pf1.jpg

Impressions to Come.
'Nuff Said.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 38
NICE! Is that Cocobolo?

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 38
Damn! Those are nice!

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 38
Ok first of all anything I say now take with a grain of salt my rig is rather...hypocritical: AC97->PA2v2->PF-1s/HD-497s (no I am not kidding) They will be at the DC meet this weekend where well really see how they perform. And eventually I hope to compare them with Hirsch's stock PS-1s on the ole' SDS-XLR
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
On with the impressions. First thing I noticed (perhaps because I was looking for it) is the decay. Right now I am listening to Isis's spatial soundscape So Did We (Panopticon) and the guitars just sing. The crystaline notes cut through the surrounding distortion like a hot knife through butter and fade to blackness only to be replaced by another. Could be the sparkly highs too
biggrin.gif
Speaking of sparkly highs, I switched over to some GY!BE Yanqui. The highs sound fabulous the bass sounds fabulous extends SO. DAMN. DEEP. Bass is very PS-1ish. It is definately asserting itself. I think there might be a little bit less of it compared to the stocks but I would have to have them side by side to tell. This is perfectly agreeable with me since behind the boom the PS-1s are very nuetral and a little less bass could balance them out. Impact and extension are excellent.
Detail. Well they ain't K1000s but they sure sound like them when compared to the HD-497s. In fact I was astounded to discover that I could understand Mikhail Akerfeldt's inane growling throughout Black Water park. Soundstage is unimpressive but decent enough with the bowls and ample for my choice prog and post metal. I dont know if this means much because:
A. Wow factor is still in effect.
B. My Rig Sucks.
C. HD-497 Sucks. (Comparatively)
Look forward to a real review/comparison with stock PS-1s in the future.
Akathriel.
EDIT:paragraphs

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 38
Those are pretty sweet. Larry does great work indeed. Seeing the cocobolo on those has made me want a stand in that wood.

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel
Grado PF-1s (HF-1s (Numba 18!) with PS-1 drivers (Numba [dunno gotta ask Haj]), woodied in Cocobolo, lambskin headband, and done up in Headphile Black Gold)

P-S-1 ??!! Wow...

Just noticed there was some woody at the end of the rods too
smily_headphones1.gif
Lookin' gorgeous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back