They might be Kings - High-end Headphone Shootout
May 28, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #256 of 367
Look at my list of cans and read the reviews. I don't want to engage in anything regarding any person. I did not mention a name, didn't I?

I see, I thought you were trying to describe somebody from your language, I did not know your intention was to refrain from using his name. Nonetheless, thank you so much for your info; hope others will chime in, I think this is quite an underrated thread.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #257 of 367
Time for a reboot...

Unlike other high-end cans, these have a warmer, more "consumer friendly" tuning, much like the 99 Classics do. However they are extremely refined, and also deliver some fantastic bass rumble, something other headphones I have here don't quite manage to do.

And, for once, they really look like they are worth $3k!

Meze_Empyrene-D75_8875.jpg

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #259 of 367
Man... EXCITED!

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #260 of 367
No Headphone is worth $3K! It's all over-hyped

Mar 14, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #263 of 367
I often think of it this way. My brother bought brand new from a dealer a pretty well appointed car for about $16K. If you lay those headphones on the hood of the car use that to imagine how on earth, even with scale of economy considered, those little tiny headphones weighing less than a kilo could cost close to a 1/4 the cost of a new car. Once you open up the headphones and look at everything there, despite wonderful design and the like, they are very simple devices with very, very few parts. The R&D costs are likely amortized over a much smaller period of time and yes, the margins are still quite high. That new car had lots of shipping, dealer profits, manufacturer cost/profit, taxes on it. No matter how you slice the cake there are high margins on the upper crust of personal audio. That said, given that many of us live, benefit from and accept a capitalist model don't we have to accept that a company is allowed to make as much money as they want? How much are these headphones worth, absolutely $3000 because something is only worth what people are willing to pay.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #264 of 367
I'm sorry to disagree, but no headphone is worth $3,000. Think of all the other, infinitely more meaningful things one could purchase with their money. Even if money was no object to me and $3,000 was nothing to me, I would at least acknowledge this. For less than $3,000 I could buy a classic car (which I did), or I could book a 2 week vacation travelling from the UK to Los Angeles, I could do big things like that, or purchase other types of consumer electronics that have a much more meaningful purpose.

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #265 of 367
Hello @Currawong
Could you include Audio Technica ADX5000 as well ?
They are invisible in the western hemisphere.
I had purchased mine after putting some serious time A/Bing various flagship.
I love your reviews but people should know about their potential.
Your opinion will really give them the proper recognition they deserve.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #267 of 367
I'm sorry to disagree, but no headphone is worth $3,000. Think of all the other, infinitely more meaningful things one could purchase with their money. Even if money was no object to me and $3,000 was nothing to me, I would at least acknowledge this. For less than $3,000 I could buy a classic car (which I did), or I could book a 2 week vacation travelling from the UK to Los Angeles, I could do big things like that, or purchase other types of consumer electronics that have a much more meaningful purpose.

You’re assuming what you think is meaningful is also what others should accept as meaningful. But you don’t get to do that. What is meaningful to one person can be worthless to another and visa versa. Just like the expression that one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure.

Maybe you’re moved by classic cars. Others are moved by music. If a $3000 pair of headphones presents music in a unique and enjoyable way to that person, then the $3000 price tag is completely justifiable.

I have a small teddy bear that isn’t worth more than $5.00 if I tried to sell it. But it was my son’s first stuffed animal and he loved it dearly. I will keep that teddy bear until the day I die. I wouldn’t sell it for $10,000 dollars.

Meaning isn’t an outside, objective, measurable quality, so you can’t put a price tag or upper limit on it. What is meaningful lives within the heart and therefore has no boundaries.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #268 of 367
You’re assuming what you think is meaningful is also what others should accept as meaningful. But you don’t get to do that. What is meaningful to one person can be worthless to another and visa versa. Just like the expression that one man’s garbage is another man’s treasure.

Maybe you’re moved by classic cars. Others are moved by music. If a $3000 pair of headphones presents music in a unique and enjoyable way to that person, then the $3000 price tag is completely justifiable.

I have a small teddy bear that isn’t worth more than $5.00 if I tried to sell it. But it was my son’s first stuffed animal and he loved it dearly. I will keep that teddy bear until the day I die. I wouldn’t sell it for $10,000 dollars.

Meaning isn’t an outside, objective, measurable quality, so you can’t put a price tag or upper limit on it. What is meaningful lives within the heart and therefore has no boundaries.
wrong post..sorry

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #269 of 367

Finally, someone said something, I wasn't, thank's that you did. You can't say something is too expensive if you are not even directly involved in the creation of such a device. Everything in this world has a price, If you want it you'll pay for it. If you can't afford it, it wasn't meant for you, there are other products in your range.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #270 of 367

Fair enough. But $3,000 for a set of headphones borders on absurdity, in my opinion. It is taking advantage of people's willingness to pay top dollar just for a temporary auditory experience. It is pure greed from the manufacturer. A headphone is simply a listening device, no matter how good it may sound - there's only one thing it can do. It is a temporary, disposable thing (no headphone lasts forever). Whereas a car can get you across a country or a vacation results in a lifetime of great memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back