of tips i dont typically use, and dug out 2-flange tips that were able to bend a little more to fit the canal and get great seal. This was significantly better overall, and was comfortable, except perhaps the initial insertion.

Anyway, I think this is actually a very good IEM, especially at its price point. I do think the Zen beats it in dynamics (both macro and micro), punch, and clarity. The Zen has a bit more forward upper-mids, but not as much treble extension. They are however, less fatiguing than the Zens in that sense (less forward sharp mids). I think some who are expecting the Elixir to have a lot of slam and punch may be disappointed that its more balanced and muted, but it still has good levels of decay and can still hit with some authority, just not on the level of say the CCA CRA or a Legend X or Valkyrie.

Thus far my biggest complaints for this IEM are nozzle fit, and its super super highly sensitive and i'm assuming also low impedance. This actually messes with one of my portable amps with a Burson V5i op-amp, which does not play well with it at all; crazy distortion or noise. I had to swap out to OPA627 on the voltage side, and move the V5i to buffer and then it was dead silent. So, basically this IEM does not take a lot to get loud, from what I can tell. There's no specs for this last time I checked, but would be interesting to see if I'm correct.

But other than that, I really enjoy it otherwise, especially given the price point. Also, it looks really great.

May 20, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #93 of 138
If someone wants to send me an Elixir I’m down!
Yes! Penon vs. Linsoul, fight! Plus, your review prowess and unfettered opinion would be helpful for perspective.

May 26, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #96 of 138
I’ve had the Elixir for a week and they’re resolving af. Picks up detail like a multi-ba set
As often artistic creations are, the Elixir is a composite of opposites. Seemingly detailed and ultimately musical, both at the same time. It’s like the detail walked through the door with a handbag of atmosphere. I mean I can only imagine the different interpretations that will arise. As some focus on one aspect and another another aspect. Such is the enigma of the 3D driver, a holographic universe!

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #97 of 138
Elixir unboxing.

May 31, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #98 of 138
My review of the Elixir (with comparisons to KATO, ER2XR, and FDX1):

Pros
  • Metal build, comfortable fit. Nice light cable.
  • Etymotic-style neutral tuning, without the Etymotic-style fit.
  • Very good tuning -- neutral mids with just a tasteful bit of bass boost to inject some fun into it. Tonally similar to ER2XR and Etymotic Evo, if you're familiar with those.
  • Good treble extension.
  • Decent layering and separation -- won't wow you, but it's perfectly capable of cutting through busy tracks.

Cons
  • Tonally a tad dark for me (like said Etys) -- which I think holds back the technical performance a bit.
  • Aesthetically, I don't love it. The randomized pattern on the faceplates is fine, but the shell + colors seems a bit stodgy.
Frequency response: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,ThieAudio_Elixir

graph - 2022-05-31T062559.329.png

KATO is more V-shaped -- more mid bass body, a bit more lower treble presence.

graph - 2022-05-31T062619.432.png

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #100 of 138
Jun 6, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #102 of 138
Yes! Penon vs. Linsoul, fight! Plus, your review prowess and unfettered opinion would be helpful for perspective.
OK so I bought the Elixir and just got them in this afternoon, my hot take is that at the very least Thieaudio's marketing spiel about crafting an analog sound is absolutely on point. The Elixir has a relaxed tonality, rich timbre, and quite good resolution for a single-DD with somewhat recessed lower treble. Very nice evening type of set.

Initial comparisons between the Elixir and the Serial: the Elixir is not as dynamic sounding as the Penon Serial even though they graph similarly, but the Elixir definitely has better timbre and coherence even though the Serial is no slouch... you just can't beat a well-implemented single driver here, even if all three drivers are the same type. The Serial does have an edge in soundstage and imaging, at least at this point in time with the Elixir (I'm still burn-in agnostic generally speaking). I prefer the fit and comfort of the Elixir in my medium-small ears. All in all, the Serial is probably the better all-rounder, being more dynamic and with slightly less recessed lower treble, but the Elixir hits a certain niche for me (great timbre and relaxed mid-centric sound) better than the Serial does.

Jun 6, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #103 of 138
My 2021 default tips (JVC Spiral Dots) have been roundly defeated by my 2020 default tips (RHA Dual Density) on the Elixir. Treble more sparkly, bass more tactile, stage wider with more defined imaging. Bedtime more dubious.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #104 of 138
Since moving on to using a Qudelix 5k from my old phone jack my Aria's have started to sound quite fatiguing at higher volume levels, do you guys think the Elixir would be an improvement, what I really want is something smoother/warmer sound but not v-shaped, a linear warm sounding iem if such should exist.

edit -

I'd prefer not to use EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #105 of 138
I have not heard the Aria but the Elixir is one of the warmer IEMs with smooth detail.
Since moving on to using a Qudelix 5k from my old phone jack my Aria's have started to sound quite fatiguing at higher volume levels, do you guys think the Elixir would be an improvement, what I really want is something smoother/warmer sound but not v-shaped, a linear warm sound iem if such should exist.

edit -

I'd prefer not to use EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back