The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #5,717 of 5,721
Hi. Could anyone list usb dacs or dac/amps that sounds clearer and overall better than a essence ST in the less than ~200 range?. I prefer not warm ones.
Thanks.
I would guess a modern $100 USB DAC would equal the Essence ST (PCI) sound card.

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #5,718 of 5,721
I would guess a modern $100 USB DAC would equal the Essence ST (PCI) sound card.
Many thanks for your answer PurpleAngel.
The essesnce ST was popular specially for its headphone amp. Do you think any $100 dongle or device should sound better?. But what about a bit older ones like ifi nano?. Do you dare to give any models were an improve over the ST?

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #5,719 of 5,721
Many thanks for your answer PurpleAngel.
The Essesnce ST was popular specially for its headphone amp. Do you think any $100 dongle or device should sound better?. But what about a bit older ones like ifi nano?. Do you dare to give any models were an improve over the ST?
I own the Essence STX (PCI-E), and used aftermarket op-amps.
Stopped using it years ago and now stick to USB DACs.
I've listened to modern $100 USB DACs and to me they sounded just as good as my STX.
So something like a $150 Topping (E30 II) DAC should be pleasing to your ears :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #5,721 of 5,721
Hopefully I'll get a NOS XONARESSENCESTXII/A main card and XONARH6/B expander. The snd-virtuoso driver by the Advanced LinUX Sound Architecture Project fully supports the combi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back