thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,606 of 4,190
That looks NICE! How long does it takes to dry? Im going to do that to mine, Ive always hated the color and have been looking online for a black one.

It dries fast. Need to rub it in constantly till it seems dried out to prevent a shiny spot. Never stop swirling it into the material till it seems dried up and it seems all gone. I had one spot that looked a bit shiny  but a did a second rub and it came out If I didn't tell anyone I did it they would never know. It looks dope.

This kind of brush for the dye so it goes on evenly...a paint brush will make lines.
Then cotton ball to quickly rub it in

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,607 of 4,190
That's great to know. Opens my world up a bit more than before.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,608 of 4,190

just an update

The oils set in and after handling the hand oil we get on everything we touch turns it into the identical tone of most dull black stained leather goods.

I read a few pages back about comparing this to an AK380 and it maybe being unfair?
On micro details and stuff ...

Not unfair at all. Listened to it (380) yesterday and used my 3 tracks

Pink Floyd - "On the Run"

Woman at Airport making announcement is late bass all the way to early treble in freq. Really hard to catch all of her announcement. Nearly impossible

America - "Tin Man"

Guitar resonance and clarity of triangle strike around 30 second mark

2pac - "Heaven ain't Hard to Find"

They were burning blunts in the studio and mixed crazy stuff cog spinners and stuff. Only hear it on great sources and drivers

I heard the new FiiO. and just about everything under the sun for the second day.

I realized pretty quick i was holding a gem (OPUS #1b) and the thought of selling it ...ever....went out of my head and trying to change the cover was now an option. I nailed it and it would never be known by the buyer if I didn't say.
Once I decide to keep an item i personalize it via custom cable or other.

The sonics of this item are extremely impressive. I stack everything but would never stack this.

If you own this and live in a place where there is a limit to your exposure to other high end items take a breath and relax. You own a gem.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #1,609 of 4,190
I agree. The only area this lacks is soundstage. Not that it's terribly narrow. It's not. Just not the widest. I think the Cayin i5 may be wider, but that's going from memory. Certainly my AK120ii is.

Everything else about the sound is truly impressive. All my IEMs, and the Meze 99 Classic, even the HD6XX, all sound tremendous on this DAP. The sound is smooth and musical, with no trace of digititis.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,610 of 4,190
I agree. The only area this lacks is soundstage. Not that it's terribly narrow. It's not. Just not the widest. I think the Cayin i5 may be wider, but that's going from memory. Certainly my AK120ii is.

Everything else about the sound is truly impressive. All my IEMs, and the Meze 99 Classic, even the HD6XX, all sound tremendous on this DAP. The sound is smooth and musical, with no trace of digititis.

I hear Cayin i5 as narrow but deep, whereas I hear Opus #1 as wider but not as deep - more equivalent in all directions vs i5.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,611 of 4,190
I found the i5 liked to trick me into thinking it was narrow, due to the level of warmth. But when I used an A/B switcher, it was very close to the width of the Astell&Kern. That surprised me.

-~::Edit::~-
Of course, I haven't gotten the A/B Switcher out yet for this DAP, so the Opus may "surprise" me, as well. :wink:

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #1,612 of 4,190
I'm gonna agree with @nmatheis  I thought the i5 is mojo ish in it's depth I thought the i5, soundaware M1 pro, and Mojo sound very much alike in some respects.

OPUS is pretty wide. The iDSD micro can almost sound un natural in it's width. Playing back Jazz on it (iFi) is interesting because it is ...mmmm interesting
The OPUS seems to play Jazz in a club like it's in a club or

DOKKEN  sounding like they are in an arena even when they are not but that's how you expect them to sound ( I saw em live :) )

The PHA-3 is awesome in the same ways but portability is a bit limited. I can and do but an un stacked DAP that is not quite neutral but not warm was my ideal.

I actually kinda mocked this device initially because I am a moron and a plastic DAP for then 700 bucks seemed crazy. Now I love the **** outta mine.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,613 of 4,190
The stage dimensions the Opus renders are indeed very natural sounding. It's very easy to just bask within.

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #1,614 of 4,190
I own both the i5 and Opus#1.  I did a bit of a-b comparison without a switcher and what I think is that the Opus#1 is obviously wider in soundstage compared to the i5.  Of course, again, YMMV.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,616 of 4,190

Look what arrived today. Loving it so far will have a good listen tonight. 

Does anyone know where you can get screen protectors and cases from in the UK ? TIA

Nick

Yours didn't come with a screen protector?

The back should already have one applied and then you have to manually apply the one in front which it comes with.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,617 of 4,190
"Does anyone know where you can get screen protectors and cases from in the UK ? TIA"

The place I bought the Opus from doesn't have any cases and haven't had any since I bought it last year. I contacted opus directly and they said they would ship one but it worked out about £65. I'm still looking for a case.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,620 of 4,190
Hey guys am i better getting this and use it with a mid fi headphones like Sennheiser hd 598 SE … or should i get a DAP like fiio x3 II and updates my headphone to somthing like HD 600 or 700

I've owned this DAP since its release and have used it plenty of times with HD700's using the balanced input. I think the pairing is excellent and am very happy with the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back