Thesis about lossless audio vs lossy audio
Jan 31, 2018 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

msgrain

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

So, I'm a new guy on head-fi though, I've been silent reading since 2 years ago. As you guys know, I'm not an expert But, today I need your help.
I've an assignment about making some thesis about anything that I want. The topic is about lossless audio vs lossy audio. Can anyone help me about making some thesis about the benefit of having lossless audio rather than lossy audio?

Ok thats all guys, Thanks a lot :)

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm guessing that you know what the technical differences are between lossy and lossless audio files and the reasons to choose one over the other....

Currawong has a neat little article here on the subject.

What else do you need to know here? Just running through the differences won't really get you to a thesis....

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Anything related to lossless vs lossy can help! Maybe you have some advice ?

It's much easier to write a thesis on how lossy is better than lossless to be honest. There's a lot of data on how lossy works and how its beneficial, etc. There is honestly no real use case for an average consumer to use a lossless format anymore. Google is your friend for data.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 8
It's much easier to write a thesis on how lossy is better than lossless to be honest. There's a lot of data on how lossy works and how its beneficial, etc. There is honestly no real use case for an average consumer to use a lossless format anymore. Google is your friend for data.

This. No engineer, programmer or blind-tested human would say that lossless is better than lossy. Vbr will fill in data where needed and adult humans can't hear above 20kHz so lossless is pure ignorance, vanity and wasted hard drive space.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Still can't fathom how can you write 50+ page thesis on lossy vs lossless topic. Anyways, you can always generate your spectrum graph of 128 vs 160 vs 320 CBR then switch to VBR and compare the spectrum to FLAC. Then you can also add the mathematical filters that DACs use to oversample 16/44.1 or add some notes about non oversampling DACs, but you might be digressing on your main topic if you include those materials.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 8
No engineer, programmer or blind-tested human would say that lossless is better than lossy.

You'd be surprised...

Still can't fathom how can you write 50+ page thesis on lossy vs lossless topic.

I highly doubt this is for university. If it was, OP would need a thesis proposal and I highly doubt his professor would let the student write about anything they want. Also, his statement obviously shows he doesn't know much about audio.
As you guys know, I'm not an expert

It's probably a high school essay project or something.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #8 of 8
That was not to knock very high quality lossy files, there have been a few tests* done and reported on in the audio science forum (progrockman is compiling them i think). One result I remember is a flac and ~320kbps files recoded as a flac, and audiophiles with higher end equipment chose the lossy file more as the superior file than people with lesser equipment, probably due to the links between high-end gear, piles of money money, advanced age and deteriorated hearing. With certain very high quality recordings (Money Jungle) in certain passages I could distinguish between 256kbps and 320kbps a liiitle more than random with a friend* switching the files for me. Beyond that it's most probably bust. There are also other factors such as humans don't hear multiple sources of the same frequency, more their sum, which is a principle used by mp3 encoding that allows a lot of compression without audible loss. Fascinating topic, link us your paper when done :)

*I won't say the b word or this will have to move to the science forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back