The Zishan dsd's corner
Jul 22, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #691 of 3,711
Swapped out the overly smooth syrupy 2604 opamp for a JRC 4580DD. This'll be staying for a while just gorgeous all around so far
Testing with the highly revealing JVC/Victor Studios HA-MX100-Z.

Was going to mess with replacing those 2 caps but only had 470uf's that were too large in size.
I really wanted to throw some Elna Cerafine in that spot but no such luck.
With this 4580DD opamp in the LPF socket there is no need to do so it has kept somewhat of the Elna RE3 signature or whatever they are stock, but dealt perfectly with their edginess.

=Unit here is the stock one but with the15V board/mod option.

***endia your picture there how are you managing to use that adapter board opamp? Is the height a little less than normal?
Does it not bottom out on the top board ?
I might see about replacing some pins on a couple adapter boarded opamps i have here to reduce the height. Maybe.

yes, it is a diy adapter, a standart adapter doesn't fit to zishan.. you need 8 legs of these pins,

https://goo.gl/sE7eBC

i stripped black plastic parts and inserted onto a bigger dip adapter, soldered the legs from long side to the adapter and then cut leftover legs from the top of the adapter..

IMG_20170718_160016s.jpg

IMG_20170718_171053s.jpg

IMG_20170718_164418s.jpg

or you can buy one of that browndog adapter (second from right) as i have only one but needed 3-4 of them..

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #692 of 3,711
Very much appreciate that post thanks.
Luckily I have all those parts around here somewhere.
When/if I get around to it I will post it up.
Thanks again.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #693 of 3,711
=endia did you also try the Audionote caps with the stock opamp ( whichever one you have ) ?
Think I am going to try to find some of those and give them a whirl, with stock opamp and with different ones.
Thanks for posting that up.

really want to throw in the 823 or 825, but need to whip up the shorter adapter.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #694 of 3,711
=endia did you also try the Audionote caps with the stock opamp ( whichever one you have ) ?
Think I am going to try to find some of those and give them a whirl, with stock opamp and with different ones.
Thanks for posting that up.

really want to throw in the 823 or 825, but need to whip up the shorter adapter.

yes, it was lme49720, very capable an all rounder but nothing exciting for me..

i also tried ad823 and really liked it's tonality but he can't stay there against intersil 28227..

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #696 of 3,711
Alright, sorry to ask this at such a late time, since I had auditioned my Zishan family and even made a review of them, now I am a little bored and want to get a new player. Will you guys recommend me purchasing Zishan DSD asap or wait for few months in case there is a newer version of it?

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #697 of 3,711
Alright, sorry to ask this at such a late time, since I had auditioned my Zishan family and even made a review of them, now I am a little bored and want to get a new player. Will you guys recommend me purchasing Zishan DSD asap or wait for few months in case there is a newer version of it?
I can't speak if Zishan creator is going to make a Zishan DSD upgrade/replacement, and from the looks of all Zishan family internals, continuing pumping out the screenless Zx series is probably more profitable for him:
1. a simple one PCB solution with not that many components, selling for $40, vs
2. a two PCB solution with LOTS of components selling for $145
3. prob more people willing to buy/try the Z2 due to its price points too

so... economically, i'd bet Z3 (AK4495 or Balanced drive, or both?!) comes before Zishan DSD V2 (a budget version of D200?)

anyhoo, if you are curious, yes, there is a noticeable SQ difference between Z1 (sorry I don't have a Z2... yet) and Zishan DSD. Now is it $120 better than Z1? or better yet, is it $110 better than Z2? that depends on what you can do with that $110. headphone upgrade? getting a portable amp to solve Z2 100ohm output impedance problem so it has better synergy with more headphones/earbuds/iems?

bottom line is, if I only have Z1, i'd be ok with it (heck, i'd even be OK with my iPhone 7 as DAP if I don't freaking keep loosing/destroying those damn Lightning to 3.5mm dongles), but since I also have a Zishan DSD and it IS better, I might as well use it, and I can use the Zishan DSD without an amp happily with all of my headphones, but since I already have a Fiio A5... why not

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #698 of 3,711
I can't speak if Zishan creator is going to make a Zishan DSD upgrade/replacement, and from the looks of all Zishan family internals, continuing pumping out the screenless Zx series is probably more profitable for him:
1. a simple one PCB solution with not that many components, selling for $40, vs
2. a two PCB solution with LOTS of components selling for $145
3. prob more people willing to buy/try the Z2 due to its price points too

so... economically, i'd bet Z3 (AK4495 or Balanced drive, or both?!) comes before Zishan DSD V2 (a budget version of D200?)

anyhoo, if you are curious, yes, there is a noticeable SQ difference between Z1 (sorry I don't have a Z2... yet) and Zishan DSD. Now is it $120 better than Z1? or better yet, is it $110 better than Z2? that depends on what you can do with that $110. headphone upgrade? getting a portable amp to solve Z2 100ohm output impedance problem so it has better synergy with more headphones/earbuds/iems?

bottom line is, if I only have Z1, i'd be ok with it (heck, i'd even be OK with my iPhone 7 as DAP if I don't freaking keep loosing/destroying those damn Lightning to 3.5mm dongles), but since I also have a Zishan DSD and it IS better, I might as well use it, and I can use the Zishan DSD without an amp happily with all of my headphones, but since I already have a Fiio A5... why not

I see, thank you for the reply, as for Zishan Z2 review (Link: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/zishan-family-z1-z2.22550/ ). Well I think I am getting Zishan DSD along with my other purchase from taobao soon since I like the signature of Z1 and Z2.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #699 of 3,711
I have the Zishan Z2 and the Yin Lu Mei D200+ (aka Smartplayer D200+). The D200+ has 2xOPA2134P opamp's. So i did put out one of them and mounted it to the Zishan Z2 to hear any difference in sound quality versus the LM4562NA opamp.

So my question; is it safe to use the D200+ with only one opamp, can I reduce the power consumption and has it any disadvantages :)

Here are some pics how it looks like inside the D200+ and the Zishan Z2 :wink:

20170804_205825.jpg

20170804_210356.jpg

20170804_210409.jpg

20170804_205821.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #702 of 3,711
Not sure if a new Zishan's version will be released... I agree on the simplest Z-series are much more profitable.
My upgraded Zishan´s back after 2-3 months in China to be repaired. I was used a LG v20 instead, a mobile phone with 4 dacs built-in -very good sound-, but it was to listen the zishan again to realise how much I missed this powerful player.
After reading the lasts posts I think it´s worth the d200+ and I´d start saving for it... another heartbreak for my tiny bank account! :hear_no_evil:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #703 of 3,711
Hi, I just ordered my Zishan DSD finally, I need your advice, I look for a super detailed, wide and natural sound, my headphones are some Alessandro MS2e, which OPA recommend that I buy to incorporate it in my Zishan DSD ?,
I was thinking about OPA Muses02, or even V5i SS but does anyone know if it fits the space of the player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back