Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Dec 13, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #843 of 1,185
What's the difference between the 'S' and non-'S'?
I don't know about the sound, but according to the website, higher voltage output from 2.3v to 3.4v, SNR, Crosstalk, different DAC model DAC chip, slightly lower THD+N, better power saving during stand by. The voltage output is higher than Opus #2 even, and based on what I experience with #2, their standby mode is really really good at conserving battery(I don't know if #1 and 3 was on the same level as #2).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #845 of 1,185
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #848 of 1,185
630E254A-FCB5-454F-B68E-873979DE75D1.jpeg 5C558125-82A1-40BB-B801-C52880ADCFED.jpeg C7AA6F2C-149F-4DA7-B30D-93D6A4A73750.jpeg BF7F83BE-2A4F-4670-8D54-D3EBABB533A9.jpeg 81666F73-A45A-41B6-80B7-30B0F6B675ED.jpeg 0BAC2EF7-C983-4DDB-B0F0-CA5F44FAFC3A.jpeg I posted some pictures and a small note in the Opus#1 thread about the 1s a while back.
I listened to it at a Tokyo show in October (?) and volume matched it with an Opus#1 and listened to them both.

In short. Opus#1 is more flat/linear/reference style, 1s has more body and depth to it

Need a Opus 1s thread..

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #849 of 1,185
I posted some pictures and a small note in the Opus#1 thread about the 1s a while back.
I listened to it at a Tokyo show in October (?) and volume matched it with an Opus#1 and listened to them both.

In short. Opus#1 is more flat/linear/reference style, 1s has more body and depth to it

Need a Opus 1s thread..
Thanks for your info.

Dec 14, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #850 of 1,185
Enjoyable dinner with my favorite tunes!

xQcprXN.jpg

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #852 of 1,185
Hey @SilverEars i would just like you to clarify on why you associate DAPs to IEMs directly and but not headphones ? do you mean that DAPs get their strenghts fully revealed only when they are paired to IEMs ?

is it even relevant to have a DAP for headphones? or the difference compared to a good smartphone is not worth when using headphones ?

I am currently hesitating into getting a high end DAP (i could try iBasso DX200, AK Kann, Opus 1 and some others but didn't have the chance to try Opus 2). I definitely heared a difference when using those DAPs with my Fostex Tr90 (80ohms) compared to when i use it with my LG g4 or computer ; the sound with the DAPs was really much more enjoyable, accurate and full. So i guess if i hear the same DAPs with good IEMs i would be mindblown according to you ?

Dec 15, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #853 of 1,185
Hey @SilverEars i would just like you to clarify on why you associate DAPs to IEMs directly and but not headphones ? do you mean that DAPs get their strenghts fully revealed only when they are paired to IEMs ?

is it even relevant to have a DAP for headphones? or the difference compared to a good smartphone is not worth when using headphones ?

I am currently hesitating into getting a high end DAP (i could try iBasso DX200, AK Kann, Opus 1 and some others but didn't have the chance to try Opus 2). I definitely heared a difference when using those DAPs with my Fostex Tr90 (80ohms) compared to when i use it with my LG g4 or computer ; the sound with the DAPs was really much more enjoyable, accurate and full. So i guess if i hear the same DAPs with good IEMs i would be mindblown according to you ?
I think I should have been more clear. If it's an efficient, easy to drive portable headphone that people carry around, DAP should be fine, but if it's full-size headphones people listen in the home requiring a greater level of amping, listening them out of DAPs do not do them justice.

For the 2nd part, yes. Iems have that really close sound since it's directly fed into your ear canal, and this just makes sound cleaner, and well articulated compared to a lot of full-sized headphones, and how well it sounds depends on the quality of the source, and Opus #2 is a high quality source for iems. Compared to headphones, iems expresses the sound quality much more articulately(that is if you have a quality iem and source). So with DAPs, it's a lot more apparent out of iems.

I tried driving good full-sized headphones out of TOTL DAPs, and they don't do justice to the headphones capabilities. You need a good desktop setup for those. My HE1000 for example.

You get a sense of this driving iems to headphones out of various setups.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #854 of 1,185
OK so currently as i told you i have a fostex tr90 80ohms. I would like to have a setup with IEMs and a dap. Should i start buying good iems first then DAP ? or high end DAP use it with my fostex and then IEMs? or share my budget between dap and iems?

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #855 of 1,185
You should look for the best valued DAP within your budget after(if you can) trying out many DAPs. I think having one DAP that you'd consider the one you know sounds generally good out of majority of iems that you would consider a reference, and once you have something like this, you'd feel positive about getting good sound out of additional iems you try out as time goes on.

I guess this is chicken or the egg question. In order for you to try out many DAPs, you'd need an iem you'd consider reference to test them out, but also conversely, you'd need a DAP you'd consider a reference to try out many iems. But, one thing for sure, best way to know this is having a great performing iem you consider a reference. I'd seek out meets where people have various equipments(iems and daps), and out all the combination of them, and then determine which fits your criteria in purchase.

Since transducers generally matters the most in a chain, research the right iem for you first.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back