1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Zishan dsd's corner

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by neog007, Nov 17, 2016.
Tags:
First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164
Next

Last
  1. Ivan TT
    Not really unless you convert power from single supply to dual.

2. macky112
    @hakuzen pointed out to me that the "turbo" function also affects Line Out.

So this boost function affects both headphone out and line out at the same time.

On a separate note, does anybody notice the cutting off of last few seconds of songs on FW 0.4I?

hakuzen likes this.
  3. hakuzen
    we can understand why zishan removed boost/turbo/high gain option in posterior models. properly talking, they've removed low gain option, and old high version is default now.
    gain setting affects to line output as well (which, if not a bug, is rare). line output was very underpowered at low gain.

zishan dsd ak4495, firmware version 0.4G.

HO: headphones output; LO: line output
    LG: low gain; HG: high gain (turbo mode)

MaxPower_HO_HG_~2.75Vrms(20Ω,lowDistortion)-3.65Vrms(33Ω,lowDistortion)-3.75Vrms(unloaded)
    MaxPower_HO_LG_0.275Vrms
    Power_LO_HG_1.885Vrms
    Power_LO_LG_0.138Vrms!

HeyManslowdown97 and macky112 like this.
  4. gazzington
    I'm thinking of getting one of these to mod. I've never modded before, does anyone have tips on where to start with modding a dsd. What equipment do I need, how to do it etc

5. bobsherman
    What is your opinion on the z3 4493, will be using it stock, no mods? TIA

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  6. Themilkman46290
    I don't have the newer z3 but the older z3 had some bass and treble roll off and it has high output impedance, good with high impedance gear but terrible with b.a. drivers and not great with low impedance/sensitive iems,
    It wasnt bad with bigger cans but still had a considerable roll off, unless used with and amp, then there is only a bit of roll off on the highs

When used with high impedance earbuds there was less roll off and the sound cleaned up, the mids are very very nice.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  7. buzzbuzz
    I have both DSD 4497 and Z3 4493

You nailed it. I got a Z3 4493 from AliExpress a few months back. It has a lot more bass and treble roll off than that of DSD 4497. With low impedance IEMs, it sounds very thin in mid and low bass. The high is not right either. With a 35ohm can, it sounded ok. Then with Monolith M1060, a 50 ohm planar can, it seemed to run out of juice/current to drive it to make it sound right. But it sounded great when driving Monolith m300, a 28x28mm planar semi-iem.
    It is mixed bag. It can sound good with the right matchups.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    HeyManslowdown97 likes this.
  8. bobsherman
    Thanks. I just picked a 4493 up. Had an older 4495 dsd volume pot that was lost. I liked it. Maybe I should get a new 4495, digital volume. Are the z3 internals very different from the dsd? Other than the screen.

I am planing to load parametric eq files for isines.

9. bobsherman
  10. Ivan TT
  11. buzzbuzz
  12. Origen Ru
    After two years of use and having changed the OPAmp MUSES02 by the Burson V5i and using the linear DAC connected to my AMP Little Bear P32 which I also modified by changing the FU32 Chinese tube for an RCA CRC-829B and the factory OPAmp NE5532P for a Burson V6 Vivid, now if it achieves a complete and impressive sound.

20190604_222306.jpg

13. phuzzyday
    Been loving Z2 for some time... In USB DAC mode it only supports 44,100 though. Has this changed with any newer ones? Anyone know? Still sounds amazing, I'm not hung up like I used to be on sample rates. Looking for excuse to maybe get new one though.. these mods in here look neat too!

DBaldock9 likes this.
  14. Merlin-PT
    All zishans only support 16bits 48Khz in USB DAC mode, I think it's a limitation of using the stm32 for usb audio.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-zishan-dsds-corner.826185/page-100#post-14713480
    "On the subject of the 48Khz limitation, here you can find detailed information about the USB audio implementation in STM32:
    https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/dm00189562.pdf

I only opened the doc and didn't read it, but I could see they use the internal 48Mhz OSC and a 1000 divider and that limits the supported sample rates to 48Khz. I didn't investigated further to know if other dividers are possible or external clocks are supported for USB audio."

All the information is already in this thread, it would be too much information to compile in a reply.

The usual simple mod is to change the audio capacitors and the opamp in the socket.
    For the audio caps you need a soldering iron.
    But much more can be done, It's like everything else, start simple and build on top of what you have learned to increase the complexity.

You'll need to use a soldering iron with a small tip to do the SMD components, if you never used one, you need to pratice soldering/desoldering in another board with SMD components (any old computer card will do). It requires some pratice, but I think it's a fast learning curve.
    Some components can be desoldered with 2 soldering irons, one in each hand making a huge tweezer _or_ using a hot air soldering station and a precision tweezer. To solder you need only one soldering iron or the hot air station.
    There are several levels of difficulty depending on the size and type of the component and the spot to solder, so a steady hand and good close range eye sight are the only skills required.

Watch some youtube videos on how to solder/desolder components.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  15. phuzzyday
    Wow. Ok that's very peculiar to hear. I saw the developer many months ago comment that it was limited to 44,100! Every device I have ever plugged it into indicated it was running at 44,100 also. I play with this stuff constantly, I'm quite certain of it. I'll read those documents though, I might be about to learn something new!! I just had an exchange with the developer of USB Audio Player. He confirmed that the Z2 provided zero information about it's sample rate capability to the host, called it junk.. . Somehow it works though! His app used to work with it, but no longer, at least with my s10. Funny enough, after Neutron initializes with it, all Android sound works through it, including UAP with USB disabled so it goes with the system default.

I've thought for some time that, no matter the sample rate, these things have amazing sound! I think they still get alot of respect..? This thread is very cool. Quite a lot to read through!

First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164
Next

Last