The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #4,127 of 5,721
Quote:
Yup mine does the same thing.

What connection do people usually use for their STX card to an external amp?  Headphone Jack or RCA outputs?

I ask because I notice very faint static when their is no music on and when I play videogames a slight buzz in the headphones.  Their is no buzz in load screens but only during in game playing.
  This buzz is not present when I just put the headphones direct to the soundcard.  I tried the amp with the same headphones with an Ipod and had no problem.  It only seems to be when I have this set up do I experience anything:

Senns HD 600 to BH Crack Amp to STX sound card.  Gain set to normal. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I run RCA to my M-Stage and when I had the PC360, there was no noise when connected to the card's headphone and microphone plugs.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #4,128 of 5,721
Quote:
Thanks. I even contacted Asus support, and they said it was not normal. what you know, community knows more and better than official support. 

It's normal. Mine has been doing it since day 1, and when I contacted support, they said it was indeed normal. I think they even updated the documentation to say that there will be an audible click on power-on.

I only hear it when I reboot the machine, doesn't bother me.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4,129 of 5,721
Hey all. So, I just upgraded my Op Amps from stock to the TI LME49720s. I'm not happy with the change. Tried with both my Grados and Sennheisers, and I think they sound noticeably worse than stock, which surprises me greatly. Has anyone else upgraded to these op amps and not been happy? It's hard to look through 275 pages, but it seems like most posts I see about them are rather glowing.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #4,130 of 5,721
Opamps are like flavors, some like one flavor and some like others.  You also have to consider that not all opamps will be a good match with whatever cans you are using also.
You might have to experiment to find the best match for your gear and ears.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #4,131 of 5,721
Quote:
Its not the only amps I've ever tried, I had and tested a lot of various amps, including the Musical Fidelity M1HPA that I had for a while, which is pretty excellent solid state for 800-900$, and again there were no major differences.  Besides, I dont think I need 1000$ headphones to hear a difference. Something as unforgiving and transparent as K701's is more than enough. I can clearly hear a difference between the amps I have, but between DAC's, not really. And actually, there SHOULDN'T be much differences between DAC's when you get to that level anyway. I'm not saying that more expensive DAC's wont be better, but the differences wont be major.  Its not like when you get a 1000$ DAC instead of a 200$ one, you'll hear the same amount of difference or improvement as you would hear between headphones for 200 and 1000 bucks. 

So,  in my experiences, to answer the question whether one should upgrade to a more expensive DAC from Asus STX or ST.  No, unless you intend to pay a lot more money, as you said.  Probably, when you add up all the little improvements you gain by switching from 300-400$ headphones and ST to 1000$ headphones, amp and DAC, you'd hear a good difference. Still, nothing too major. Its very obvious that the prices raise exponentially in relation to actual improvements in sound you get, and in my experience that is particularly true when it comes to DAC's. Headphones and amps are a different story.

The law of diminishing returns, I completely agree that with DAC's it sets in way before the other components, I have said before that the difference between a **** DAC and a decent one is phenomenal, but the difference between a decent one and TOTL one is minor.
And completely agree with AKG's reflecting the differences up the chain. I use them when I'm swapping opamps. 

Quote:
Hey all. So, I just upgraded my Op Amps from stock to the TI LME49720s. I'm not happy with the change. Tried with both my Grados and Sennheisers, and I think they sound noticeably worse than stock, which surprises me greatly. Has anyone else upgraded to these op amps and not been happy? It's hard to look through 275 pages, but it seems like most posts I see about them are rather glowing.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-st-headphone-7-1-channel-audio-card-for-audiophiles#wiki

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #4,133 of 5,721
Quote:
What would be a good set of op-amps to pair with a DT990? I would imagine something on the warmer side would be nice. I really don't want anything that'll emphasize treble. 

THS4032 - My friend is rocking it ATM.

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #4,134 of 5,721
Hello!!!!
I want change stock op amps in I/V, but i understand that the quality of sound depends on the brand of the headphones and my ears :)
What op amps would be a major change after the stock ones in your opinion?

thanks

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #4,135 of 5,721
Quote:
Hello!!!!
I want change stock op amps in I/V, but i understand that the quality of sound depends on the brand of the headphones and my ears :)
What op amps would be a major change after the stock ones in your opinion?

thanks

What sound are you after, what headpnones/speakers are you using, what kind of music do you listen to. 

And first - check here

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,138 of 5,721
What sound are you after, what headpnones/speakers are you using, what kind of music do you listen to. 

And first - check here

Even though the post wasn't directed towards me, I did find the information in the link useful and made me change some of my settings and change from the standard asus program (Don't know why, but I hadn't looked at the end of the page about the card before). But I swear that ASIO in foobar tried to kill me when I tried it, had max output from foobars volume setting (as always before), but it decided to disregarded the system volume, it got really (freakishly) loud, I doubt the headphones got damaged, but my ears are still soar and hurts :p. Never gonna abandon wasapi, asio is evil :p. Guess I overlooked something when changing stuff, but still...

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #4,139 of 5,721
Quote:
Headphones are AKG K550.

True Metal, Blues, Classical.

which of those LME49990, AD797 & THS4032

Ouch, Definitely THS4032, you need the smoothness in the treble, and the the AD797 will murder your ears. (I have AKG K242HD, and K550) I dont like the K550, and I HIGHLY recommend you EQ the treble down by 30%. Them K550's treble is evil.

Quote:
I think we need to add a ferrite filter on molex, because analog part takes power from molex.

something like this
http://www.overclockers.ua/blogs/users/gallery/462/88/2000_2602ee9a30.jpg

Couldn't hurt - but I would wait for stv014 to prove it useful or a waste of time, in him I trust.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #4,140 of 5,721
Quote:
Ouch, Definitely THS4032, you need the smoothness in the treble, and the the AD797 will murder your ears. (I have AKG K242HD, and K550) I dont like the K550, and I HIGHLY recommend you EQ the treble down by 30%. Them K550's treble is evil.

Couldn't hurt - but I would wait for stv014 to prove it useful or a waste of time, in him I trust.

THS4032 is a single channel op amp, I mean there must be two op amps on the adapter (one on the adapter and one under the adapter).
Is this right one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-TI-THS4032CD-THS4032-ON-DIP-ADAPTER-/221070742557?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3378d7d41d

Can u please inform me when you see if stv014 has the results and tell me if useful or not.
Ok thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back