They are for Re0l ! (Re-0 review) (vs Shure SE530, Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi, Etymotic ER4P/S, Klipsch S4)
Jan 26, 2011 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

unagimiyagi

New Head-Fier
Time owned: 15 minutes

Let's start in reverse order.

Conclusion:  (with disbelief) This was $79?  US dollars?  Seventy-Nine?

I adore the Re-0.  On pure sound quality alone, it is completely on par with any IEM that I have ever owned, if not better.  I think that, overall, it's better than all of the IEMs listed in the title:  Shure SE530, UE Triple Fi's, Etymotic ER4P/S, Klipsch S4.  When you factor in the price, it makes the Re-0 the best value out there in IEMs.  I've not heard anything that comes close.  These are $250 IEMs, easily.

The if you like game:

Re-0 sounds closest to the Etymotic ER-4S, second closest to the UE Triple-Fi, third closest to the Shure SE530, and are extremely different than the Klipsch S4.  They are in between the Etymotic and the Triple-Fi in terms of sound signature.  If you like the Ety ER 4P/S or the UE Triple-Fi, check out the Re-0s.

Word association:  BALANCED, DETAILED, deep tight bass, crisp, precise, accurate without being analytical, fast, enough liquidity, wide soundstage, bright, will be able to handle any genre.

Longer word association:  Everything in the recording is there.  It's just right.  You like treble, it's there.  You like mids, it's there. You want bass, it's there.  OK, that was not helpful.

Bashing the other IEMS:

Shure SE530--very great midrange, super liquid, tight, deep bass.  Good job.  It seemed not to have as large of a sound stage and while being extremely musical and fun, it did not seem to be as detailed as I like.  

Etymotic ER-4P--Re-0's older 1st cousin you got compared to, but has now been surpassed.  There is nothing that Re-0 does worse than the Ety.  Re-0 fits better as well and has less microphonics than that Ety cable.  

Triple-Fi:  these never fit in my ears, period.  But when they did, they were sparkly and had a very wide soundstage.  Re-0 are not inferior to these, but are 1/2 to 1/4 of the price.  

S4:  I hated you except for the comfort.  You had a huge bass hump, and it was booming without any control.  It overwhelmed everything.  Your mids were recessed, and you had treble but your balance was just all off.  I burned you for a week, and maybe things got a bit better, but if it's not working, it's not going to work.  After tax, these are the exact same price as the Re-0.  I can not imagine S4 lovers loving Re-0 and Re-0 lovers loving the S4.  I absolutely do not get what the hype was about regarding the S4.

Comfort:  I can wear the Re-0, and not only that, they can be inserted quickly.  Ety, I could never insert you quickly.  S4 and Shure SE530s were still the most comfortable, though.  The Triple-Fi for the life of me would not fit in my small ears.

Volume:  

I like the highish impedence b/c I listen at extremely low volumes, b/c afterwards my ears get sensitive and even the lowest volume on the Shures was too loud.  With the Re-0, I don't need to use a volume reducer.

Build quality:  As good as the competitors.  Not better, not worse.  Generally I worry about Chinese products being cheap, but in this case, you're getting better build quality than you'd think.

Microphonics:

Much Less than the Ety, not an issue with the shirt clip.
More than the S4.

Only other IEM to try now is the CK-10.

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi and welcome

Yeah I kind of miss my RE0s. The only IEMs I've tried that deliver an honest reproduction of the music (except in the low end region due to the the rolled-off and lean-sounding bass, though the extension is excellent for a single driver).

I gave the q-JAYS a try lately, in no way can they compete with the RE0s in terms of accuracy. The former has several relative noticeable peaks in the treble that ruin the timbre and make everything (voices, instruments, imaging, mood,..) sound wrong. Of course that brings out the details, which can be helpful for a set of IEMs in a noisy environment, but the trade-off is massive in my book and guys at JAYS shouldn't say "Neutral, transparent sound" for this harsh-sounding product.

Oh and don't expect more deep bass from the q-JAYS, kick drums just have NO resonance. Yes there is a serious roll-off and extension is better on the RE0 (e.g. Jesse Cook - Beloved), w/ sony hybrids at least. It's all the more disappointing because the meat of the bass on the q-JAYS is very good, bass lines have some weight and body here that are frustratingly lacking on the RE0. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I do not understand how you can say that the RE-0 has some similarities with the SE530, because they have completely different sound signatures... The comparison with the ER4P/S is fair, however, its a kind or personal preference, wich I dont share.

I also have a RE-0, and it lacks a more elegant delivery of the detailing. This comes as a DBA-02 in this aspect, but their sound signature is very directed to the clarity and detail, lacking any body or soul.

I never managed to make this phone play well in my setup and I guess, definitely, I am a person of balanced armatures...
redface.gif

Cheers,

Peter

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 8
At $79, RE0 is indeed a huge steal. The only IEM I've heard so far that I can say sounds better than RE0 is actually the Shure SE530, but only when properly fitted - the Shures are incredibly sensitive about how you place them in your ears. Every other IEM I've tried, including custom Westone ES3X are not better than RE0 overall to my ears.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 8
It's been a while since I had the RE0, but I don't remember ever being able to coax any bass impact from it -- extension was great, but I could never feel anything.  I honestly think I get more from my HF5 (BA driver) than I did from dynamic RE0.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Nicely written review, you've made me look at the RE0 again!

I apologise if this is an improper place to ask such a question however it felt an appropriate place to ask about RE0 topics. I have found two sources in the UK for the RE0 (here and here) but feel unsure of whether they are genuine because the prices are reasonable. What are your feelings on them?

Due to the way I've worked things or poorly planned things, I have a set of T400 Comply tips. Do these fit the RE0? I can't seem to find the RE0 on the Comply site to check. Thanks for any responses.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I agree that the RE0 is definitely for real.  I can't believe I waited as long into my IEM journey to try these.  They are fresh out of their box today and burning-in in my ears.  They are quite possibly the most revealing IEM I've heard across the entire soundscape.  While they are definitely tip/fit dependent, once you find the right tip/fit/seal, they are quite amazing.  While they sound great out of my Rockboxed Clip+ w/flac files, they are that much better out of my D4.  The bass steps up and I don't find them as bass light as I've read around here.  One look at my signature or profile will show that I love my bass and I've armed myself with some of the bassier IEM's available.  While they lack the impact of the VB and many of the other IEM's I've owned, I haven't felt the need to reach for EQ.  Whether it's the natural decay of a dynamic or the fact that these extend quite deep, I don't find them as bass light as I feared.  They are a great change of pace from the "dark side" and I'm really enjoying them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back