Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016.
Jul 23, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #601 of 1,185
According to Opus site, Once you update firmware you can not go back, Unless someone more Knowledgeable has a work around and they can Chime In.

Thanks for the info... i also know it from their website... it's just big dissappointment for me... spent SGD.2000 and only had it for 1 week... upgrade the firmware... sounded really bad... even only on par with X5 3rd... now it just sitting in the drawer... what a waste of money...

Thanks... Cheers...

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #602 of 1,185
Thanks for the info... i also know it from their website... it's just big dissappointment for me... spent SGD.2000 and only had it for 1 week... upgrade the firmware... sounded really bad... even only on par with X5 3rd... now it just sitting in the drawer... what a waste of money...

Thanks... Cheers...

It would help if you explained why it sounds bad... rather than just saying it sounds bad.

I've had my Opus #2 since they came out, upgraded firmware every time and heard no real big differences in sound between firmwares, so I believe you may have some settings wrong.

Try resetting all the settings, and see if that helps. To my the Opus #2 is my reference player.

Jul 24, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #603 of 1,185

Thanks... Cheers...
You are the first person I have heard to say the Opus #2 sounds bad. SQ alone makes this player worth the purchase price.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #604 of 1,185
You are the first person I have heard to say the Opus #2 sounds bad. SQ alone makes this player worth the purchase price.

Exactly, the first post I've read from someone questioning the sound quality of Opus#2, the DAP many compare to other flagships that cost 3x as much.

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #605 of 1,185
Exactly, the first post I've read from someone questioning the sound quality of Opus#2, the DAP many compare to other flagships that cost 3x as much.

I only heard Opus #3 so far and I gotta say, I love it so far, totally trust that #2 would compete with even better DAPs, also wondering why would anyone question the quality :triportsad:

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #606 of 1,185
Try resetting all the settings, and see if that helps. To my the Opus #2 is my reference player.

Mine too. It's practically as good as my desktop DAC, the NFB-28... which is just insane, if you think about it.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #607 of 1,185
Spending time with Opus #2

20170724_195608~2-01.jpg

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #609 of 1,185
Hi ALL…

First.... My apology for saying OPUS #2 is bad… maybe it’s not really that bad… sorry…

My experience with FW 1.00.03… normally I listen with AYA Disc, Dali CD, IASCA, EMMA, EASCA, Kharma CD, etc. This old FW gives me the best of separation and also incredible layering… the sub bass can be heard really at the back of the soundstage with great airy bass details, not too big not too small, just right… the vocal was exactly on the sweet-spot, not too distant nor too close with open airy vocals without any sibilant but crystal clear… high was the best I heard, with nice decay and airy…

With the upgraded FW 1.02.02… it seems everything moves a bit forward, closer to you… which makes the layering a bit more compressed, more difficult to distinct the layering position. The closer the sound, the bigger the images, and felt like everything a bit over-in-size… Bass is much closer to the vocal, and seems a touch bigger… vocal is also closer, it’s felt like a bit masked the background instruments quite a bit… high a tad less airy… triangle sounded not so realistic as before…

All tests were done using 32bits(X-MOS)… Gain: Middle… EQ off…

Is it me? or my ears are too sensitive… maybe because I’m used to car audio tuning, I can hear the differences of time-alignment 0.02ms/step…

Once more, I’m really apologizing… It doesn’t mean OPUS #2 really that bad, it’s still the best sounding… but compared to the old FW 1.00.03… it’s definitely a steps down (for me anyway)…

For me, what I’m looking for is the ambience, nuance, layering, separation. With frequency, you can easily adjust it using EQ… but for these ambiences, nuances, layering, separations only can be heard from a really good quality audio setup and matching…

Sorry for all my post previously… and thanks for all your replies…

Thank you… and Cheers…

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #614 of 1,185

Going to give this some head time and a review. Beautiful in hand. Great build.

Oh, now you're wholly in my territory. :)

My favorite rig of them all so far is Opus#2>Ref8>U12-M15.

All together, such an amazing synergy.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #615 of 1,185
Chris you need the Ref 8 cable... the Sq of the Opus #2 is great, the U12 M15 module is great but the cable that seemed to top off the entire combo is the Ref 8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back