The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #91 of 5,715
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Rob, that was very helpful! I have a much better idea now about which versions of each chip I should I get. I ordered a some samples of the LME49720NA from National Semiconductor as some people have suggested (thanks leeperry). It's a steal considering I didn't have to pay anything (free shipping) with my .edu email address.

Just so you can have the right information about these units. Look over the specifications sheets of both.

LM4562
LME49720

You quickly see why many think they sound the same even before testing. After testing, some say yes and some say no. Your ears...

May 25, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #92 of 5,715
lol you already quoted him once...and he didn't even ask about the difference between 4562/49720 in the first place
biggrin.gif

how about a third quote?

May 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #94 of 5,715
Theres nothing wrong with rob putting the info out there in greater detail.

Edit: LME49720NA works better with my amp then 3xOPA227PA's in all of the slots. SO I using the same 2xOPA227PA's in my I/V with LME 49720NA in the buffer this time.

May 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #96 of 5,715
a break
confused_face_2.gif
it's been 4 days now...I would have hoped that my 49720 had broken in by now
beerchug.gif

anyway, I've ordered the TO99 49720, eager to hear whether there'll be any difference
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #97 of 5,715
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the first freaking post.

Sorry Telix, I did read you first post, which has been invaluable. But even though it does say that the opamps the STX uses are dual 8DIP, it didn't have any info about SOIC or TO-99 chips. Like I said, I don't really know much about electronics so I had no idea about what the differences between DIP, SOIC, and TO-99 were. Sorry again if I offended you.

May 25, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #98 of 5,715
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Telix, I did read you first post, which has been invaluable. But even though it does say that the opamps the STX uses are dual 8DIP, it didn't have any info about SOIC or TO-99 chips. Like I said, I don't really know much about electronics so I had no idea about what the differences between DIP, SOIC, and TO-99 were. Sorry again if I offended you.

Don't worry about it. If you have any questions ask away.
Many of us have been testing and working with opamps for years and some are just new to the game and trying to learn from others.
smile.gif

May 26, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #99 of 5,715
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a break
confused_face_2.gif
it's been 4 days now...I would have hoped that my 49720 had broken in by now
beerchug.gif

anyway, I've ordered the TO99 49720, eager to hear whether there'll be any difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Will a LME49720HA on a TO-99 to DIP 8 adapter fit underneath the removable cover? Obviously I'll take superior op amps over a cheap cover any day... unless I can skip the adapter and just bend the TO-99 pins to fit in the DIP 8 slot, as some people have mentioned... seems a little sketchy though.

Leeperry: If I may ask, how do you plan on installing your TO-99 49720? (LME49720HA)

Adapter: TO-99 to 8-pin DIP Adapter (p/n 020601B)

May 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #100 of 5,715
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Con /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leeperry: If I may ask, how do you plan on installing your TO-99 49720? (LME49720HA)

I plan on bending them, and put a piece of tape on top
smily_headphones1.gif

and if that really doesn't fit w/ the shield, an electronician friend of mine offered to solder them on browndog adapters.

but ideally I'd like to do it on the ST, so I'm eagerly waiting for the ST to be available in HK(Asus told me that it was being delivered to distributors).

anyway, that friend of mine will give me TO99 IC's and DIP8 holders, so I can try it risk-free
smily_headphones1.gif

but guys on diyaudio.com are pretty clear that bending TO99 to fit DIP8 is piece of cake
popcorn.gif

May 26, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #101 of 5,715
Bending should work, as long as you're extremely careful when cutting/bending the pins.

May 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #103 of 5,715
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on bending them, and put a piece of tape on top
smily_headphones1.gif

Box sealing, double sided, duct, masking, filament, gaffers, hockey, medical, scotch, surgical...
wink_face.gif
so many tapes to chose from - Of course you mean a little circle of electricians tape on top of the opamp lol.
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #105 of 5,715
My STX front panel audio doesn't work. I installed the hardware and wires correctly and everything. Are there software setting I have to play with that I am not aware of? Can someone help?

Edit: OOps, I realized that you had to change the setting in software. Is there a way to make it automatic??

Also The front panel audio has lots of static noise just like onboard sound when used with my headphone. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem? Any fixes? And for that matter does anyone actually use the front panel audio for their headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back