The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #4,772 of 5,721
  I've came across, many times, on comments concerning the Unified Xonar drivers and I was quite qurious, using them. What do they offer more than the Asus Drivers? If I use them will I have sonic improvement?

I believe with Unified Xonar drivers, your getting updates included that Asus has not gotten around to including in their software.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #4,773 of 5,721
  I believe with Unified Xonar drivers, your getting updates included that Asus has not gotten around to including in their software.

Thanks for the link. 

I read it and it's obvious that they have invested their time to offer great support. I'll give it a try purple angel and I'll write my impressions. I'm quite new on the Essence ST thing but after a month of experience wit asus xonar drivers I cannot say that they are the best...  What a pity not to support a great product with such an acceptance, as it worths...

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #4,774 of 5,721
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.
Try installing the Unified Xonar drivers.
Try upping the STX gain to 64-300
For music audio, do you set the STX's "Audio channel" to 2-channel?

Try using Foobar2000 (with component updates) for playing music audio files

ok, but how do I set the bass level? and how do I set 5.1 channels in Windows 7?

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #4,775 of 5,721
  I've just bought the Xonar Essence STX a few days ago. I have two problems with it:

1. There isn't enough bass, even the on-board sound card gives more bass. Maybe I need to tweak something in the Audio Center?

2. In order to squeeze 100% from this card I have to install this WASABI thing(using Win 7)?

I'm using it only with my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro headphones, not going to use any external speakers and/or amp/DAC.

Anyone knows?

TIA

Make sure you are in 2 channels and NOT using non of the Dolby gx game modes ect these mess with the overall sound and sound terrible in stereo all so make sure you have the right ohm's set for your headphones..

Also i find any of the  on-board sound-cards to be very muddy in bass sound so this can be misleading and sound very bass heavy but the overall quality of it is poor..I can tell you the bass of my xoner is fantastic all-most on par with my rme 9632 and that triple in price...

Use the Asus eq to add more bass i use a small classic eq smile ....cut the midrange up the bass

hope this helps

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4,777 of 5,721
ok, but how do I set the bass level? and how do I set 5.1 channels in Windows 7?

For inputting a 5.1 (6-channel) audio signal into the STX, go to the Xonar Control Panel and set Audio Channel to 6-Channels.
There is a also a tab for the EQ, but I removed my STX a few weeks ago, so I can't remember exactly where it is in the control panel (never used it).

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #4,778 of 5,721
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....Try installing the Unified Xonar drivers.
Try upping the STX gain to 64-300
For music audio, do you set the STX's "Audio channel" to 2-channel?

Try using Foobar2000 (with component updates) for playing music audio files

I recently had to reinstall Microsoft® Windows® 7.0.8001 (Kernel 6.1.7601) from a back-up image from 2011 and upgrade a lot of software.  Be advised that certain multimedia server apps, e.g., ManyCam® 3.0-up and its competition, will interfere with the installation of both the Asus® XONAR® Audio Center™ (C-Media® CMI8788 Driver 7.12.8.1792) and the Unified XONAR® Audio Software™ (different CMI8788 Drivers dep. on release) - I had to uninstall ManyCam® 4.0.44 before Unified XONAR® Audio Software™ 1.64.2 (CMI8788 Driver 8.0.8.1815) would install properly.  I selected the C-Media® Audio Controller DLL with GX enabled, as I wish to test GX with some online audio services.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #4,779 of 5,721
  For inputting a 5.1 (6-channel) audio signal into the STX, go to the Xonar Control Panel and set Audio Channel to 6-Channels.
There is a also a tab for the EQ, but I removed my STX a few weeks ago, so I can't remember exactly where it is in the control panel (never used it).

Did you remove it because you didn't like it or because you upgraded to a better hardware?

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #4,780 of 5,721
  Did you remove it because you didn't like it or because you upgraded to a better hardware?

Really did not have anything again using the STX, still think it's a great bang for the buck.
I did the swap to the NFB-15.32 for a lot of minor reasons.
I have some low impedance headphones and the 15.32 headphone output impedance is only 2-Ohms, compared to the STX's 10-Ohm.
I have 600-Ohm headphones and thought the 15.32 more powerful headphone amplifier might(?) drive them a little better.
The 15.32's dual DAC chips (WM8741) are 128SNR compared to the STX's DAC chips (PCM1792A) 124SNR.
The 15.32 being totally external, eliminated the very slight electrical noise in the audio signal.
The 15.32 gives me a volume knob right as my finger tips.
I justified the 15.32's expense by thinking I would be able to sell off the STX.
I have a Xonar DX laying around and it has the same audio processor as the STX,
so I could connect the DX to the 15.32 using S/PDIF (still be able to use the DX's headphone surround sound feature.
Also felt I had to try something new.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #4,781 of 5,721
Really did not have anything again using the STX, still think it's a great bang for the buck.
I did the swap to the NFB-15.32 for a lot of minor reasons.
I have some low impedance headphones and the 15.32 headphone output impedance is only 2-Ohms, compared to the STX's 10-Ohm.
I have 600-Ohm headphones and thought the 15.32 more powerful headphone amplifier might(?) drive them a little better.
The 15.32's dual DAC chips (WM8741) are 128SNR compared to the STX's DAC chips (PCM1792A) 124SNR.
The 15.32 being totally external, eliminated the very slight electrical noise in the audio signal.
The 15.32 gives me a volume knob right as my finger tips.
I justified the 15.32's expense by thinking I would be able to sell off the STX.
I have a Xonar DX laying around and it has the same audio processor as the STX,
so I could connect the DX to the 15.32 using S/PDIF (still be able to use the DX's headphone surround sound feature.
Also felt I had to try something new.

Do you recommended using a DAC/amp with the STX? this is what will give me more bass?

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #4,782 of 5,721
I have a Essence STX with a custom O2 amplifier connected via RCA. My primary headphones are a pair of Denon AH-D5000 with a "light markl mod".
Is there any benefit from op amp rolling when using the RCA output? I tried some different op amps when I was using the built in amplifier but always came back to the stock setup.

The O2 does however sound much better compared to the built in amplifier with my (low impedance) headphones.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,783 of 5,721
Do you recommended using a DAC/amp with the STX? this is what will give me more bass?

I would assume the STX would bring out as much "quality" bass as possible for the HD380 Pro.
If the HD380 Pro was plugged into a jack with a high output impedance, then chances are it would cause a bloated (louder, but less detail) bass.
You can plug a external or add-on DAC to the STX, just an amp the line-output (RCA jacks)
Otherwise right now my brain can't think of anything else that might be causing the STX to have the bass issue.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #4,784 of 5,721
I would assume the STX would bring out as much "quality" bass as possible for the HD380 Pro.
If the HD380 Pro was plugged into a jack with a high output impedance, then chances are it would cause a bloated (louder, but less detail) bass.
You can plug a external or add-on DAC to the STX, just an amp the line-output (RCA jacks)
Otherwise right now my brain can't think of anything else that might be causing the STX to have the bass issue.

lol ok. Then maybe s different headphones are the solution? anything you can recommend(like the HD 380 Pro, closed, very sound isolating, same sound signature but with more bass)?

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,785 of 5,721
I have been using the Stx for two years now, started with the HD 380's and went to the HD 650 Sennheisers and while it worked good, I looked for more quality.  I tried a dragonfly dac v.2 and returned it almost immediately.  The Stx's dac section is actually quite good. The amp on the other hand leaves something to be desired.  After much searching decided on the Project Ember (http://garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm)  It is a hybrid amp that uses a dual triode tube and also op amps in the output.  It is a very powerful headphone amp, they also have other amps that are just right for a lower price range.  To my ears this fills the bill for me.  The sound has more body, a much fuller sound than the stx.  I use rca's out to the Ember and love it.  It makes tube rolling (trying different tubes) so much easier.  No bias to set just plug and play.  Garage 1217 is working on a solid state amp as well, so if you prefer a solid state amp, this could fill the bill.  A very helpful customer service and it is made in the USA! which, if you care, is a plus. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back