these grammar is for sure sucks nowaday bigtime. u agre?
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Posts
2,935
Likes
101
Location
London, UK
I won't go pointing any fingers, but is it just me or has the average person's ability to form grammatical phrases gone swiftly and quietly down the porcelain hole? I can't even begin to come up with a reasonable explanation for some of the errors I've seen.

I've noticed this in the past months... it has probably always been there, but I've just noticed it recently....

Sad days.
frown.gif
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 100

klamP

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 30, 2007
Posts
129
Likes
10
Ya i is agreeing with you, you and me is agreeing yes?


On a serious note, i know. I think it's part of e-culture though, to always try and make things as fast as possible. I sometimes miss a capital 'I' when referring to myself, habits are not good. D:

However, a bit of effort by Head-fiers to make sure their posts are as legible (sp?) as possible would go a long way.
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 100

myinitialsaredac

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Posts
1,337
Likes
12
That's why I have the Mozilla Firefox spell check plug in. It is quite awesome. Try walking around a high school though, the average person has issues with four syllable words, let alone using them correctly in sentences.
Cheers,
Dave
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 100

bce22

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Posts
276
Likes
21
Don't forget that not everyone on these forums are native English speakers. For numerous individuals English is their 2nd or 3rd or 4th language... You get the picture.

It may not just be laziness. Just something to consider.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 100

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Posts
2,935
Likes
101
Location
London, UK
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or has peoples ability to select the appropriate section of the forums to vent such frustrations also deteriorated
tongue.gif



Yeah, I was wondering if somebody would catch that!
biggrin.gif


It seems that I've seen it around here more than other forums, though... or maybe I just spend too much time in this one.
wink_face.gif
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 100

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Posts
2,935
Likes
101
Location
London, UK
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget that not everyone on these forums are native English speakers. For numerous individuals English is their 2nd or 3rd or 4th language... You get the picture.

It may not just be laziness. Just something to consider.



Good point. That's acceptable.

For the others, though...
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 100

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 13, 2007
Posts
2,158
Likes
11
English are not mine naturel language, but i talk grate, and write fluids.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 100

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Posts
9,205
Likes
136
meez not english first languajjee... but I'm exaggerating hehehe feel free to correct my english anytime so that I can learn to write better.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #11 of 100

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 14, 2007
Posts
1,592
Likes
14
I don't mind unintentional grammar errors, but when people (there isn't luckily many here, but on other forums) use those completely unnecessary* abbreviations such as 'u' as you or 'y' as why, it makes me boiling.

* for your info: there is no character limit on the posts in Head-fi.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 100

subtle

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Posts
2,094
Likes
102
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't go pointing any fingers, but is it just me or has the average person's ability to form grammatical phrases gone swiftly and quietly down the porcelain hole? I can't even begin to come up with a reasonable explanation for some of the errors I've seen.

I've noticed this in the past months... it has probably always been there, but I've just noticed it recently....

Sad days.
frown.gif



I have an explanation. I chalk it up to plain apathy and how it seems as though the 21 and under age group finds it trendy to pretend to be more ignorant than they really are. I really don't understand it. I see it all the time on tv and in the movies and especially out and about at restaurants and coffee shops. Look at the show "Gossip Girl" for instince. Horrible. To think that teenagers are watching that crap and actually believing that people are supposed to treat and speak to others like that is just appalling.

The base level of conversation between people has degraded incredibly. I hear/see people asking questions they already know the answer to all the time, simply for the sake of generating a mundane base level of conversation. It's really depressing. It's almost as though there is now a stigma that to be intellectual is trying to "better" than someone else, instead of seeing it as self improvement and awareness.

How did it become trendy to be lazy, apathetic, and stupid? I will never know.
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 100

jpstereo

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 16, 2006
Posts
934
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an explanation. I chalk it up to plain apathy and how it seems as though the 21 and under age group finds it trendy to pretend to be more ignorant than they really are. I really don't understand it. I see it all the time on tv and in the movies and especially out and about at restaurants and coffee shops. Look at the show "Gossip Girl" for instince. Horrible. To think that teenagers are watching that crap and actually believing that people are supposed to treat and speak to others like that is just appalling.

The base level of conversation between people has degraded incredibly. I hear/see people asking questions they already know the answer to all the time, simply for the sake of generating a mundane base level of conversation. It's really depressing. It's almost as though there is now a stigma that to be intellectual is trying to "better" than someone else, instead of seeing it as self improvement and awareness.

How did it become trendy to be lazy, apathetic, and stupid? I will never know.




That's why I wear headphones on the train ride to and from work each and every day - that way I do not have to listen to any unintelligible conversations. It is truly remarkable and very sad all at once!
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 100

klamP

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 30, 2007
Posts
129
Likes
10
I'm only 17 guys, and i know Fraser is around my age, there are exceptions to the rule. (My grammar isn't the best, but I try.
smily_headphones1.gif
)
wink.gif


I'd consider Head-fi's members to be quite intelligent as it were anyway, as opposed to some forums. I guess we're lucky to lack an excess of immaturity
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 100

coco

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Posts
236
Likes
0
I understand that most of discussion on the web is like standing around with a group of friends in grade 9, no one is too concerned with grammar. That said, one thing that annoys me is that many people seem not to know the difference between "than" and "then" and I am not talking about those whose English is a second language. Is schooling really at a point where this is not taught? "I like Grado much more then Senn" Yikes.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top