There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 28, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #4,396 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to be about that time again, don't it?
tongue.gif

Indeed indeed my friend! US is blowing me away with their fingerlickin' meets haha!

Do you still use your prolines now that you have the ed9 btw??

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #4,398 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's just wait for my Wooaudio6 to get here and I am good to go.
wink.gif

Looking good! So you're heading for the tubyway hah
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #4,399 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking good! So you're heading for the tubyway hah
smily_headphones1.gif

Yah, the source isn't tubey though. It's a Stello DA100 which I've got on my desk right now with nothing to connect it to but my Porta Corda and some $150 speakers.

I hate waiting.
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #4,400 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, the source isn't tubey though. It's a Stello DA100 which I've got on my desk right now with nothing to connect it to but my Porta Corda and some $150 speakers.

I hate waiting.
frown.gif

Waiting is shoiting indeed! Btw, did you have that Stello back at our meet??
Read some stuff about it lately and sounds promising.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #4,401 of 5,942
...talking about tubes, I just built myself a Millet Hybrid Max designed around the characteristics of my 750s.. best I've ever heard it!
smily_headphones1.gif
it's still young though, so more later...

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #4,402 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waiting is shoiting indeed! Btw, did you have that Stello back at our meet??
Read some stuff about it lately and sounds promising.

Nope, I just had the Porta Corda back then.

It does sound promising. I just can't wait to connect it too a Wooaudio.

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #4,403 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...talking about tubes, I just built myself a Millet Hybrid Max designed around the characteristics of my 750s.. best I've ever heard it!
smily_headphones1.gif

PICS PICS PICS!!

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #4,404 of 5,942
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

PICS PICS PICS!!

And specs!

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #4,406 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PICS PICS PICS!!

And specs!

for us
750prolinebx3.png

f_headmaxm_53eca3e.jpg

And a combined image of the back and front:
f_combined2m_33938b8.jpg

as for the specs, well.. GE 12FK6 tubes (gain=~7). BG NX bypassed with sonicap gen II's (1000u/0.22u@'in' and 680u/0.22u@out). using generic BD139/140 bjts for the diamond buffer out but I got some better ones on the way (2238/3422/3421/2344 and pairs), so.. its just going to get better
biggrin.gif

I got the gen II's for their 'mid bloom' and slight roll off at the top end, which compliment the 750's well and with the NX's, detail and clarity is incredible with the tubes warmth.. its only got 20hrs on it, and I still need to change the bjt's.. I also haven't listened to too many amps for comparison, nor any other alternatively fitted MAX but I really enjoy the warmth and detail these bits give. very comfortable, pleasurable and lively to listen to.. I don't really want to use anything else I got
tongue.gif

EDIT: lol@graph. mine aren't actually that bright.. just exposure.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #4,407 of 5,942
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Better than your m3? that is good. I think it is the great detail of the Proline phones which takes to the tube sound so well for some of us. Now listening to my UE9 out of my microZOTL.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #4,408 of 5,942
well, when I listen to my M^3, I love it. when I listen to the MAX, I do too. I haven't done much A/B'ing but the MAX more alive and musical, whilst the M^3 seems more controlled.. maybe more neutral. but I also didn't do custom part selection based on the desired characteristics like I did with the MAX, which is also why I like the MAX so much.. I don't listen with any EQ, I get a little more mid, and the highs are less fatiguing whilst the bass is just right. maybe I'll upgrade my M^3 caps sometime
icon10.gif

oh.. and the new me <----
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #4,409 of 5,942
Quote:

well, when I listen to my M^3, I love it. when I listen to the MAX, I do too. I haven't done much A/B'ing but the MAX more alive and musical, whilst the M^3 seems more controlled.. maybe more neutral. but I also didn't do custom part selection based on the desired characteristics like I did with the MAX, which is also why I like the MAX so much.. I don't listen with any EQ, I get a little more mid, and the highs are less fatiguing whilst the bass is just right. maybe I'll upgrade my M^3 caps sometime
icon10.gif

oh.. and the new me <----
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I compared my HA5000 with a max M3 at a meet about 18 months ago and the M3 was very competitive. The HA5000 maybe was not completely burn-in at the time, it is hard to say but those huge caps needs many hours to fix. Today it may be a different story. I sure have enjoyed listening to it while I have had it. I am planning on doing a comparison between three amps when I get my third one in using the UE9. This was using the ATH-W5000 as the headphone at the time.

By the way, that is some great work on that Millet.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #4,410 of 5,942
Thanks. I've yet to gain more understanding of it all though.. also, my build wasnt flawless. I'd powered up with a transistor biased to its max and burnt it.. from rolling transistors, I kinda messed up a solder pad. fortunatly its the center ground one
smily_headphones1.gif
otherwise, I was kinda pedantic about short snips and smooth rounded solder joints (a few classes spent on point charge accumulation did that to me..). I find the case work will be quiet a challenge too.. I don't think I can pull off too much in that area yet. I'm also thinking of throwing in an integrated alien dac before I close it all up.. all in all, building is fun fun
biggrin.gif
its def. made me appreciate the headphones more, and in turn the music... after all, I got here cause I had to point that solder iron somewhere.. and it started with a cmoy
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back