The world's first UIEM and CIEM version of Dual DD+Quad BA! LEAR BD4.2 is now availble !
Jan 23, 2014 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

lear-hk

Sponsor: LEAR
LEAR’s latest flagship UIEM/CIEM, Quad Balanced Armature and Dual 6mm Dynamic drivers, temporarily named LCM/LUF-2D4B earlier, is now officially named as LCM/LUF BD4.2!   The “BD” refers to hybrid with Balanced Armature and Dynamic (Moving Coil) drivers, which the numbers shown beforehand refer to the amount respectively. 
BD4.2 (Pronounced- B-D-Four-Point-Two), refers to 4 balanced armature and 2 dynamic drivers in each side of the earphones. 
We hope this to be clearer in speaking and understanding. 

The designs and features of BD4.2 are shown as below: 

1- It consists of two LEAR’s low distortion, high quality & sensitivity 6mm Dynamic Drivers as the “low frequency drivers” with the fine crafted “acoustic low pass filter” technique to ensure the powerful, solid, and distortionless bass sound. Neither the traditional multi BA drivers, nor the traditional single dynamic hybrid type can compared with the BD4.2. 

2- 4 precisely matched balanced armature drivers which 2 for mid & high frequencies respectively. They are connected with electronic crossover with LEAR’s “Metallic Acoustic Sound Type” design to achieve the most accurate and clearest sound in the range. 

3- Integrated electronic and acoustic 3 way crossover, with 4 individual sound bore output (LCM-5 has 3 bores), 2 low, 1 mid, and 1 high frequencies reproduction. 

4- Built in custom tuning knob design, for which you can adjust the sound for “Studio Reference Sound”, to “General Pop Style Sound”. A single pair of earphones, with a varied style!

The SRP of LCM(Custom made version) BD4.2 is HKD$9998 (USD$1400 ,Free international shipping ,except country which have LEAR official Dealers already )

And LUF (Universal Fit version) HKD$8888 (USD $1260 ,Free international shipping ,except country which have LEAR official Dealers already )

3272.jpg

3273.jpg
 ​
3317.jpg
As an universal fit in ear monitor for anybody.Fitting is an extremely serious matter for obtaining the best sound and the overall sound will also change dramatically when using with different ear tips and insertion depth ! Please feel free to take a look of what we are recommended for choosing the ear tips.

The reference sound(doesn't means the best which you must love!) which LEAR suppose you can be heard will just appeared when the "A" ear tips fit well and perfectly into your ear or please consider to order BD4.2 in Custom fit(LCM-BD4.2) version!

3318.jpg

3319.jpg
 ​
 ​
3274.jpg
Recommended tuning setting(position):

Studio monitor reference sound: 8~12 O'clock
Pop and general taste : 12~3 O'clock
Solid Deep and powerful bass: 3~4 O'clock

To drives the BD4.2 to it's best and original sound , Using with the LEAR FSM-02V2 portable headphone amplifier is recommended !
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
3279.jpg
 ​
3280.jpg
 ​
3281.jpg
 ​
3282.jpg
 ​
 ​

26/5/2014 Update:

3413.jpg
New design(front) moves the air hole from faceplate(back) to the shell body

3412.jpg
The latest LUF-BD4.2 (Transparent black + LEAR Gold Logo)

Please be inform that we do a small modification to the latest LUF/LCM- BD4.2 (orders after 20th of May 2014), which moves the air hole from the bottom of the faceplate to the upper side of the body shell.

This modification do no affect to the sound but ensure a complete faceplate especially for some custom or special artwork design!

Of course customers can request to keep the old design, but the modification will become the factory default if no special request!

Thanks for all your kind support!

LEAR

LEAR website :http://lear-eshop.com
LEAR Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/LearHongKong
Inquiry : PM or Email: info@fs-digital.net

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 70
Very interesting I can't wait for a hands on review though.

Happy to help with that! I'll be checking them out and will post my findings. Need to make some new impressions and get them sent in ASAP. I have high expectations based on my history with their dual driver LCM-2b and their prior flagship, the LCM-5. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 70
using dynamic driver for low frequency is great idea, but it appears it needs an amp to drive that ( I don't use an amp at all )

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 70
An amp is not a must have for most of the earphones/headphones.
A good quality amp will be good for any of the earphones/headphones for sure.
As almost all of the earphones/headphones were designed and R&D under a reference headphone amplifier.
Otherwise, engineers won't have a reference point for their products which under R&D state.

However, BD4.2 will works well with normal players or smart phones,and works better with high quality music players, but  using with a high quality amp or LEAR FSM-02V2(officially recommended) ,
will enjoy the best overall performance and which is the best quality which we expect our customers to be heard !

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #9 of 70
An amp is not a must have for most of the earphones/headphones.
A good quality amp will be good for any of the earphones/headphones for sure.
As almost all of the earphones/headphones were designed and R&D under a reference headphone amplifier.
Otherwise, engineers won't have a reference point for their products which under R&D state.

However, BD4.2 will works well with normal players or smart phones,and works better with high quality music players, but  using with a high quality amp or LEAR FSM-02V2(officially recommended) ,
will enjoy the best overall performance and which is the best quality which we expect our customers to be heard !

:popcorn:
any idea if it'll go well with clip+ or clip zip.

also any pics of the universal version from various angles.
looking to see if it's the usual 'short nozzle, large body, no helix lock' type.

any FR and or Phase/impedance chart?
I'm not entirely sure why 2 dds, but the overall package looks pretty appealing.
does the tuning knob go between fixed step values or is it smooth (I'd be extra cautious if there's a tuning imbalance :) ). is it bass port adjustment only or something else? (nvm sounds like more)

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 70
popcorn.gif

any idea if it'll go well with clip+ or clip zip.

also any pics of the universal version from various angles.
looking to see if it's the usual 'short nozzle, large body, no helix lock' type.

any FR and or Phase/impedance chart?
I'm not entirely sure why 2 dds, but the overall package looks pretty appealing.
does the tuning knob go between fixed step values or is it smooth (I'd be extra cautious if there's a tuning imbalance
smily_headphones1.gif
). is it bass port adjustment only or something else? (nvm sounds like more)

I think it will go well with clip+ as it's  really a nice player which has  very low output impedance .

154540qxf2xeo8vfqx72bz.jpg

3306.jpg
 ​
3307.jpg
 ​
3305.jpg
 ​
3304.jpg
 ​
Why dual DD?
Because it will sounds louder and lower distortion than just one.

The tuning knob is smooth from 8 to 4 o'clock  and both left and right  are well matched and paired.
The knob is not a port , and it is used to precisely control the volume of dual DD and which will be influence the overall performance!

Feb 8, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 70
I think it will go well with clip+ as it's  really a nice player which has  very low output impedance .

154540qxf2xeo8vfqx72bz.jpg

3306.jpg

3307.jpg

3305.jpg

3304.jpg

Why dual DD?
Because it will sounds louder and lower distortion than just one.

The tuning knob is smooth from 8 to 4 o'clock  and both left and right  are well matched and paired.
The knob is not a port , and it is used to precisely control the volume of dual DD and which will be influence the overall performance!

Thank you for the prompt response. I'm not really worried about mismatched components, but more turning the knobs by eye as they're smooth to get a matched position :)
maybe you guys can put some notches around it to indicate how far along it's turned or something. IDK. maybe it's not really a problem.

Any FR chart ones?

for clip + I'm not worried about the <=1ohm output impedance but more if it can drive it loud enough . what are the IEMs impedance and SPL :) if available?

ps do you guys do recessed sockets for these - or not enough space inside the large looking shell :)?

pps - what is the best way to order these from australia?

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 70
Thank you for the prompt response. I'm not really worried about mismatched components, but more turning the knobs by eye as they're smooth to get a matched position
smily_headphones1.gif

maybe you guys can put some notches around it to indicate how far along it's turned or something. IDK. maybe it's not really a problem.

Any FR chart ones?

for clip + I'm not worried about the <=1ohm output impedance but more if it can drive it loud enough . what are the IEMs impedance and SPL
smily_headphones1.gif
if available?

ps do you guys do recessed sockets for these - or not enough space inside the large looking shell
smily_headphones1.gif
?

pps - what is the best way to order these from australia?

The knob has an indication sticker (The small black color one which surround the knob ) to indicate the position:

3274.jpg
 ​
and we will demonstrate how it works soon! Please don't worry about it ,as it is really an easy job for any of the users.

The BD4.2 has very high sensitive and which I would just need to turn to about 60%~70% volume of iPod Classic and which is loud enough for me.

We do not make recessed socket, but MMCX socket is an optional for customers who don't want the 2pin CM socket.

Just leave us a mail to (info@lear.hk) or simply PM us for ordering.

Thanks for your keeping interest to BD4.2!

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 70
The knob has an indication sticker (The small black color one which surround the knob ) to indicate the position:

3274.jpg

and we will demonstrate how it works soon! Please don't worry about it ,as it is really an easy job for any of the users.

The BD4.2 has very high sensitive and which I would just need to turn to about 60%~70% volume of iPod Classic and which is loud enough for me.

We do not make recessed socket, but MMCX socket is an optional for customers who don't want the 2pin CM socket.

Just leave us a mail to (info@lear.hk) or simply PM us for ordering.

Thanks for your keeping interest to BD4.2!

thanks . What size nozzle on the universals ? (do comply T/tx400 or 500 fit?). what accessories does it come with, incl tips

ps sent you guys another million questions :D

>MMCX socket is an optional for customers who don't want the 2pin CM socket

a) how are people's experiences with these? I've tried them on a few demo IEMs, but not sure about long term durability. I think people were saying they might start crackling after a few months and you need to clean them .

a)i)are the mmcx sockets extra?

b) what size are the tips (e.g comply t400)?

c) what's the warranty like for the universal and what happens if the universal doesn't fit me at all? (I'm worried about the short looking nozzle)

d) when would you ship if I order today or tomorrow.

e) how is the isolation on those, and does the port on the faceplate have an extra filter to cut out the noise and keep the dust out?

f) what are the standard cables like? How long is the memory wire on them (I like it long to aid seal and keeping it in my ears :D ) . are the standard cables C2?
f)i) is there an option for a straight plug, or a plug that will fit a phone case (this seems to be a common theme for many people)
f)ii) are there cables with mics as well?

i) what accessories does it come with (what tips are included etc)

j) where can i have a look at the universal faceplate and body options for these and what are the prices?

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 70
thanks . What size nozzle on the universals ? (do comply T/tx400 or 500 fit?). what accessories does it come with, incl tips

ps sent you guys another million questions
biggrin.gif

T500 is preferred   .

The LUF-BD4.2 will comes with a pair of 3 flange tips,S and M size silicone tips,LEAR LF2 foams and LEAR standard black foams,
Otter box pursuit 20 , LEAR C2 black cable (get one more for free if ordered before 10th of Feb), cleaning tool,soft pouch,etc.

2772.jpg
picture not showing the ear tips which comes with​

a) how are people's experiences with these? I've tried them on a few demo IEMs, but not sure about long term durability. I think people were saying they might start crackling after a few months and you need to clean them .

So far so good, but actually most of our customers prefer CM as well.

Yes, USD$15 for the MMCX socket.

T500

c) what's the warranty like for the universal and what happens if the universal doesn't fit me at all? (I'm worried about the short looking nozzle)

1 Year warranty (Free maintenance and repair does not cover man-caused (man-made) damage.You could add USD$96 for custom made ear tip or add USD$235 to remake it to CM version if the universal doesn't fit you at all.

Shipping will be about 14~21working days for Universal fit and 21~31 working days for Custom made start from the day which we've received your ear impression.

e) how is the isolation on those, and does the port on the faceplate have an extra filter to cut out the noise and keep the dust out?

Same as most of the good quality universal fit in ear monitors,and the actual isolation will depends on which ear tips you are using and the fitting.
The port on the faceplate will not obviously affect the isolation of the earphone, and the filter will prevent the dust going into the earphone too.

f) what are the standard cables like? How long is the memory wire on them (I like it long to aid seal and keeping it in my ears
biggrin.gif
) . are the standard cables C2?

Yes! Every LEAR LCM/LUF will comes with LEAR C2 in black color ,but clear version of C2 is free selectable for BD4.2 only ! It has about 9~9.5cm long of the memory wire.

f)i) is there an option for a straight plug, or a plug that will fit a phone case (this seems to be a common theme for many people)

The C2 has already built with small straight plug which will fit a phone case.

Yes, but need to order in separate

3303.jpg
This is handmade with high quality silver plated copper cable with mic and remote for android smart phone by LEAR ($170 including shipping and Paypal charge) for your reference.

​
j) where can i have a look at the universal faceplate and body options for these and what are the prices?

All of those are selectable :

2819.jpg
2820.jpg
2821.jpg
2822.jpg
2823.jpg
2824.jpg
2825.jpg
2826.jpg
2827.jpg
2828.jpg
2829.jpg
2830.jpg
2831.jpg
2832.jpg
2833.jpg
 ​
 ​
Special faceplate ,Add USD$ 55 :
 ​

​
2311.jpg
True Wood (Genuine wood )
 ​
2838.jpg
Illusion​
 ​
2839.jpg
Metallic

2834.jpg
2835.jpg
True Texture​

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #15 of 70
T500 is preferred   .

The LUF-BD4.2 will comes with a pair of 3 flange tip,S and M size silicone tip,LEAR LF2 foam and LEAR standard black foam,
Otter box pursuit 20 , LEAR C2 black cable (get one more for free if ordered before 10th of Feb), cleaning tool,soft pouch,etc.

2772.jpg

picture not showing the ear tips which comes with​

[COLOR=FF0000]So far so good, but actually most of our customers prefer CM as well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Yes, USD$15 for the MMCX socket.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]T500[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]1 Year warranty (Free maintenance and repair does not cover man-caused (man-made) damage.[/COLOR]) [COLOR=FF0000]You could add USD$96 for custom made ear tip or add USD$235 to remake it to CM version if the universal doesn't fit you at all.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Shipping will be about 14~21working days for Universal fit and 21~31 working days for Custom made start from the day which we've received your ear impression.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Same as most of the good quality universal fit in ear monitors,and the actual isolation will depends on which ear tips you are using and the fitting.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]The port on the faceplate will not obviously affect the isolation of the earphone, and the filter will prevent the dust going into the earphone too.[/COLOR]

f) what are the standard cables like? How long is the memory wire on them (I like it long to aid seal and keeping it in my ears :D ) . are the standard cables C2?

[COLOR=FF0000]Yes! Every LEAR LCM/LUF will comes with LEAR C2 in black color . It has about 9~9.5cm long of the memory wire.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]The C2 has already built with small straight plug which will fit a phone case.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF0000]Yes, but need to order in separate[/COLOR]

3303.jpg

[COLOR=FF0000]....

i) what accessories does it come with (what tips are included etc)

[/COLOR]​

=) thanks for the quick responses. that all sounds pretty good. Would've probably preferred a 24 month wty like on the UM CIEMs/mentor, but anyhow I think 12m is industry standard

>f)i) is there an option for a straight angled plug, or a plug that will fit a phone case (this seems to be a common theme for many people)

sorry, that was meant to say angled plug not straight :frowning2:

other than that - the only other question is edit: oh wait you're adding those above :D

>j) where can i have a look at the universal faceplate and body options for these and what are the prices?

e.g. how much extra are CF faceplates, and is it printed cf or real cf, and are different colors (e.g. faceplate, shell, tips) extra? any other interesting options/how much?

oh - that looks like a nice mic cable. how much are they and can you guys make them both CM and MMCX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back