They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Mar 27, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #121 of 367
I have only used speakers and have little knowledge of headphones.

I am considering purchasing a high quality headphone and running them from my ME24 preamp's power amp outlets.

I have found this thread of great interest as I would probably purchase one of the headphones nominated in the thread.

Would I be wasting money purchasing a Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE1000 V2, Sony MDR-Z1R or MrSpeakers Ether Flow headphones and running them from a preamps power amp outlets.

My preamp has 2 ohms (open loop) output impedance and 10 VRMS output voltage.

Most readers of this thread would not have heard of the Australian ME equipment but Currawong may have.

I would be using the preamp and headphones with a Mirus Pro DAC.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #122 of 367
I'm going to copy across some discussion from Youtube on my Utopia review. Someone wrote what I think is a very good argument. I've included my reply.

Originally posted by Currawong on Youtube

Originally posted by nib95 on Youtube

Having now heard every single one of the headphones highlighted in this video besides the Hifimans, I don't really buy the whole "badly recorded" reasoning. Most music is not actually badly recorded per se, not to the point that those tracks start to sound bad purely because of the recording anyway. If they actually sound bad, it's instead likely that the headphones in question (like the HD800 and Utopia) are skewed towards highs, transparency or clarity, and this is extenuating any glare or harshness that you don't really experience with more neutral or warm sounding headphones, and that isn't really supposed to be present in the first place! Essentially, headphones like the HD800 and Utopia, are actually coloured towards detailing and this exasperates any hotness or rough edges, not because of the recording, but because of the headphones themselves.

I also think reviewers or users such as yourself, have sort of skewed the perception of what 'neutral' actually is. Headphones like the Utopia or HD800 are not neutral
imo. They are very clearly geared towards transparency (the Utopia a touch less so) and not neutrality. They are tuned to be revealing. Even looking at the frequency response charts this much is clear.

I also don't agree that the MDR-Z1R's are necessarily especially coloured. They're only really coloured when compared to these more articulate headphones, but compare them to a premium high end speaker system or live performance, and actually it's headphones like the MDR-Z1R's or LCD4's that end up sounding more honest or accurate. That warmth, that bass impact and presence, that atmosphere, it's all stuff that is present with high end speaker systems or live performances and ironically it's these supposedly "coloured" headphones like the MDR-Z1R's that better represent it.

You're right, and I should probably express it as "music that is less than ideally recorded and mastered". However, if I'm hearing distortion from a piece of music with multiple pairs of headphones, then that recording has issues that prevent it being fully enjoyed from my point of view. Since there is a large amount of music that could be described this way, I see it as a possible explanation for a common argument found online where a person has tried a more expensive pair of headphones (or other gear) and expressed that it doesn't sound better to them than what they already have, or as good as other people have said.

For example, someone just posted a review where they felt the Utopias didn't resolve more than their other headphones and rated them much lower than I did. What I'd like to do is, someday, listen with the exact set-up and music someone has where the person has had a contrasting experience to mine to understand better to what brought them to their conclusions. Their equipment list is not in the least inexpensive, so I can't help wondering, from my own experience, if it doesn't somewhat come from the quality of the recordings they were listening with.

I disagree with your thoughts on "neutral". To me, "neutral" means that they don't emphasise any particular frequency region excessively, even if such a presentation is unrealistic (and somewhat technically impossible with headphones). Sony's Justear "monitor" tuning, for example, is extremely bass-light. I'd agree though that my definition of neutral is not the same as how a live performance sounds, let alone many high-end systems. If I owned a high-end 2-channel system, I'd probably prefer it to sound like the Z1Rs do and, I'd agree, do a better job in that way. I find that I'm much more likely to purely enjoy listening with the Z1Rs than the Utopias if I were to pick a random track out of what I like for the very reasons you argued about the Utopias over-emphasising distortion in the higher frequencies.

I don't think though that you can "tune" a pair of headphones to be revealing. Either they resolve low-level detail, or they do not. To me, the Utopias, on my system, with the best recordings I have, were resolving things that most certainly the other headphones I have here were not, and that not just in frequency ranges that are stronger with them than other headphones.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #123 of 367
nothing new there tbh. you can't agree on the "objective" terms that you are discussing because you are both using them subjectively, and your subjective perspectives differ.

i think that the music i listen to is generally well recorded and mastered. if i we're using my loudspeakers as a reference then the utopia's reproduction of that music would sound more "neutral" and "transparent" than the mdr-z1r to me. however, if i were using loudspeakers that have a warmer and bassier presentation as my reference, then i would probably think that the utopia's reproduction of that music is "skewed towards highs, transparency or clarity" and is somewhat bass lite.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #124 of 367
I think everyone has his/her own idea of "neutrality", based on several factors. music reproduction is a so subjective matter that I honestly cannot imagine an objective definition of "neutrality", it depends on too many extremely subjective factors (for example, conformation of my own ear canal and porches, fr of my ear drum, live music experience, etc..)

I just trust my sensations. if I like the music I hear from an headphones, that's enough. couple of days ago I have tried to use again my HEK v1. same ears as 6 months ago. same gears. same music. I have put them back on their stand after 2 hours. Utopia is way more addictive and push me much more directly into the music. 

if I have the chance (I am one of the "lucky upgrade opportunity" winners, but still haven't received anything from december) I will see if HEK v2 is in the same ballpark or better than Utopia. otherwise I'm done for now, I have listened to almost all the totl, and Utopia is the best fit for me, for how I like to listen to music. waiting to hear Abyss Phi though, could be my next xmas (auto)gift 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #127 of 367
The question got me thinking about the Z1Rs again, which have been my main listening cans while I work out what I want to say in my review. There is something plainly enjoyable about listening with them, especially the bass, which has brought out things on some tracks I didn't realise were there. To some degree, I'm not looking forward to comparing them.

Here are the photos I took in preparation:

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #128 of 367
I recently bought Z1R as my end game(and sold t1 2nd gen.)

I gotta say that both kimber and stock cable are terrible, too dark and the bass is a bit overwhelming.

Just bought a silver/copper hybrid cable for Z1R, and both top/bottom end extension are back! 

The bass is tighter and more punchy, soundstage is wider, and the brightness is just right!

Z1R really need a decent upgrade cable to unchain it's potential.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #129 of 367

I gotta say that both kimber and stock cable are terrible, too dark and the bass is a bit overwhelming.

Just bought a silver/copper hybrid cable for Z1R, and both top/bottom end extension are back! 

The bass is tighter and more punchy, soundstage is wider, and the brightness is just right!

What amp and DAC are you paring with the Z1R?

Edit: btw departing from the T1 second gen to get the Z1R is interesting to me. I love both of these cans (I like the Z1R more personally) but curious as to what difference between the 2 you liked more?

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #130 of 367

which cable ?

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #132 of 367
  i know this is to open a can of worms but...
i just can't see how a reputable audio firm like sony (or hifi man or audeze,
heck anyone selling a $2-3k set of cans), will put a mediocre stock cable on it that
could lessen it's sound sig from what the R&D/marketing/engineers had in mind.

I read it all the time and I don't understand it myself?
People spending $3-4K on a TOTL headphone, and then another $1K+/-  because of an insufficient cable just doesn't make any sense to me.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #133 of 367
What amp and DAC are you paring with the Z1R?

Edit: btw departing from the T1 second gen to get the Z1R is interesting to me. I love both of these cans (I like the Z1R more personally) but curious as to what difference between the 2 you liked more?

Schiit yggy and kevin gilmore dynahi.

What I really like about Z1R is the powerful bass, it's more enjoyable and fun.

As for T1, it perform pretty well in all genre, but it lacks of characteristics(ilke soundstage of HD800, bass of Z1R)

Both HP are great, but Z1R is more fit for my taste :)

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #135 of 367

i know this is to open a can of worms but...
i just can't see how a reputable audio firm like sony (or hifi man or audeze,
heck anyone selling a $2-3k set of cans), will put a mediocre stock cable on it that
could lessen it's sound sig from what the R&D/marketing/engineers had in mind.

I read it all the time and I don't understand it myself?
People spending $3-4K on a TOTL headphone, and then another $1K+/-  because of an insufficient cable just doesn't make any sense to me.

If you think stock cables suffice, and will optimise the performance of your cans, then so be it. I'm sure those free earbuds from Apple must be the best for your DAPs/Phones too eh?

You can probably question the sanity of the guys who will even be silly enough to mod their Ferraris, Ducatis etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back