The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 10, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #5,673 of 5,721
So, I think mine finally bit the dust. Should I be able to take over the cover and look for bad capacitors, or anything else?

So, it looks as though a Windows 10 update broke the original driver. I installed Unified drivers and all is right again.
Quick question:
Would I benefit from using the rca outs from the card into a little dot +1 amp?

May 10, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #5,674 of 5,721
So, it looks as though a Windows 10 update broke the original driver. I installed Unified drivers and all is right again.
Quick question:
Would I benefit from using the rca outs from the card into a little dot +1 amp?
For a Little Dot +1, not worth it.

The STX can not send it's Dolby headphone out the line-output jacks (RCA).
If you use lower Ohm (Impedance) headphone, like under 50-Ohm, then a Schiit Magni or JDS Atom might be worth it.
The STX headphone jack has a 10-Ohm output impedance, so it can cause lower Ohm headphones to get a bloated bass (louder, less detailed) bass.
I've plugged 32-Ohm headphones into my STX's headphone, which was not really a big issue, but I think my O2 head amp helped bring out the detail.

May 17, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #5,675 of 5,721
For a Little Dot +1, not worth it.

The STX can not send it's Dolby headphone out the line-output jacks (RCA).
If you use lower Ohm (Impedance) headphone, like under 50-Ohm, then a Schiit Magni or JDS Atom might be worth it.
The STX headphone jack has a 10-Ohm output impedance, so it can cause lower Ohm headphones to get a bloated bass (louder, less detailed) bass.
I've plugged 32-Ohm headphones into my STX's headphone, which was not really a big issue, but I think my O2 head amp helped bring out the detail.

Thanks Purple Angel,

So, let me ask another question. Using the ST (my version is pci) primarily with 600ohm DT990's, what would be some good opamp upgrades here in 2020?

Thanks in advance

May 17, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #5,676 of 5,721
Thanks Purple Angel,
So, let me ask another question. Using the ST (my version is pci) primarily with 600-Ohm DT990's, what would be some good op-amp upgrades here in 2020?
Thanks in advance
I used AD757BR op-amps, but there are lots of other good op-amps.

May 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #5,677 of 5,721
Hi guys ! :smile_phones:
So, after some researches, i recently bought an Asus STX II as lot of peoples said it was very good deal.
I mostly only liked "good sound" without really trying to tweak anything but i'm here for some advices about that.

So, most of the time, i'm listening and mixing electronic music, trance and progressive, which need deep bass and clear high frequency.
And i'm here because, after testing for 1 week my card (I heard Op-Amp need time to adjust, just like headphones/Speaker),i find the sound "cheap". :triportsad:
I use my card only with headphones (Sennheiser HD-700 and Pioneer HDJ 2000) and with both of them, while lot of precedent experiences made me find them pretty amazing, the sound here looks like it lacks of power, of "surround", like if its too cheap in the bass, and too generous on the mid and very high frequency, especially when i use the Hi-fi mode.
I mean, there's a big improvement in spatialization and clarity, but i find the sound very "little", where everything seems cheap almost like what 30$ earbuds can deliver in term of presence if i dont tweak the equalizer a lot (like +10 to +15 on 60Hz and -5 on 500Hz and 1Khz), which is way too much for the neutrality.
And even with this, i'm still feeling the sound just being enhanced but not very powerfull as its basics, because enhhancing that much obviously destroy all frequencies.
The impact on the bass are not here at all, it just add presence without any precision.
And here, i'm not talking about too bass-boosted previous setup who might had "damaged" my sense, nop, just about a VERY cheap sound if i dont touch the equalizer.
Most of the time, it always ended after half an hour, finding my ears exhausted by the high frequencies, without having enjoyed anything because of the cheap sound caused by the big mid and little bass !

I tried tweaking the Muses 8920 originally put in the card for the LME49720, and it sounded like less clearer high frequencies, without adding any "power" to the bass, so, all in all, too mid and high powered.

My question is, is there any Op-Amps who can help my new card deliver real deep and spatialized bass and correct the "Cheap Mid frequencies" effect?

Thanks for your advices, it could really help me finding a solution different than just returning it :upside_down:

Edit : Made a long-term musician friend of mine test it and he had exactly the same thought, sound not equalized is looking little and "compressed" like if it was coming out from a very little source, hardly better than a motherboard built-in sound aside clarity and spatialization

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #5,678 of 5,721
Sure, let me give it a shot.

Here's the stock board with the cover off,

The three socketed 8 pin op amps for the I-V stage and output stage are visible top left. Zooming in,

The I-V stage is to the right, two JRC2114D shown. The output differential-single converter / low pass filter is the LM4562 at left. It has four 2n7 (2700pF) caps around it, the small white rectangles right next to the op amp marked 2n7J400. Those caps are not bypass caps, but rather the low pass filter. The circuit is almost certainly based on the one in the PCM1792A datasheet,

So, apart from removing the stock op amps and replacing them with NE5532A (mouser part number 595-NE5532AP) I desoldered the four caps and replaced them with WIMA FKP (mouser part number FKP2D012701D00HA00).

Hello alphanumerics1, one question if you allow me, wima capacitors have a way to be assembled? I can't figure out if they have a positive and negative pole and how to differentiate them. Thank you.

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #5,680 of 5,721
I don't know about the STX II yet, but I have been running a full Burson V6 VIVID 7.1 RCA output from my Auzentech for the 2 years. It is the sweetest thing, I've ever heard, outside of small, live music clubs. MY HTPC needs to be upgraded and I need a PCI-E solution. I just got STX II card and I ordered the rest of the VIVIDS. I expect to die a happy man. I came here to see if anybody had ever modified the Faraday Cage (God, the geek in me loves typing Faraday). Anybody modded one yet?

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #5,681 of 5,721
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #5,682 of 5,721
IMHO, I doubt surround sound and sound stage are affected by which op-amps you use.
I have come across multiple quotes in this thread and other related treads saying that one op-amp made the sound stage wider and improved surround over the other. Some even claim it to make difference to level of improving surround by clearly distinguishing and giving clear separation to channels over headphone making movie watching experience improved a lot.

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #5,683 of 5,721
I've just recently replaced my Xonar D2X with the STX II 7.1 (I need surround and LFE) and am very happy with the improved sound.

I'm interested in upgrading my op-amps but I'm concerned about removing the EMF sheild. Wouldn't that cause noise? My PC is also used for movies (with video processing etc), gaming etc.

Also I read in some of the earlier posts that some people had heat and reliability issues with Bursons. Is this no longer an issue?

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #5,684 of 5,721
@18000rpm The BURSON® V5i is the largest dual-amplifier module that will fit under the ASUS® XONAR® Essence™ ST/X/II's stock RFI shield; I have it shortlisted for the I-V of my STX with a Signetics® NE5532 shortlisted for the line-level buffer. In either of my µATX desktops (viz., the ASUS® CM1630-06 (ASUS M4A78LT-M/CM1630/DP_MB) and/or the Hot Rod gPC (GIGABYTE® GA-MA78GM-S2HP 2.0), I'd need the original ST to utilize any of the V5, V6 Classic, or V6 Vivid, short of retrofitting any of Burson's 5-1/4" half-height head-amp modules; both desktops' 'boards have the PCI x1 and x16 adjacent, with the legacy PCI 2.2 slots at the system unit foot in both cases.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #5,685 of 5,721
@18000rpm The BURSON® V5i is the largest dual-amplifier module that will fit under the ASUS® XONAR® Essence™ ST/X/II's stock RFI shield; I have it shortlisted for the I-V of my STX with a Signetics® NE5532 shortlisted for the line-level buffer. In either of my µATX desktops (viz., the ASUS® CM1630-06 (ASUS M4A78LT-M/CM1630/DP_MB) and/or the Hot Rod gPC (GIGABYTE® GA-MA78GM-S2HP 2.0), I'd need the original ST to utilize any of the V5, V6 Classic, or V6 Vivid, short of retrofitting any of Burson's 5-1/4" half-height head-amp modules; both desktops' 'boards have the PCI x1 and x16 adjacent, with the legacy PCI 2.2 slots at the system unit foot in both cases.

Ah, so I can buy 3 DUAL BURSON V5i (I'm using RCA outputs) and keep my EMF shield. Are there any reliability/overheating issues with the V5i?

And for those of you who removed the EMF shield, do you get any additional noise?

How can I buy V5i when they show this chart :confounded:

V6-S4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back