They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
Mar 19, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #61 of 367
what will be interesting with many of these cans
is the upcoming hugo2 with the 4 different sound filters...Hopefully will provide more matching possibilities with many of these cans.

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #62 of 367

I find it degrades far more gracefully than other cans with less than stellar gear, merely losing detail without losing character.

True, but that's an amazing achievement in itself.  For instance, listening to the HD800 & HEK V2 out of any portable source are not even acceptable sound wise and I have the Sony NW-WM1Z but it is a joyful session out of the Utopia.  Beside the Ether Flow, I also have the Utopia, HEK V2, Z1R, and HD800 currently (not counting my other legendary dynamic kings of course).  I agree with assessment on the HEK V2 entirely....a much nicer phones than the V1. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #64 of 367
  True, but that's an amazing achievement in itself.  For instance, listening to the HD800 & HEK V2 out of any portable source are not even acceptable sound wise and I have the Sony NW-WM1Z but it is a joyful session out of the Utopia.  Beside the Ether Flow, I also have the Utopia, HEK V2, Z1R, and HD800 currently (not counting my other legendary dynamic kings of course).  I agree with assessment on the HEK V2 entirely....a much nicer phones than the V1. 

The Ether Flows are also nice out of portable gear. Super easy to drive and forgiving in my experience.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #65 of 367
Agreed there. One of the reasons I consider them a good "all-rounder". 

Quote:
  Nice thread Currawong.  Keep the impressions coming.  I have the feeling that you are being very objective on your opinions thus far, which is a good thing IMO.  I have recently seen a couple of reviews that seem to lean towards the LCD-4, very biased impressions me thinks.

I don't think we need to make it a battle at all. The time I auditioned the LCD-4 out of an Audeze King was fantastic. I can very much see how people would prefer them. 

You should try the Ether Flows with the new pads. I prefer them over the original. More sound stage and it brings the upper mids down a little. Bass seems to be the same to me.

If you mean the electrostat pads, that is something I might need to sort out doing indeed. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #66 of 367
Nice thread Currawong.  Keep the impressions coming.  I have the feeling that you are being very objective on your opinions thus far, which is a good thing IMO.  I have recently seen a couple of reviews that seem to lean towards the LCD-4, very biased impressions me thinks.

Looking forward to more comments and "GO TEAM UTOPIA" yay .........  :D  

and had the utopia been favoured then they would have been balanced reviews - right team utopia? :wink:

I don't think we need to make it a battle at all. The time I auditioned the LCD-4 out of an Audeze King was fantastic. I can very much see how people would prefer them. 

agreed but it's invariably a competition to establish which is the winner or the best. it's such a guy thing. :wink:

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #67 of 367
if you do not listen to hifiman he1000 v2 attached to the terminals of an integrated amplifier you will have never heard the true sound of this headset. I passed by a Rega Elex-R to a Sugden a21se and the headset is "taken off". It also has attached to the terminals of a Headamp gsx mk2 could not have impact and depth. now it sounds divinely ..

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #68 of 367
  if you do not listen to hifiman he1000 v2 attached to the terminals of an integrated amplifier you will have never heard the true sound of this headset. I passed by a Rega Elex-R to a Sugden a21se and the headset is "taken off". It also has attached to the terminals of a Headamp gsx mk2 could not have impact and depth. now it sounds divinely ..

You can always use the Super Symmetry Dynahi to drive it.  20 watts per channel gotta be plenty.

Mar 21, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #69 of 367
  You can always use the Super Symmetry Dynahi to drive it.  20 watts per channel gotta be plenty.

MAYBE. BUT 'THE PURCHASE AN INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER is DEFINITELY MORE' SIMPLE AND ECONOMIC ..
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #70 of 367
Took a few pictures before sending the Utopias back.  The video will be up shortly, I just have to finish editing it.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #71 of 367
Nice set of pics :)
Thanks for the good work!

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #72 of 367
  Took a few pictures before sending the Utopias back.  The video will be up shortly, I just have to finish editing it.

Isn't Ms Utopia purdy lol 

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #73 of 367
  Isn't Ms Utopia purdy lol 

so you've  sold the sonys (you seemed to have loved those) and moved onto the focals.
i may have missed it but have you posted any impressions on how the 2 differ... and your prefs?
always interesting to read....enjoy, nice pics btw.

for me i'm still indecisive about biting the bullet on the sony z1r..just got into speakers again
and the rig is also from Focal: nearfield monitors.
(Focal Alpha 50s, 

Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch

https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/
Love 'em...such that i'm even considering the more pricey upscale CMS65 series
nothing like live sound in one's apt, too)...but we'll see.....

still interested in those Sony Z1R cans, however...best cans i've ever had are the Senn 650s
so I haven't tasted too much premium fare...but would like to if the price warrants it.
esp when i can get a sweet deal on them.....

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #75 of 367
so you've  sold the sonys (you seemed to have loved those) and moved onto the focals.
i may have missed it but have you posted any impressions on how the 2 differ... and your prefs?
always interesting to read....enjoy, nice pics btw.

for me i'm still indecisive about biting the bullet on the sony z1r..just got into speakers again
and the rig is also from Focal: nearfield monitors.
(Focal Alpha 50s, 

Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch

https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/
Love 'em...such that i'm even considering the more pricey upscale CMS65 series
nothing like live sound in one's apt, too)...but we'll see.....

still interested in those Sony Z1R cans, however...best cans i've ever had are the Senn 650s
so I haven't tasted too much premium fare...but would like to if the price warrants it.
esp when i can get a sweet deal on them.....
Oh no. I have them still. I'm not getting rid of these anytime soon. I love them and I barely have the right equipment to run them. I just really like the Utopia. I slowed down so I didn't miss out on what the Sony's provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back