1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

They might be Kings: Focal Utopia, Sony MDR-Z1R, HiFiMan Susvara, HE1000 V2, MrSpeakers Ether Flow & Meze Empyrean

Discussion in 'Currawong' started by currawong, Mar 6, 2017.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. BunnyNamedCraig

I can't blame you there if portability is important to you. I'm so excited to get the Hugo 2 in the store and also the Dave... Currently taking pre order at MTME on the Hugo 2 for anyone interested. I believe half down now and then the other half when it can be shipped.

2. Oregonian

And my HE-6 is now officially sold.  That's how good I feel the Pioneer SE Master 1 is..............too bad it is a "rarity" around here. 

Had both the Sony and the Pioneer at the same time - no contest. 

YMMV, etc..............

3. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Open versus closed so in some respects hard to really expect the same strengths from the designs. The Z1R will have it's charms that the SE1 won't, but it really will depend on what it is that you are most looking for. I would love to get a SE1, and might still do so down the road a little.

canali likes this.
  4. Bloos
    SE Master 1: caution major 6 kHz treble spike.

5. Neo Zuko
    When considering the MrSpeakers Aeon, what other headphones should I also be looking at? Are there any others that could challenge the sound quality of the Aeon? I realized there is a bunch out there I don't know all that much about like the Audioquest Night Owl, Denon AH-7200, Fostex headphones, what has Audio Technica been up to, ETC. I tend to focus too much on just a few brands. Or is the Aeon really that unique in what its offering at this time? I know it's the only prominent portable closed-back planer magnetic besides the PM-3 or EL-8 / Sine.

6. Bloos

OPPO PM-3 would be the closest for a closed portable planar magnetic

7. Neo Zuko

True, I guess I meant even Dynamic possibilities.

8. Sonic Defender Contributor
    So what exactly is your criteria? You want portable, but what does that specifically mean for you - public transit, or packed into a bag for use at work? What sound characteristics are you most after, warm, neutral/reference and do you need to it to be driven by a phone/DAP or are you considering an amp/DAC? Forgive my questions if you already provided this type of information earlier.

9. Neo Zuko

Close-back smaller than Ether Flow C and MDR-Z1R, to use on maybe on subway, Starbucks, backpack for work likely travel mode, and walking around town (don't want noise canceling or Bluetooth), had a PM-3 and it was great but I want more exciting sound this time, had used it with the original Oppo HA-2 amp, Now amp wise I'd use something like a Mojo / Hugo 2 / PHA-2A / WM1A next, but I'd like keep the best qualities of the PM-3 (clarity, fast, tight base, neutral is nice as long as not too rolled off and boring on upper end, bottom I like tight articulate over just boomy bass, I do like slam though or quick deep bass that hits hard, I like airy treble, I like clarity, though warm side is better than analytical coldness at times, so not to much glare on top, so easy to hear for long sessions might be something to look for. I think the only thing stopping me from rebuying the PM-3 was the rolled off top end and that it was just a tad too polite.

10. Currawong Contributor
    Sony's Z7 is smaller. It just doesn't fold, so it's still a bit bulky. Not sure if it isolates very well though. With the tape mod it becomes a slightly less resolving and less spacious-sounding Z1R.

11. jscmd2000
    I've been looking for something like that too.  Choices are limited.  Someone should start making one.  TOTL, sleek looking, awesome SQ, expensive, closed, not intrusive.  I am starting to think closed headphone design has reached near its ceiling, technology wise.  Aeon...I had hopes for but the reviewers say not as resolving as the Ethers, Nightowl the same, can't walk around in public with Z1Rs or Ether C flows... could but don't want to. Don't like iems much but they are getting much much better. They don't mess up your hair either. 

12. jmills8
    The easiest to use on the go that has a very good over all sound is the P7.

13. jscmd2000
    Really!  Is p7 better than p9, sound quality wise?  I need to try them.

14. BillOhio
    Maybe give Beyer T5p2's a listen if you have the chance. I'm don't have any complaints with them as portables.

15. jmills8
    I had both. Now still have p7. Soundwise the p7 has a more sub bass focuse while the p9 has a mid bass hump. P7 sounds better on most tracks while p9 sound good on fewer tracks. P7 is lighter and leaks less.

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last