The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0
Sep 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #61 of 1,243
  I've had my Pistons 2 for nearly a week now, with around 40 hours burn-in time already. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much from the Pistons, but I'm underwhelmed. They are phenomenal for the price (at least compared most IEMs available at your local shop) but to me they're still not as good as HeadFi's perennial budget favorite, the Philips 3580. I also have the Sony MH1C which is very similar to the 3580 and likewise the Pistons, and Pistons sound are like an inferior version of both. They're similar in spite the fact that they're all V-shaped, but the Pistons seem to be tuned to sound more energetic rather than accurate. On the Pistons, bass is boomier, mids less recessed, treble sparkly and with an airy presentation (wider than MH1C, but not as wide as 3580). But sub-bass and mid-bass detailing is clearly inferior on the Pistons, and they just don't dig as deep. I'm also not happy with the mid-bass bleed. 

It doesn't really do anything bad as it's already superbly tuned out of the box, but I feel like they should've left more headroom for EQing, as the Pistons relatively aren't as receptive when EQed. For instance, adding a forward peak starting from around 7 Khz would normally widen the soundstage, brighten treble and smoothen bass a bit, but the Pistons react to this change by hollowing the entire spectrum and making the highs very shrill (possibly because of the chamber composition? The Pistons are metal). 

Either way, I'm in no way saying they're bad, but they're very hyped. They're a jack of all trades and is the perfect upgrade for the not so discerning. It doesn't pick any genres, it just sounds good regardless. You can tell by all the people who bought it recently and think the Pistons 2 are the best thing they've ever heard. But since it can't even match the clarity and detail retrieval of the old (and cheaper) 3580, I say it isn't as good as it was hyped. Anyone who's jumped into the Vsonic train two years ago, or already have a 3580 won't find an upgrade in the Pistons 2. Not unless they need a mic. 

Anyway, at least I can thank (or curse) these Pistons 2 purchase for making me interested in portable audio again. I've since ordered a KZ ED Special Edition and TTPod T1E, both of which are supposedly V-shaped too. I'm getting a Havi B3 down the line, but I'm not really too eager to get one asap since my coworker has one and I already know how great they sound (they're better than the GR07 BE and RE-400 imo, and for only $60 too!).

Thank god, I am not the only one, who doesn't like the Pistons. Good for their price-tag, but nothing more. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #65 of 1,243
LOL I also don't like the Pistons - sue me! 
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 1,243

I don't think the Pistons are bad at all, but they do have some weaknesses. I think it's good to point them out for people to get an different perspective.

Nevertheless too much praising do more harm than good imo and there was no blind hate about them when the critics were said. The poster just described what he heard.

For 20$ they are well worth their money for sure, but we should encourage people, who have negative experiences to also voice their opinion.
Headfi should be an open discussion forum and not an marketing tool. If we disallow negative opinions it becomes to that.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #67 of 1,243

I don't think the Pistons are bad at all, but they do have some weaknesses. I think it's good to point them out for people to get an different perspective.

Nevertheless too much praising do more harm than good imo and there was no blind hate about them when the critics were said. The poster just described what he heard.

For 20$ they are well worth their money for sure, but we should encourage people, who have negative experiences to also voice their opinion.
Headfi should be an open discussion forum and not an marketing tool. If we disallow negative opinions it becomes to that.

You make a good point. All I could say really. Sorry about the little scuffle back there.
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #69 of 1,243
I got my pistons today from Amazon. Its nice that Xiaomi put so much thought in the packaging. The build quality is stellar. I've spent a few hours with them, but I'm still undecided. I'm coming from full sized headphones and my experience with IEMs is limited. I always mess around with the equalizer, however the pistons seem very resistant to any changes in the higher ranges. They appear to be pretty well tuned out of the box but I was hoping the soundstage was wider. Will see after I've given them time to break in.  

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #70 of 1,243
  symphony, if you want to sell your pistons, let me know how much you'll sell for.  thanks! 

Well, I've decided to keep them since I still need a pair with an in-line microphone from time to time. The flat and asymmetrical cable on the MH1C is rather dreadful on the go.

Quote:
  I got my pistons today from Amazon. Its nice that Xiaomi put so much thought in the packaging. The build quality is stellar. I've spent a few hours with them, but I'm still undecided. I'm coming from full sized headphones and my experience with IEMs is limited. I always mess around with the equalizer, however the pistons seem very resistant to any changes in the higher ranges. They appear to be pretty well tuned out of the box but I was hoping the soundstage was wider. Will see after I've given them time to break in.  

This is my main gripe with the Pistons 2. They're excellent out of the box, but leave much to be desired if you like to tweak with the equalizer. The Pistons aren't as receptive to EQing compared to something like the 3580. Without equalization, the Pistons do trump the 3580, even if my 3580 already have well over 1000 hours on them (I've owned it for 2 1/2 years already). With my equalizer settings, the 3580 pretty much beats it at everything except bass texturization. You can achieve a wider soundstage, better crispness and clarity, more natural mids and more tamed highs on the 3580 (the 3580 is known for its sparkly, fatiguing highs, even after some burn in, but the same goes for the Pistons to a lesser degree).

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #71 of 1,243
We have someone on the old thread that equalize the piston for live recording. And i believe someone has equaliZation settings in viper4android for piston too. Though it's burried deep in there lol

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #72 of 1,243
Amazing work TBG. I still can't get my hands on one of them. Have posted on FB hoping someone to help me out. Anyways back to the thread...One thing I would like to see here is Pictures of fake vs Real.Here is the perfect one- https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2UrPKfKwCmsUnFuRmlHMnFZaWs/edit (You need to get the things right by editing O.o (Sorry LOL). Also I have a question regarding the pistons themselves- I really need EQing on my Philips SHP1900 and did need it on my now DEAD Skull Candy Ink'D 2.0 (R.I.P.) So now what? If these just mess up everything by EQing then what? If these don't suit what I'd rather prefer...Hmm some opinions would help. Thanks oh and if you can think of any others that mght replace them,they are welcome. :)

EDIT: Found one more link to help out: http://www.pandawillforum.com/showthread.php?25739-How-to-know-your-XIAOMI-Piston-Earphone-is-genuine-one Hope that helps :)

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #74 of 1,243
Admittedly, the pistons are only great IEMs for their price, and please note this is coming from a $15 purchase.  I only bought mine as backup while my downtowns are under repair.  I know I may get an upgrade itch with these, but with impressions comparing these to other IEMs worth $30 and above, I will have a hard time looking for better IEMs.  I am shy spending >$50 on IEMs, coz I prefer more comfortable headphones, but if i do find worthy IEMs that can spare me from sweaty cups on hot days, I am wiling tol spend more.

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #75 of 1,243
Hmm...I can buy the Philips SHE 3580/3590 for less than 8$ and they are available right now. It is really in my budget. (Meaning I don't even have to beg from my parents for this one,oh I am 13 lol) So what say? I might just wait for the pistons but if these are worth a shot I might just go for the pistons next time around. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back