thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea
Jun 3, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #3,782 of 4,190
He was comparing the Opus 1 to the X7 1st Generation. The second generation X7ii is still better than the Opus 1 to him.

About the X7ii's price range, what other Daps do you have in mind?

AK MK70ii and Kann are the only other considered. Actually I almost bought first used Kann and then used MK70ii but missed good deals. I wanted to buy used DAP first before moing to higher models.

Kann has everything I need including USB out for audio,memory card slots (except optical out) but I have gone through many pages of its reviews here and there are some issues regarding its battery and its too bulky.
MK70ii has one one slot for memory card but if its USB supports OTG then its not a bad option as I can attach 256GB thumb drive which I have along with 256GB mSD card.
Onkyo and Pioneer units have too many issues for me and lack connectivity and extra slots for memory. I want hassle free unit.

Prices of Opus#1 and N5ii are same here in India and MK70ii matches with X7ii in price.

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #3,783 of 4,190
AK MK70ii and Kann are the only other considered. Actually I almost bought first used Kann and then used MK70ii but missed good deals. I wanted to buy used DAP first before moing to higher models.

Kann has everything I need including USB out for audio,memory card slots (except optical out) but I have gone through many pages of its reviews here and there are some issues regarding its battery and its too bulky.
MK70ii has one one slot for memory card but if its USB supports OTG then its not a bad option as I can attach 256GB thumb drive which I have along with 256GB mSD card.
Onkyo and Pioneer units have too many issues for me and lack connectivity and extra slots for memory. I want hassle free unit.

Prices of Opus#1 and N5ii are same here in India and MK70ii matches with X7ii in price.

I'm gonna chime in my input here.

I think what questions you need to ask yourself is what you're after in terms of sound signature (that's probably the most defining aspect I reckon). I currently own an AK70ii. And I was in the same exact situation.

I needed something that was warmer, but not incredibly warm like the KANN, I've heard the Opus #1, it was okay for me. However I've read enough reviews to know that the N5ii was way more analytical and has a colder sound signature, again not that great of a fit.

If you're looking for a "neutral" dap, again neutrality is based on one's perception. One thing's for sure, if you're looking for a "warmer" source you're pretty much left with the #1 metal edition, #1s, AK70ii or Kann.

If you can, try it out. Hope this helps better.

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #3,784 of 4,190

I think what questions you need to ask yourself is what you're after in terms of sound signature (that's probably the most defining aspect I reckon). I currently own an AK70ii. And I was in the same exact situation.

I needed something that was warmer, but not incredibly warm like the KANN, I've heard the Opus #1, it was okay for me. However I've read enough reviews to know that the N5ii was way more analytical and has a colder sound signature, again not that great of a fit.

If you're looking for a "neutral" dap, again neutrality is based on one's perception. One thing's for sure, if you're looking for a "warmer" source you're pretty much left with the #1 metal edition, #1s, AK70ii or Kann.

Very true if your after a warm source don't bother with oppy1.
one thing I remember with oppy1 is when I first bought it and owned x7 I wasn't certain I had made the right choice because on first listen it sounded flat and boring compared to x7, after using both for a while it was clear it was just more neutral and natural with better detail compared to x7 original.

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #3,789 of 4,190
Bummer.

I’ve noticed a few players not doing this, to me it’s a pretty essential feature on a mobile device in particular. Annoying to have to create a whole playlist before you start the music.

I don't think that I've ever had a DAP that can do this (maybe iPods but its been to long since I've used them so I can't remember ). Can you give an example of one that handles it?

I would imagine that you'd need something with a full featured Android to do this but I might be wrong....

Edit: or are you talking about a play all songs randomly option?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #3,791 of 4,190
I don't think that I've ever had a DAP that can do this (maybe iPods but its been to long since I've used them so I can't remember ). Can you give an example of one that handles it?

I would imagine that you'd need something with a full featured Android to do this but I might be wrong....

AK’s do.

3rd party apps on Fiio can.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #3,793 of 4,190

First one is always difficult to buy. :)

As I said earlier I am looking for DAP with neutral sonic signature not on analytical side but on slightly warmer side if I have to chose a side. I prefer somewhat rolled off higher frequencies, strong midbass/midrange and tight punchy bass which you can feel more than you hear it.:)

Like you I have also read many reviews regarding N5ii being more on analytical and Kann on warmer side. This is why I was interested in MK70ii until I read about Opus#1 and landed here. If its metal version is sonically similar to MK70ii then there is no reason I should buy MK70ii as its double the price of Opus. I have heard that screen of Opus is more on brighter side which will be very useful in car. N5ii has dull screen I know as compared to its rivals.
I do not need bluetooth or any other feature which MK70ii has in addition to Opus.

But even if MK70ii is somewhat better than Opus I won't mind the double price as I know the returns in sound quality are not equally proportional to money spend as we move higher.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #3,794 of 4,190

As I said earlier I am looking for DAP with neutral sonic signature not on analytical side but on slightly warmer side if I have to chose a side. I prefer somewhat rolled off higher frequencies, strong midbass/midrange and tight punchy bass which you can feel more than you hear it.:)

Like you I have also read many reviews regarding N5ii being more on analytical and Kann on warmer side. This is why I was interested in MK70ii until I read about Opus#1 and landed here. If its metal version is sonically similar to MK70ii then there is no reason I should buy MK70ii as its double the price of Opus. I have heard that screen of Opus is more on brighter side which will be very useful in car. N5ii has dull screen I know as compared to its rivals.
I do not need bluetooth or any other feature which MK70ii has in addition to Opus.

But even if MK70ii is somewhat better than Opus I won't mind the double price as I know the returns in sound quality are not equally proportional to money spend as we move higher.

I do not know the specifics for Metal version, however I do know that the AK70ii has the same amount of detail retrieval as the N5ii. Difference is probably just sound signature and "layering/airy-ness*.

Maybe you would want to look at the Opus #1s. But I definitely know you would love the AK70ii given your desired sound signature.

Jun 3, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #3,795 of 4,190

If you don't mind only having a single SD slot, it seems that the DX150 would be a very good fit for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back