There you go, 10 years of your life is suddenly nothing but memories...
Jun 18, 2002 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Man I feel like ****!!
frown.gif

I've just been to the very last dinner with all my classmates/teachers/parents... These emotions are killing me... I loved these persons and our unity so much - we have been through so much together.. And I'm not just talking about the usual stuff... over the last 5 years, 1 classmate and 5 parents have died.

We all have an incredible bond and I love them.. But who will I see again?? Perhaps half of them?? Of course I'll move on, but man I never thought it would be this tough...

frown.gif

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken

We all have an incredible bond and I love them.. But who will I see again?? Perhaps half of them?? Of course I'll move on, but man I never thought it would be this tough...
frown.gif

It is you that must take the initiative to keep the bonds close if that is what you want. Aside from distance, apathy is the greatest reason we loose touch with people. There is really no reason to loose touch with all the electronic communication available.

Vow now to stay connected to them. I let my job and distance separate me from my friends. I look back now that war, disease, accidents and other maladys have claimed many and regret not staying closer. I can only look at myself. Even though it has been a long time since I have seen many of them I think I will make an effort to reestablish contact.

Jun 18, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm a believer in the old addage: "you can never go home again". When you do, you'll find it's not the place you left.

When I was growing up, my family moved around a lot. I had to adapt to new environments, and make new friends all over the place. It's very hard to maintain the old relationships-- you change, they change, and you each have different experiences not in common anymore. The things that held you together just aren't there anymore.

That's the sad truth about modern life-- no one grows up in one place around the same people anymore. Life is a series of displacements and dislocations. You change schools, jobs, relationships, home towns dozens of times throughout your life. It's sad, it sucks and it's painful, but that's how it is.

All I can say is your best bet bet is to learn to love yourself because it's just you and you alone until the end. Respect your parents and your siblings and treat them well-- they're the only ones you can count on.

Maybe not exactly what you needfed to hear right now, but that's how it is from my perspective.

markl

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I'm a believer in the old addage: "you can never go home again". When you do, you'll find it's not the place you left.
markl

I agree with alot of what you said. I grew up on an island in the Pacific Northwest and had most of the same friends from first grade through high school. It is hard to spend that long with the same group of people and not develop long term bonds. Many have drifted or been taken away but there are those that I still remain close to.

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 12
Life consists of memories of yesterday and the breath you are taking now.

Remember you are always only one breath away from death. All you can be certain of is what you have right now and what you had in moment's past. It's hard not being able to recapture the past but it's necessarry to move on into the next whatever that might be.

Certainly you MUST be glad to rid yourself of some of these people (like whomever introduced you to alcohol
very_evil_smiley.gif
). :wink:

Remember there is this new invention called the telephone and it works two ways. I bet that Koss makes some prety-decent headsets for the money too!

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Old friends are hard to replace.

I've managed to re-connect with several of my old high school and even public school buddies thanks to www.classmates.com .

Some of them I hadn't had contact with for more than 30 years !! Now, after catching up on our respective "lives", we are regularly sharing e-mail jokes.

It's incredible how quickly you fall into a familiar "comfort zone" when speaking to people you have a history with. Even a distant history. As if hardly any time had passed at all since you hung out together.

You have to make an effort to stay in touch however. You'll find the years go by quicker than you can imagine and it's easy to put off contacting that old friend until some other time. Before you know it, years or even decades have passed and you've lost contact...or worse...they've passed away.

Make the effort to stay in touch. It's worth it.

Jun 19, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 12
wow, thanks alot!!

I knew I would get some very nice replies from you people, everybody is so incredibly wise at head-fi!! Well, again thanks alot, I almost feel on top again..

And to believe my parents were much worse at understanding why I was so blue yesterday... My mom kept appologizing all night for folding my graduation document, when all I wanted was to be left alone!!!

You guys rock, I'll be sure to check with you, next time I need advice on life.

- Kristian

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 12
john_jcb is 100% right. Do make plans to keep in touch, then follow through with them.
It is hard to leave a group of people that you are close to. Allow yourself some time to feel sad about. Then get on with whatever is next in your life.
[size=small]CONGRATULATIONS[/size] on your graduation
cool.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
Are they college Friends of High School Friends?

Actually they are my elementary school friends.. but that doesn't matter, they are great persons.

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Old friends are hard to replace.

I've managed to re-connect with several of my old high school and even public school buddies thanks to www.classmates.com

Thanks! I saw a list just signed up, saw a list of people I knew, only to discover I have to pay $36 US "subscription" to contact a former classmate? WTH is up with that?
mad.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Thanks! I saw a list just signed up, saw a list of people I knew, only to discover I have to pay $36 US "subscription" to contact a former classmate? WTH is up with that?

Like the old saying goes..."There's no such thing as a free lunch" You have to decide whether it's worth $36 to contact and old friend(s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back