The World´s Best Headphones (for $100)
Feb 28, 2006 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

HighRoller777

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking to replace my old cheap heaphones with 3 sets of new ones, I dont want to spend any more than $100 each set, they will be used for:

580smile.gif
1 Set for listening to my ipod/pc/Television only at home(I have ordered a set of Grado SR60´s but they have not arrived yet)

580smile.gif
1 Set for listening to my ipod and Pc when I am on a Plane/train/poker game etc. Headphones that are not too big and have some kind of noise cancelling would be ideal.

580smile.gif
1 Set for listening to my ipod in bed! Headphones that are very confortable, wont break easy and still have great sound (although will be mainly used for listening to podcasts)

I hate the earbud type of heaphones and would prefer the type that rests on the ears and have a headband, are these called supraural?

Can anybody help me on which are the "best" for each of these uses?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 22
Alessandro MS1, Sennheiser HD280 or Audio Technica A500, and AKG k240s. All of them squeek in at under 100, and all sound good without a headphone amplifier. the AKGs and Senns will improve with and amp though.

The MS1 or k240s would be great for home use, the 280 is smallish enough to use on the plane, and cancels sound. The k240s will definitely work in bed, they are extremely comfortable, as are the A500s. They both have very big circumaural pads though, and you wouldn't be able to put your head on its side.

Another choice for the plane/train phones would be the AKG k 81, k 26 p, or k 27i. Small, portable, closed, good sound.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 22
What would probably be best is some IEMs (UM1, e2c, er6i, sfp3) or small portable closed headphones (PX200, k 26 p, k 81 dj) and a sub 200 dollar headphone, like the HD 580s or something, and then a CMoy or a MINT amp.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Or get one $200 headphone and one $100 headphone (portable/IEM)

this is what i would have done. 3 headphones at the same $100 pricepoint seems like a waste in redundancy, you're never actually breaking into where headphones start to have some finesse ($200 would have gotten you there).

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 22
as an alternative, you could spend the rest on a $200+ pair of IEM's. They would be ideal for pane/train/ maybe in bed, and would give you the isolation you're looking for. IEM's are basically earplugs that are earphones. they're different than earbuds in that the go into your ear like an earplug. the super.fi 5's are available for a hot price today, read the posts on it and the sale in the forum.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighRoller777
I hate the earbud type of heaphones and would prefer the type that rests on the ears and have a headband, are these called supraural
Thanks!

*cough* No IEMs. Telling us your musical preferences would help narrow the suggestions. I would also suggest that you get a $200 set of headphones over 2x $100 pairs.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 22
I ordered the Grados because I heard a lot of good things about them (are they really any good?). They dont look very comfortable though!

Now I have ordered them what is my best option 1 pair or 2? I dont like the earbud or even ear plug style, Although I have not tried them I prefer not to have stuff inserted into my body!

If one $200 pair is going to meet all the requirements I mentioned then I will go for just one more pair.

Maybe the solution:

Grados SR60 - Tv/Ipod at home/hi-fi

Sennheiser HD280 - Everything else. These look comfortable enough to wear in bed, anybody got these? any better ideas?

My music tastes = House, RnB, Hip-Hop, Pop,Rock. roughly in that order. I mostly like music with pleanty of bass and as I said before,I listen to a lot of audiobooks and podcasts and television.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

580smile.gif
1 Set for listening to my ipod/pc/Television only at home(I have ordered a set of Grado SR60´s but they have not arrived yet)

Good choice

Quote:

580smile.gif
1 Set for listening to my ipod and Pc when I am on a Plane/train/poker game etc. Headphones that are not too big and have some kind of noise cancelling would be ideal.

There aren't that many noise canceling headphones that are good except for PXC-250 (more than 100 bucks). Maybe try shure E2c or HD-280 pro

Quote:

580smile.gif
1 Set for listening to my ipod in bed! Headphones that are very confortable, wont break easy and still have great sound (although will be mainly used for listening to podcasts)

HD-555, Px-100,

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 22
You would have been better off buying a high grade comfy pair of headphones (with ear cushions that surround the ear), and something sealed and cheaper to help block out noise.

The Grado SR60's are pretty good, so wait till you receive them, and tell us how you like them, and then we can recommend some more cans. I don't find them very comfortable if using them for more than 2 hours personally

Do not buy anything else until you've had a chance to hear and get used to the SR60's. Patience is advised

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 22
I echo the sentiments about the Senn HD-280s. They have excellent sound, especially for the money. Quoth the HeadRoom review: Every once in a while somebody makes a mistake that gets things more right than they ought to be.

The 280s have excellent acoustic isolation, but they tend to grip your head like a C-clamp. Many don't mind this, but it drives some nuts. I suggest trying on a pair before purchasing. Personally, I cherish mine. They're great when my housemate is playing Doom III on the X-Box and the 650s won't sufficiently block out the demon roars and gun blasts.

[Tangent: there should be a 280 icon. Instead of the normal round smiley, it'd have to be somewhat elliptical due to the excess pressure caused by their vicelike grip.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back