They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Apr 11, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #196 of 367
That's why I want to use the Hugo 2 as the DAC and the HPA-1 as the amp. I want the best out of both my DAC and headphone amp / preamp sections. The fact that I can detach the Hugo 2, go to Starbucks with a laptop is a bonus. And it's cool that the Hugo 2 has a remote. It's also playing to each companies primary strengths.

I can't blame you there if portability is important to you. I'm so excited to get the Hugo 2 in the store and also the Dave... Currently taking pre order at MTME on the Hugo 2 for anyone interested. I believe half down now and then the other half when it can be shipped.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #197 of 367
Currawong,

Have you considered the Pioneer Master 1 as a potential "king"? I ask because I got one and it is quite an improvement over the Sony and Ether I auditioned a while back...............I've been attempting to unseat the HE-6 as my personal king and this is after a few hours of listening it's impressed me as much as I've ever been impressed.

And my HE-6 is now officially sold.  That's how good I feel the Pioneer SE Master 1 is..............too bad it is a "rarity" around here. 

Had both the Sony and the Pioneer at the same time - no contest. 

YMMV, etc..............

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #198 of 367

And my HE-6 is now officially sold.  That's how good I feel the Pioneer SE Master 1 is..............too bad it is a "rarity" around here. 

Had both the Sony and the Pioneer at the same time - no contest. 

YMMV, etc..............

Open versus closed so in some respects hard to really expect the same strengths from the designs. The Z1R will have it's charms that the SE1 won't, but it really will depend on what it is that you are most looking for. I would love to get a SE1, and might still do so down the road a little.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #200 of 367
When considering the MrSpeakers Aeon, what other headphones should I also be looking at? Are there any others that could challenge the sound quality of the Aeon? I realized there is a bunch out there I don't know all that much about like the Audioquest Night Owl, Denon AH-7200, Fostex headphones, what has Audio Technica been up to, ETC. I tend to focus too much on just a few brands. Or is the Aeon really that unique in what its offering at this time? I know it's the only prominent portable closed-back planer magnetic besides the PM-3 or EL-8 / Sine.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #201 of 367
When considering the MrSpeakers Aeon, what other headphones should I also be looking at? Are there any others that could challenge the sound quality of the Aeon? I realized there is a bunch out there I don't know all that much about like the Audioquest Night Owl, Denon AH-7200, Fostex headphones, what has Audio Technica been up to, ETC. I tend to focus too much on just a few brands. Or is the Aeon really that unique in what its offering at this time? I know it's the only prominent portable closed-back planer magnetic besides the PM-3 or EL-8 / Sine.

OPPO PM-3 would be the closest for a closed portable planar magnetic

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #202 of 367

OPPO PM-3 would be the closest for a closed portable planar magnetic

True, I guess I meant even Dynamic possibilities.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #203 of 367
True, I guess I meant even Dynamic possibilities.

So what exactly is your criteria? You want portable, but what does that specifically mean for you - public transit, or packed into a bag for use at work? What sound characteristics are you most after, warm, neutral/reference and do you need to it to be driven by a phone/DAP or are you considering an amp/DAC? Forgive my questions if you already provided this type of information earlier.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #204 of 367
So what exactly is your criteria? You want portable, but what does that specifically mean for you - public transit, or packed into a bag for use at work? What sound characteristics are you most after, warm, neutral/reference and do you need to it to be driven by a phone/DAP or are you considering an amp/DAC? Forgive my questions if you already provided this type of information earlier.

Close-back smaller than Ether Flow C and MDR-Z1R, to use on maybe on subway, Starbucks, backpack for work likely travel mode, and walking around town (don't want noise canceling or Bluetooth), had a PM-3 and it was great but I want more exciting sound this time, had used it with the original Oppo HA-2 amp, Now amp wise I'd use something like a Mojo / Hugo 2 / PHA-2A / WM1A next, but I'd like keep the best qualities of the PM-3 (clarity, fast, tight base, neutral is nice as long as not too rolled off and boring on upper end, bottom I like tight articulate over just boomy bass, I do like slam though or quick deep bass that hits hard, I like airy treble, I like clarity, though warm side is better than analytical coldness at times, so not to much glare on top, so easy to hear for long sessions might be something to look for. I think the only thing stopping me from rebuying the PM-3 was the rolled off top end and that it was just a tad too polite.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #205 of 367
Sony's Z7 is smaller. It just doesn't fold, so it's still a bit bulky. Not sure if it isolates very well though. With the tape mod it becomes a slightly less resolving and less spacious-sounding Z1R.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #206 of 367
Close-back smaller than Ether Flow C and MDR-Z1R, to use on maybe on subway, Starbucks, backpack for work likely travel mode, and walking around town (don't want noise canceling or Bluetooth), had a PM-3 and it was great but I want more exciting sound this time, had used it with the original Oppo HA-2 amp, Now amp wise I'd use something like a Mojo / Hugo 2 / PHA-2A / WM1A next, but I'd like keep the best qualities of the PM-3 (clarity, fast, tight base, neutral is nice as long as not too rolled off and boring on upper end, bottom I like tight articulate over just boomy bass, I do like slam though or quick deep bass that hits hard, I like airy treble, I like clarity, though warm side is better than analytical coldness at times, so not to much glare on top, so easy to hear for long sessions might be something to look for. I think the only thing stopping me from rebuying the PM-3 was the rolled off top end and that it was just a tad too polite.

I've been looking for something like that too.  Choices are limited.  Someone should start making one.  TOTL, sleek looking, awesome SQ, expensive, closed, not intrusive.  I am starting to think closed headphone design has reached near its ceiling, technology wise.  Aeon...I had hopes for but the reviewers say not as resolving as the Ethers, Nightowl the same, can't walk around in public with Z1Rs or Ether C flows... could but don't want to. Don't like iems much but they are getting much much better. They don't mess up your hair either. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #207 of 367
I've been looking for something like that too.  Choices are limited.  Someone should start making one.  TOTL, sleek looking, awesome SQ, expensive, closed, not intrusive.  I am starting to think closed headphone design has reached near its ceiling, technology wise.  Aeon...I had hopes for but the reviewers say not as resolving as the Ethers, Nightowl the same, can't walk around in public with Z1Rs or Ether C flows... could but don't want to. Don't like iems much but they are getting much much better. They don't mess up your hair either. 
The easiest to use on the go that has a very good over all sound is the P7.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #209 of 367
Maybe give Beyer T5p2's a listen if you have the chance. I'm don't have any complaints with them as portables.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #210 of 367
Really!  Is p7 better than p9, sound quality wise?  I need to try them.
I had both. Now still have p7. Soundwise the p7 has a more sub bass focuse while the p9 has a mid bass hump. P7 sounds better on most tracks while p9 sound good on fewer tracks. P7 is lighter and leaks less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back