Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by expatinjapan, Sep 9, 2016.
First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
Page 62 of 71
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
Next

Last
  1. DidouPower
    HI guys,
    I am proud owner of opus#2 for 1 month now and i've really enjoyed the improvements with my current headphones (fostex tr80) but i would really like to invest in some high end open headphones that could be driven directly from opus#2 using a balanced cable.

I tried a lot of IEMs as @SilverEars suggested you get the best out of a DAP using IEMs but i really couldn't enjoy the improvements of 700$+ IEMs compared to my current setup. I tried earsonics SEM9 and senn IE800 and IE800s (which i returned recently) ; i couldn't get my hands on stuff like campfire audio or other brands but i doubt the sound will fit me.

So i'm a bit abandonning the idea of having high end IEMs for when i'm outside and i'd rather invest in some good open headphones for home. I tried the HD800 with a 6.5mm-->3.5mm adaptater directly into my opus#2 and enjoyed the details, the space and seperation of instruments. Do you guys have any ideas of headphones i should try ?

Oscar-HiFi likes this.
  2. lithrai
    Don't know how much you plan to invest to new headphones but I would recommend you Focal Clear.

Tennessee likes this.
  3. Oscar-HiFi
    Try some Grados :D work very well out of the Opus #2

4. LCMusicLover
    I've been very happy with my Opus#2 driving my Ether Flows & HEKv2s. HE-560s are also well-done with Opus, but not getting much head time since I picked up those two. Ether Flow seems to be leading the competition (with HEK), but it's actually very close.

I'm not as happy with the Utopia out of the Opus. I mean it's a great headphone, and easy to drive, but the Opus is a little on the bright side, and the pairing with the Utopia can be a bit much. My memory says the Utopia was easier to enjoy from my Plenue 2, but it's in Korea (either having a sloppy jack repaired or getting good seats for the Olympics Opening Ceremonies) so I can't A/B them. I actually like my Utopia better out of my Opus#1 Metal.

I actually thought my Monolith m1060s sounded quite nice with the Opus until I gifted them at Christmas.

Ether Flows are really nice from the Opus. I imagine the Aeon Flow would be very good with the Opus#2 as well, but haven't had a chance to listen to that pairing.

I briefly auditioned Nightowl and PS1000e with my Opus#2 at an audio store. Not a great environment, and not much time, but both pairings sounded promising/worth investigating.

In a few weeks I will be able to report on the Auteur/Opus#2 pairing, assuming the Auteurs get out of 'Assembly', jump into a box, and show up on my doorstep :L3000:

BTW, I listen to all of these via the 2.5mm balanced output. Also, I'm 62yo, so my ears are the least resolving component in any audio system I report on. So take all this with several grains of salt.

5. SilverEars
    All the DAPs I've tried, I don't find full sized gets driven to potential out of them. I'd recommend a desktop setup. I recommend #2 for those looking to drive BA.

#2 can sound mids recessed depending on full sized as there are DAPs pushes the mids more. A DAP I find drives full sized at a good level(although can be better) is Lotoo PAW Gold. Utopia is easier to drive than HEK. and would recommend driving HEK on a desktop setup.

Your impressions of full-sized can have a gap between from a DAP to a proper desktop setup.

Clear maybe your sig if you find you hear too much treble with some cans. It sounds balanced in tonality without sounding mid recessed or dark. It sounds clean as it's highly damped sounding. It's a can to recommend for those looking for cans that works for wide spectrum of genre of music.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. LCMusicLover
    I would have said 'Utopia is waaayyyy easier to drive than HEK'.

As far as 'a proper desktop setup' vs DAP, I agree that the DAP can leave some of the quality of TOTL cans behind. But I would also say that the gap between my Sonica/v280 desktop rig and the Opus#2 is smaller than one might expect ... to my ears. When listening to the Opus==>HEK/Ether Flow rig, I'm generally sitting around, watching sports with the sound off, or reading. Not listening intently for the last nth of detail/resolution/tonality. And, as an old guy, I'm careful not to listen at high volume -- trying to preserve what's left of my hearing :darthsmile:

7. SilverEars
    Sure, there is a bit of significance in how much more it takes to drive the HEK compared to Utopia, but nothing gets to the level of HE-6. HEK shouldn't take an hefty amp though. HE-6 people drive out of speaker taps.

8. SilverEars
    I've tried M1060 out of Questyle CMA600i. It's easy to drive as mojo outputs punchy sound, but out of CMA600i, it's a different beast. I liked it very much that I call it a good setup, but price ratio of headphone to amp maybe considered too much or rediculous for folks that have beliefs that headphones has the greatest weight when it comes to sound.

Aeons are easy to drive, and sound a bit narrow and a bit low end shy for a planar and lacking some warmth or mids definiton.

9. bluesyfluesy
    [​IMG]

i joined opus#2 family!! :)

10. Dobrescu George
    Amazing choice of DAP, Music, and amazing IEM looks!:heart_eyes: Love to you!

bluesyfluesy likes this.
  11. SilverEars
    That's a snazzy looking cover art.
    I can't say I have seen anything like that and looks really different with a clear shell. It almost looks like even the cover is clear with art embedded. What iem is that?

Any impressions and/or comparisons to other stuff you've listened to?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    bluesyfluesy likes this.
  12. subguy812
    You did an excellent job designing that shell....

bluesyfluesy likes this.
  13. bluesyfluesy
    thank you!!

hi, yes, the artwork is behind the clear faceplate. it is the Hidition NT-6 Pro iem.

i only compared Opus#2 to Onkyo DP-X1 and Astell&Kern AK320.

i think it is embarrassing to say that the most expensive player (MSRP) actually sound the worst...
    AK320 compared to DP-X1 and Opus#2 has small soundstage, poor bass texture and quantity (like the bass frequencies roll off) and the dynamics are nothing spectacular. imaging sounds quite "flat" to me too. the sound is very laid back.
    DP-X1 sounds closer to Opus#2, but sounds less organic. It has this digital quality to midrange. It still sounds a lot better than AK320 IMO (and much cheaper!!). Its soundstage is 3D, enveloping and immersive, and has good bass texture and response. Despite having sabre chips i think it is a "smooth" sounding player with pleasant treble.
    Okay, so Opus#2 just beats the AK320 up (sound-wise). the speed and dynamics were the first things to catch my attention. Also before i listened to Opus#2 I wondered why people called DP-X1 "digital" sounding. now i know why :) Opus#2 sounds so much more life-like! The separation and details are noticeably better than DP-X1 (cant really tell difference for these two qualities between AK320 and DP-X1, but for Opus#2 it is immediately noticeable!). soundstage and imaging is surreal. The bass is very textured, goes deep and has good quantity, midrange sounds smooth and realistic, and treble is pleasant to listen to! UI of Opus#2 isnt as easy to use as DP-X1/AK320, though. i noticed if i want to add songs to play list i have to play the song, then add them to the playlist individually (it is going to take a long time if i have many songs i want to add to my playlist). I used my PC to add playlists for now. also the side buttons dont function after device has been idle for a while. but I am still enjoying this player :)

thank you :)

Domkrat and ExpatinJapan like this.
  14. tienbasse
    I always found AK320 to be sorely lacking when compared to AK380, which is probably the model more able to hold its ground versus Opus #2.
    But yes, if soundstage is your main criteria, Opus DAPs really shines in this department!
    I find drums to be more realistically rendered on AK380 though.

As for DP-X1, I couldn't stand it for 2 minutes, boring analytical signature all the way, with nothing standing out. I guess people after a flat detailed rendering may be pleased with the Onkyo.

Your needs regarding UI are relatively peculiar (= creating / managing playlists), because overall, Opus UI is by far the most simplistic one if you just want to search and play music fast. :wink:

PS: nice IEM shell indeed.

bluesyfluesy likes this.
  15. bluesyfluesy
    maybe :wink: i usually have different playlists for different mood. also i just realised that i am on a older firmware version (1.00.03, checked for system and ota updates yesterday but my device found none!) so i might be missing some ui changes.

i also saw this in changelog for 1.00.04 regarding album art:

- A square shaped image is recommended.
    - If it is not a square shape image, the image is scaled to the square

does that mean non-square album art will be stretched? Or will it keep aspect ratio? i have quite a lot of album art that are not square...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
First

Back
52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61
Page 62 of 71
63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
Next

Last