The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 14, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #1,909 of 5,721
ah ... well, i was under the impression that the bitperfect asio was the best way to go, but it's ear-splittingly loud unless i turn down the volume in foobar. but i'm not sure if i wanna do that since so many people seem to say that worsens the sound quality.

Jul 14, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #1,911 of 5,721
Digital attenuation technically loses bits as you lower the volume, but I believe the general consensus is that the changes shouldn't be audible unless you're listening at excessive volume levels.

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #1,913 of 5,721
I've tried some players with ASIO bit-perfect auto sampling with result :

1. Foobar2000 during playback with ASIO output device will halted some Windows XP commands (control panel, some programs via windows explorer, printer & faxes, etc) until I stop playback then command continued again.
  2. Winamp not compatible with this new driver. ASIO plugin from Otachan didn't work, it detect but no sound came out, with Christian Budde's plugin it had stuttering sound.
  3. Last uLilith, best for 44100Hz it but had problem when ASIO change frequency automatically. It acted as speed was slowed every auto sampling active either up or down sampling. So I must choose wisely my song collection with 44100Hz only to be played.

Is there any way to use this beta STX driver without problems under Windows XP? at least Asus released bit-perfect auto sampling I had wait so long ... unfortunately not perfect yet
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,915 of 5,721
just a few questions i'm hoping one of you guys can answer ...

1. would rca cables from speakers to the rca inputs in the st be the best way to go as far as hooking up speakers to the soundcard?
2. what makes more of a difference in sound ... to upgrade speaker cable or the rca cables? or is it more or less the same?

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,916 of 5,721
1. You need an amplifier in between unless you are taking about powered monitors..etc.  Since the card has RCA output, if your speakers have RCA inputs then use RCA patch cables.
2.  There is a big debate all the time regarding cables,  just make sure you are using  quality cables and you will be fine.  No garbage and no high price snake oil cables and you will be fine.

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,917 of 5,721
they are powered monitors.
and i meant more as in ... the speakers i have come with speaker wire to connect them and then i'd go rca cables into the st. so i'm just wondering which, if i had to choose, would make more of a difference in sound quality to start with. i'll eventually get around to replacing both, but i was wondering whre to start.

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #1,919 of 5,721
Output impedance on the Essense cards is sufficiently low that there should be no audible loss no matter the cable. The greatest loss in the case of the Essense cards is the output coupling caps. I run mine through modified M-Audio BX5's ( semi pro monitors which whem modded are about the most open sounding speaker I have heard in a long time especially when you consider price). If there was a problem with different cables because of output impedance being high interacting with high capacitance cables you would hear it with this setup but such is not the case here. The output impedance is low enough that there is no interaction in the audio band even with high capacitance cables. I still avoid them though in all my other equipment because they have higher output impedance than the essense card does.

Jul 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #1,920 of 5,721

ah, alright ... 'cause i was looking at getting these: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablintr&1283691608&/Soundsilver-Dual-Silver-Fantas
and this: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?cablspkr&1284320308&/Supra-Ply-3.4--$13/-meter--ult

for my audioengine a2's, thinking maybe i could squeeze a little extra out of them coupled with the st, but if not, i'll probably just buy some cheapo cables from monoprice or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back