The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0
Mar 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #1,067 of 1,243
Wow! These are good. How do they take to burn-in?

Not needed. Insert in ear, press play.

The HS3303 are only £5 whilst the Pistons are £18?

In UK fake Samsungs are between £3 and £10. Real ones tend to be from about £11 (bulk packaging, white, only 1 small set of tips) to about £25 (boxed, choice of colours, sold by Samsung online store).

Genuine Pistons from ibuygou.com start at about £5 for the plastic ones, and between £11 and £20 for the metal ones, price varies with colour.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,068 of 1,243
Not needed. Insert in ear, press play.
In UK fake Samsungs are between £3 and £10. Real ones tend to be from about £11 (bulk packaging, white, only 1 small set of tips) to about £25 (boxed, choice of colours, sold by Samsung online store).

Genuine Pistons from ibuygou.com start at about £5 for the plastic ones, and between £11 and £20 for the metal ones, price varies with colour.

These are sold directly by Amazon. And how do they compare to the LG Quadbeat 2s?

Jeez, so many cheap earphones I want to buy!

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,069 of 1,243
These are sold directly by Amazon. And how do they compare to the LG Quadbeat 2s?

They might be OK, at least you get a guarantee and an easy refund if they are fakes. But I wouldn't get my hopes up too much about a product branded "SAMRICK" instead of Samsung, especially when the actual Samsung branded item sold by Amazon is priced at £10.52.

There are so many fake Samsung earphones out there that I would just avoid anything that uses odd names, odd descriptions, unconventional product names/numbers, is amazingly cheap, or is in any way not plainly the real deal.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,072 of 1,243
  I am thinking of adding a dab of epoxy to the buttons to make them easier to find with my fingers without having to look at them.

Used some Gorilla Glue.  It bubbles and expands a bit while drying.

Now the buttons are fantastic.  

The center button has a very large bump that makes it easy to locate.  It also takes less force to press the button now, because the pressure is always centered.
The volume buttons have smaller bumps that ensure i don't accidentally leave my fingers on them and press them while squeezing the center button. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,073 of 1,243

The center button has a very large bump that makes it easy to locate.  It also takes less force to press the button now, because the pressure is always centered.
The volume buttons have smaller bumps that ensure i don't accidentally leave my fingers on them and press them while squeezing the center button. 

I agree that the headset controller is the weakest part of the Piston 2 design. The plastic version has the same control functions but an easier and more tactile and lighter form, definitely easier to understand and control simply by touch. When it comes to something hanging from your ears plastic is lighter and better because it allows big buttons/surfaces without weight penalty. It looks like the Piston 3 gets this right, though I don't have a pair yet to confirm. It's also a better decision to put the headset controls to one side or the other instead of centrally below the Y joint....a controller nearer the ear is always available even if the cable is routed under clothing, it's always obvious where it is, which way up it is, and if there are big plastic control surfaces you can also manage with numb or gloved hands. Non-symmetrical can look a bit clunky and unkewl but is easier to live with for anyone who is not a total fashion victim.

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #1,075 of 1,243
I noticed some stores sell the silver V.2 edition, but the little control buttons thing on the wire looks plastic white instead of metallic, like here: 
S-SCS-4312B.jpg
 Could that mean they are  fake or something?

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,080 of 1,243

I agree that the headset controller is the weakest part of the Piston 2 design. The plastic version has the same control functions but an easier and more tactile and lighter form, definitely easier to understand and control simply by touch. When it comes to something hanging from your ears plastic is lighter and better because it allows big buttons/surfaces without weight penalty. It looks like the Piston 3 gets this right, though I don't have a pair yet to confirm. It's also a better decision to put the headset controls to one side or the other instead of centrally below the Y joint....a controller nearer the ear is always available even if the cable is routed under clothing, it's always obvious where it is, which way up it is, and if there are big plastic control surfaces you can also manage with numb or gloved hands. Non-symmetrical can look a bit clunky and unkewl but is easier to live with for anyone who is not a total fashion victim.

I agree on that - better plastic in your ears than metal with the added weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back