There's a lot to be said for any DAP you can upgrade!
Jun 28, 2005 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wolfen68

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm pumped....

My Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 of 3.5 years just "died" the other day. For $65, I bought a replacement 2.5" 40 gig drive (Toshiba), plopped it in, and my Archos runs like a new unit
smily_headphones1.gif

We DAP users should demand that their purchased players are easily serviceable (harddrives and batteries).....why should we settle for less?

I just had to share...to celebrate a second life for an old "friend".

P.S. Maybe someday I'll get to drop a 60 gig into my ihp-140 (hopefully a long time from now).

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 7
So the Archos didn't have any problem recognizing a 40gig partition?

Jun 28, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 7
It would be nice if all devices allowed upgrades like that but it seems like the majority of consumers don't care and are willing to just buy a new device. My guess is that most don't even wait for the current unit to die but upgrade when something catches their attention. If most buyers see the devices as disposable then manufacturers probably have very little motivation to make units upgradeable. If the money is in the new sales, then that's probably where they will go. Too bad really since I like to upgrade things as much as possible.

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 7
I could say the same for the NJB3. Mine is up to 100Gb at the moment. Or the iPod... well sort of. I put in a standard 40Gb 1.8" drive and it works via USB (but alas, not via Firewire).

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by t10
You should lug a desktop computer around with you. Those are soo upgradable, and expandable. Don't even get me started on extra features!

yes, but that spool of CAT5 gets bulky

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
So the Archos didn't have any problem recognizing a 40gig partition?

Nope. I've heard of people putting in 80-100 gig drives...but there was no point for me to spend that kind of money.....but it would have been cool.

The Jukebox does have a folder or file limit (can't remember which...maybe 10000 files?) and that is the only known limiting factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back