Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Aug 23, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #631 of 1,185
Yeah, that Sony (my colleague just got it) sounds tremendous. The low is tighter and clearer, don't have some kind of booming as my lovely #2 has. I never noticed it until heard wm1a. Mids are more forward and smoother but still well defined. #2 mids are rolled back a bit. Layering is pretty crazy in Sony and of course dynamics. #2 in comparing to wm1a is flat. I swear guys, I was like wft is happening?! I think stage is a bit wider in #2 but not deeper. I still love my Opus and keeping it but won't be able to sleep now. It's literally like you feel that space between instruments and voice which #2 has it but not like that Sony. used Sennheiser hd25-II and JH16v2, both unbalanced.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #632 of 1,185
Yeah, that Sony (my colleague just got it) sounds tremendous. The low is tighter and clearer, don't have some kind of booming as my lovely #2 has. I never noticed it until heard wm1a. Mids are more forward and smoother but still well defined. #2 mids are rolled back a bit. Layering is pretty crazy in Sony and of course dynamics. #2 in comparing to wm1a is flat. I swear guys, I was like wft is happening?! I think stage is a bit wider in #2 but not deeper. I still love my Opus and keeping it but won't be able to sleep now. It's literally like you feel that space between instruments and voice which #2 has it but not like that Sony. used Sennheiser hd25-II and JH16v2, both unbalanced.

From your write up it sounds like the Sony is more coloured then, the #2 is my reference player and for that it seems perfect. For me it is essentially flat sounding, possibly a little smooth, which I appreciate :)

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #633 of 1,185
Is anyone else buying this SanDisk Ultra 400GB microSDXC?

With this and the internal 128GB I can finally have all my songs on my OPUS#2.

I ordered one from Amazon and they are saying "Arriving Sep 20 - Oct 2".

Sep 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #634 of 1,185
I got an Opus #2, one of the best DAPs I tried actually, truly a high end DAP comparable (sonic wise) with the mighty DX200.

So far (really early), Opus #2 sounds really rich, organic, the top end is well extended, it has amazing clarity and the details are really good.

Rich is the word to describe it right now, curious how it will change with time, if this happens.

The burn-in process barely started, but I have to hand it to iBasso as well, their burn-in cable is really handy for this, helps with having a better controlled burn-in process for DAPs when there is a Balanced option for their cables.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #635 of 1,185
Hey guys :D
This is my first post on Head-fi. I have been digging into audio equipment for 3 years now and after having various headphones and DAPs my current setup is a fostex TR90 paired to a cayin N5. So far I like the sound a lot but I want to take it a step higher. So yeah I have various questions to ask :D

1) I have never tried the balanced output yet since I discovered its utility today ; do you think using my fostex with a balanced output adaptor into the cayin N5 would make a good difference ? I am going to try it anyways but I am just wondering.

2) I am planning on buying a new DAP (my N5 is actually quite broken : volume keys are broken as well as the scroll wheel. I can only setup sound with the startup volume setting xD. And it's hard to use as you can imagine even though the sound is still as good as when it was new). I have heard the AK Kann paired to my fostex (unbalanced output) in a store and I absolutely loved it ; I could really notice the improvement from my current DAP with clearer, heavier notes, details etc. Do you think the big amp kann has makes a huge impact on the sound since I got 80ohm full sized cans ? or a regular DAP's amp would have done the same job and it's more the DAC and its tuning that matter ?

3) Finally the alternative I am considering for Kann is opus #2 since I can find at rather good prices here in Shanghai. Do you think I should go with Kann and its bigger amp to drive my headphones or opus#2 sound will be superior even with the lower amp ?

P.S : the type of sound I like is detailed, with good instruments separation, depth, heavy weight notes, bright highs, and a precise bass to hear the bass guitar notes well :D I listen to rock, hard rock, metal, Jazz, funk, bossa nova, latin jazz etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your help,

A new french head-fier.

P.S : if you have any alternative DAPs that you would like to recommend me I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #636 of 1,185
Hey guys :D
This is my first post on Head-fi. I have been digging into audio equipment for 3 years now and after having various headphones and DAPs my current setup is a fostex TR90 paired to a cayin N5. So far I like the sound a lot but I want to take it a step higher. So yeah I have various questions to ask :D

1) I have never tried the balanced output yet since I discovered its utility today ; do you think using my fostex with a balanced output adaptor into the cayin N5 would make a good difference ? I am going to try it anyways but I am just wondering.

2) I am planning on buying a new DAP (my N5 is actually quite broken : volume keys are broken as well as the scroll wheel. I can only setup sound with the startup volume setting xD. And it's hard to use as you can imagine even though the sound is still as good as when it was new). I have heard the AK Kann paired to my fostex (unbalanced output) in a store and I absolutely loved it ; I could really notice the improvement from my current DAP with clearer, heavier notes, details etc. Do you think the big amp kann has makes a huge impact on the sound since I got 80ohm full sized cans ? or a regular DAP's amp would have done the same job and it's more the DAC and its tuning that matter ?

3) Finally the alternative I am considering for Kann is opus #2 since I can find at rather good prices here in Shanghai. Do you think I should go with Kann and its bigger amp to drive my headphones or opus#2 sound will be superior even with the lower amp ?

P.S : the type of sound I like is detailed, with good instruments separation, depth, heavy weight notes, bright highs, and a precise bass to hear the bass guitar notes well :D I listen to rock, hard rock, metal, Jazz, funk, bossa nova, latin jazz etc.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your help,

A new french head-fier.

P.S : if you have any alternative DAPs that you would like to recommend me I am open to suggestions.

1. Balanced yields different results for different users, some really love it, some are skeptical. At any rate, it generally sounds pretty good, you don't have to worry too much about Balanced vs SE, unless you already have cables and such, consider Balanced like an experiment to dwell into sometime, it might yield some interesting effects :smile_phones:

2. The impedance might not be the main reason, but the different circuit, different amp and DAC architecture and implementation, every DAP has its sound, that is something I am quite sure about, and Opus #2 has a really nice sound.

3. Not sure if Opus #2 has a lower amp, it might even have a strong amp, at any rate, if you can listen to it once before buying, just to be sure, I totally recommend it! :darthsmile: Works great with Metal, Rock and Jazz, at least for me :gs1000smile:

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #638 of 1,185
20170914_141447_001[1].jpg

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #639 of 1,185
Anyone sideload apk files onto this thing? If so, how?
Yes...google the .apk file you want...ie. Tidal. Plug Opus #2 in to your pc....when it recognizes the device go to settings, usb, select mtp. I need to unplug my usb and reconnect for it to open file tree in explorer(pc), I then go to file explorer on pc and look for device. open the the device place the .apk file in device Internal memory(download?). Disconnect, then open the device go to settings then streaming. You will see the icon for the app you placed on the device when you click the +. Click it, it will install. The streaming section is where you will always be able to play the app.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #640 of 1,185
Yes...google the .apk file you want...ie. Tidal. Plug Opus #2 in to your pc....when it recognizes the device go to settings, usb, select mtp. I need to unplug my usb and reconnect for it to open file tree in explorer(pc), I then go to file explorer on pc and look for device. open the the device place the .apk file in device Internal memory(download?). Disconnect, then open the device go to settings then streaming. You will see the icon for the app you placed on the device when you click the +. Click it, it will install. The streaming section is where you will always be able to play the app.

20170914_232400[1].jpg

Thank you bro!

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #641 of 1,185
Hey Chris I wrote it from memory so if a step doesn't make sense when I get home I'll fill in the gaps for you.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #644 of 1,185

I'm actually enjoying customizing this thing.
Feels more comfy.

Stock player is still best for music but other stuff like screen recording and stuff and Neutron for those times I need a pEQ....makes it more enjoyable

Chris, care to share about apps you are using to customize it? That lockscreen one looks sweet!

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #645 of 1,185

Thank you for the procedure. Do you know how to replace those random album arts like guy with sax and guitar... etc? They are there when your file doesn't have album art in vorbis, id3 tags. They must be somewhere in internal memory and should be replaceable. I guess. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back